Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you take a "Before" photo?

I have had a couple of people tell me I should take a 'before' photo to document the beginning of this journey. I can understand why some people would want that, and to each his own. But truthfully, every photo of me over the last 30 years has been a 'before' photo. Do I really need to take an underwear shot to remember what I look like? For those of you who are further along, did you need that photo to compare with your current appearance to know you are progressing? Will I regret it if I don't take one? (I guess the thought of a 'bikini pic' right now terrifies me....)

I would recommend a good before photograph so that you have something to compare it with after surgery. I would not recommend an underwear photo because you may be tempted to share it with someone. I would recommend a bathing suit photo. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success. In my case I was the photographer in the family and as a result I rarely appeared in photographs. Also when I looked in the mirror, all I could see is a front shot, so I didn't really see the extent of my obesity.

When I took my before photo, I used the time release function on the camera and took poses in several positions (front, back, right side, left side). This allowed me to recreate the same exact pose 6 months after surgery. This is the result.

Operation.jpg

I would recommend a good before photograph so that you have something to compare it with after surgery. I would not recommend an underwear photo because you may be tempted to share it with someone. I would recommend a bathing suit photo. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success. In my case I was the photographer in the family and as a result I rarely appeared in photographs. Also when I looked in the mirror, all I could see is a front shot, so I didn't really see the extent of my obesity.
When I took my before photo, I used the time release function on the camera and took poses in several positions (front, back, right side, left side). This allowed me to recreate the same exact pose 6 months after surgery. This is the result.

Operation.thumb.jpg.f60d4fbfe7cc276c5acd39a7015bed3c.jpg

I agree that photos are important to document your journey. We may not feel like we’re making much progress but then when we look back and compare it we can see a big difference in how our bodies are changing even if the scale isn’t moving. I have three outfits that I’m going to document my journey so that I can have them to look back on. Thanks for sharing!

I did black bike shorts and a tank top and I'm glad I did! I took the same shot about once a month and then professionally when I got to goal. Here are just a few

IMG_1923.JPG IMG_1925.JPG IMG_3304.JPG IMG_3303.JPG IMG_1926.JPG IMG_1927.JPG IMG_1928.JPG

Jess, this is a great visual -- thanks for sharing, and by the grace of God, there go I :-) Except for the marathons, because I cant walk cause of my feet. Maybe swim a marathon?? I do have a backyard pool... ps, I just showed my husband your journey and he's thinking you are hawt, LOL

Wow !! Ok, you all convinced me, before and afters will be done !! Thank you all so much, your pictures are all amazing! I love the idea of the same pose (Thank you James, you are a legend!) and the tank and bike shorts (great idea, Thank you Jess, you have my dream body !!)

Thank you all for replying, I'm loving this forum !!

I did black bike shorts and a tank top and I'm glad I did! I took the same shot about once a month and then professionally when I got to goal. Here are just a few

IMG_1923.JPG.cab1c8893abb3861c63323c050728c5b.JPG IMG_1925.JPG.9dc7240fc32eeaacb56c9279018202a2.JPG IMG_3304.JPG.fb8c2be887b0a8c3ed7507810c7a268d.JPG IMG_3303.JPG.21998e7065b95a0cee802fdfe77d8d7f.JPG IMG_1926.JPG.fe73acb7f3bacc431357dfb93c8d412f.JPG IMG_1927.JPG.b0b9998b26f05b586b3592d6f0f269e8.JPG IMG_1928.JPG.276cfa15557607711c71ec765bbf8300.JPG

I’ve been reading a lot of your comments and posts and I just want to tell you that you are an inspiration. Thank you for being here.

Jess, this is a great visual -- thanks for sharing, and by the grace of God, there go I :-) Except for the marathons, because I cant walk cause of my feet. Maybe swim a marathon?? I do have a backyard pool... ps, I just showed my husband your journey and he's thinking you are hawt, LOL

Awww thanks! Swimming is awesome!

I’ve been reading a lot of your comments and posts and I just want to tell you that you are an inspiration. Thank you for being here.

Awww thanks! Blush!

Thanks Jess for the tank top and shorts idea. I'm now where you were in the beginning (will have VSG early January) and am excited to see the transformation as I go down this exciting path !

I have had a couple of people tell me I should take a 'before' photo to document the beginning of this journey. I can understand why some people would want that, and to each his own. But truthfully, every photo of me over the last 30 years has been a 'before' photo. Do I really need to take an underwear shot to remember what I look like? For those of you who are further along, did you need that photo to compare with your current appearance to know you are progressing? Will I regret it if I don't take one? (I guess the thought of a 'bikini pic' right now terrifies me....)

I regret not taking any photos before my surgery. I did not have any full body pictures of myself because I hated taking pictures when I was over weight, now trying to find a picture to compare show the difference is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I regret not taking any photos before my surgery. I did not have any full body pictures of myself because I hated taking pictures when I was over weight, now trying to find a picture to compare show the difference is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

THIS! I didn't take one and regret it. I spent many years trying to avoid the camera and the pictures of myself I do have are mostly me trying to hide behind other people or things. And I don't think there are any at all of me at my highest weight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

IMG_1923.JPG.cab1c8893abb3861c63323c050728c5b.JPG IMG_1925.JPG.9dc7240fc32eeaacb56c9279018202a2.JPG IMG_3304.JPG.fb8c2be887b0a8c3ed7507810c7a268d.JPG IMG_3303.JPG.21998e7065b95a0cee802fdfe77d8d7f.JPG IMG_1926.JPG.fe73acb7f3bacc431357dfb93c8d412f.JPG IMG_1927.JPG.b0b9998b26f05b586b3592d6f0f269e8.JPG IMG_1928.JPG.276cfa15557607711c71ec765bbf8300.JPG

Wow! You look Great!! You look like a whole different & happier person! Check out that smile! What an inspiration[emoji38]
That you so much for sharing!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app