Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op complications

Hi I just had my sleeve done 9 days ago. I had a few complications and just wanted to know who else went through it. At this moment am really in the regret stage. As within 2 days of going home I had to go to the er because I was deshidrated very nauseated couldn’t even put anything in my mouth every smell in my own home bothers me , I hired a cleaning lady to come deep clean my house. At the hospital they also notice I had a uti. I was there 5 hours thank god no leaking ect. So I go home for one day still can’t barely drink the broth(which I hate) next day back to the er. I was on two ivs at the same time and a nutrient one from the pharmacy recommendations of my biariatric physician. I came home and two days late I was able to drink 3 oz of chicken broth and some Protein Shake that day only took me 2 hours each time. At night my stomach hurt and it feels like am hungry at the same time but when I do drink even Water feels like I drank quarters and I feel discomfort the whole night. Mind you still can’t sleep on my belly as it’s my only position I can rest in. When will I feel normal again ? Like not feeling the heavy feeling in my stomach when I eat? Or the hunger pains ,Help !!!

Ok, first off, you need to be on an acid reducer. That isn't optional during the first weeks/months. That hungry feeling is probably acid. Whenever I'd have discomfort that felt like hunger, I'd take a swig of liquid antacid (in addition to the PPI pill). Ask your team about this.

The heightened sense of smell is totally normal. Happens to everyone.

Keep working on trying different liquids, different temperatures. Warm herbal tea worked well for me, ice Water works for someone else. Go through it systematically. Room temperature, warm, cold, ice cold, frozen (like frozen popsicles) Every 5 minutes, take a sip of SOMETHING. The more dehydrated you get, the worse you feel, and the less you want to drink.

Ask your team about pain medicine..

I was also a stomach sleeper, but found by making a "horseshoe" of pillows around me, resting my back on some, and my tummy on others, I could rest on my side. (I never before slept with more than 1 pillow, so this was a unique situation). After 2-3 weeks, I could sleep normally again.

I sleep with six pillows even before surgery nothing has helped yet. Is ok to take chewable tums? They also put me on omeprazol I think that’s what’s called to sprinkle on food but ugh so nasty so I’ve been swallowing the capsule in the morning. Thank you so much for the info. I’ve also been eating ice helps with my nausea and today I had a shot of b1 Vitamins sent by my doctor once a week for ten weeks.

I can't really say yes or no about the tums. The texture is ok, it's just what it is made of I'm not sure about. Maybe someone else knows. Always best to ask your team about meds.

The capsule is probably ok. I could swallow those better than actual pills early out.

Ice chips are great! If you consume a lot of them, weigh them out since frozen Water takes more room than liquid.

Sometimes people have to sleep in a recliner for a bit. A pile of pillows can do a similar thing.

Thank you so much hun.

Whenever I'd have discomfort that felt like hunger, I'd take a swig of liquid antacid

@berry78 out of curiously, what liquid antacid are you using? Thanks in advance [emoji4]

I started out using Mylanta Maximum Strength suspension. Was looking for Maalox Max, but couldn't find it. It worked for me. I only took it for a few weeks though. I eventually got myself off of that and the omeprazole.

OP, make sure that you stay hydrated. That is the most important thing. Being dehydrated, and/or a UTI can land you in the ER very easily. A UTI dehydrates you even more. My MIL has been to the ER at least four times within the last year for dehydration, and each time she had a UTI.

Sometimes, what you think is hunger can also be thirst as well.

Good luck, and keep following your plan. Those regrets that you are feeling will dissipate shortly once you put all of this behind you.

I actually don't remember.. Maalox or Mylanta will work. Just read the bottle for dosing instructions. And it's only for a couple weeks until things settle down.

When I looked up antacid to try and remember which I took, it popped up Alka Seltzer. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT TAKE Alka Seltzer. People have died from taking it right after surgery. The gas bubbles were more than the poor stomach could handle..

I went through the regret stage as well. I'm told that is normal. My friend also went through dehydration as well and was in the hospital for a month and a half. My Dr would not let me leave the hospital till I got 64 oz in. That is important. It gets better tho.

It feels so bad feeling week. How are you feeling now?

10 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I actually don't remember.. Maalox or Mylanta will work. Just read the bottle for dosing instructions. And it's only for a couple weeks until things settle down.

When I looked up antacid to try and remember which I took, it popped up Alka Seltzer. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT TAKE Alka Seltzer. People have died from taking it right after surgery. The gas bubbles were more than the poor stomach could handle..

Omg no I won’t even try soda for while . Thx

10 hours ago, DropWt4Life said:

I started out using Mylanta Maximum Strength suspension. Was looking for Maalox Max, but couldn't find it. It worked for me. I only took it for a few weeks though. I eventually got myself off of that and the omeprazole.

OP, make sure that you stay hydrated. That is the most important thing. Being dehydrated, and/or a UTI can land you in the ER very easily. A UTI dehydrates you even more. My MIL has been to the ER at least four times within the last year for dehydration, and each time she had a UTI.

Sometimes, what you think is hunger can also be thirst as well.

Good luck, and keep following your plan. Those regrets that you are feeling will dissipate shortly once you put all of this behind you.

Thank you so much for the advice NOTED! am trying even to drink Water during the night. The discomfort of the pain at night still happens . When should I take the liquid anti acid?

Definitely take it as you lay down for bedtime. Take it after drinking or meals, so it can stay in your stomach as long as possible. When we drink now, the liquid pretty much just pours right through the stomach, washing anything that is in there out. The liquid antacid works while it is in contact with the stomach, not after it leaves.

Prior to my surgery I was taking omerzapole. Post surgery I continued to take it until last week. It seems with my dramatic diet change I don't get heartburn anymore. As for sleeping I slept in my recliner for two weeks post op. Regrets, are something we experience when we are having difficulties after a major life changing experience. You had surgery and you are now experiencing difficulties. Once you get past this and you start losing weight and getting healthier you'll know you made the right decision. Hang in there, I know it's difficult now, but your best days are ahead of you.

I understand the regret stage. I made a video on it. I just had to get how I was feeling out then. Being 8 months out, I would not take it back for anything. I love how active I am now.

Its the first month but it gets easier. Things do get better.

DE19608E-D0F7-4072-95F4-47D6146679B5.jpeg