Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetics (cure or reduce?)

Hello everybody My surgery is in a month, I am really afraid and beside the weight lost, I am choosing this surgery because I was told will eliminate my diabetics, any feedback...

Hello Charpower:

I agree that reducing weight will reduce my dependence of insulin &/or diabetic meds. but when I told my doctor that I want the Sleeve surgery, he told me that the bypass surgery is better for me because is the one that will reduce my diabetic.

my question is if somebody know the difference between both surgeries and why one is better to reduce diabetic than the other when both surgeries help to reduce weight.

Hello Charpower:
I agree that reducing weight will reduce my dependence of insulin &/or diabetic meds. but when I told my doctor that I want the Sleeve surgery, he told me that the bypass surgery is better for me because is the one that will reduce my diabetic.
my question is if somebody know the difference between both surgeries and why one is better to reduce diabetic than the other when both surgeries help to reduce weight.

I was an uncontrolled diabetic and was taking 2 insulins an oral and victoza...also blood pressure meds...I was off most meds prior to surgery and after I am completely off. And so thankful.i had the sleeve surgery.my a1c last year was 10 now it's under 6

10 hours ago, Pat Pac said:

Hello Charpower:

There was an article in Diabetes Forecast Magazine earlier this year and it did say that Gastric Bypass was the one that reduced blood sugar levels quickest but that all of the surgeries will reduce blood sugar levels as they reduce your weight. I am not sure why, my doctor also said the same. He suggested bypass for based on my diabetes and also GERD but the decision to have bypass was mine.

Here's a JAMA excerpt. I can't unlock it for the full study. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2601499

I'm going by my surgeon's rec that RNY is more effective at potentially reversing T2. Of cource, it's possible for DFU errors (user errors :D ) and you could potentially re-eat your way back into your disease.

I came across an article a while back, that gave a way for physicians to make an educated guess as to which procedure would be best for their diabetic clients.

It split the patients into 3 groups: mild diabetes (short time, easily controlled with 1 medication), moderate diabetes (up to 10 years, controlled with 1-2 meds), severe diabetes (long time or uncontrolled or need lots of meds)

The mild cases are likely to respond with sleeve or bypass.

Moderate cases really need a bypass

Severe cases are less likely to respond at all, so the sleeve might as well be chosen since it has fewer complications.

There are no hard and fast rules, but this gives some food for thought.

Hello Charpower:

The bypass procedure has both restriction in Malabsorption Whereas the sleeve primarily has restriction. Because of the Malabsorption portion of the gastric bypass you don’t intake as much calorically & utritionally speaking thus eliminating your diabetes.

I was an uncontrolled diabetic and was taking 2 insulins an oral and victoza...also blood pressure meds...I was off most meds prior to surgery and after I am completely off. And so thankful.i had the sleeve surgery.my a1c last year was 10 now it's under 6

That is awesome! Congratulations on kicking all those medications to the curb

I came across an article a while back, that gave a way for physicians to make an educated guess as to which procedure would be best for their diabetic clients.
It split the patients into 3 groups: mild diabetes (short time, easily controlled with 1 medication), moderate diabetes (up to 10 years, controlled with 1-2 meds), severe diabetes (long time or uncontrolled or need lots of meds)
The mild cases are likely to respond with sleeve or bypass.
Moderate cases really need a bypass
Severe cases are less likely to respond at all, so the sleeve might as well be chosen since it has fewer complications.
There are no hard and fast rules, but this gives some food for thought.

My diabetic was under control with glipizide5mg and metformin500mg but 41/2pills daily. My a1c was 11 now is 8.5 after 6 months of medication.

My diabetic was under control with glipizide5mg and metformin500mg but 41/2pills daily. My a1c was 11 now is 8.5 after 6 months of medication.

I'm not sure if that is a question, but I think I'd call that moderate diabetes.

Diabetes is the main reason I am getting the surgery. I am hoping that the 'side effect' of the surgery is that the diabetes will be eliminated or greatly reduced. I have been told there is an 80-85% chance that it will be gone !! That is worth it for me. It is controlled by medication right now, but I know that won't last long without serious intervention,

I am also a moderate diabetic, when I had my consult with the dr to discuss which surgery to get I was told that due to the malabsorption part of bypass it helps lower blood sugar within a few days to weeks before significant weight loss. That is why i like chose the bypass.