Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clif Builder's Protein Bars - 20g of Protein

So, as someone who has been told I need to consume 85 g of Protein after the surgery, hitting that number is tough. But, when I saw that Amazon was selling boxes of Clif bars that have 20 g of protein per serving, I knew I had to give it a go (couldn't be worse than Protein Shakes, right?). So, tonight while I was at the grocery store, I bought one of the chocolate flavoured Protein Bars, one of the chocolate Peanut Butter protein bars and a box (because they weren't selling them in singles) of Chocolate Mint protein bars.

Tonight, I tried the chocolate protein bars and I'll say... it's edible...ish. I mean, I could choke it down but I'm literally counting the seconds until I can drink something, as the taste is AWFUL. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be lingering in my mouth like Isopure or Carnation Instant Breakfast, but it isn't good. I mean, it's not so bad that it's making my gag reflex kick in, but it is horrible.

Tomorrow, I'll review the other two flavours and let you know if they're any better.

4 minutes ago, Véronique said:

I knew I had to give it a go (couldn't be worse than Protein Shakes, right?).

From a nutritional standpoint, Clif Builder's Protein bars are truly worse than most Protein Shakes. Clif bars contain a whopping 20+ grams of sugar per serving.

If I'm going to eat that much sugar, I'd rather eat a Snickers bar and actually feel as if I'm indulging.

5 minutes ago, Introversion said:

From a nutritional standpoint, Clif Builder's Protein Bars are truly worse than most Protein Shakes. Clif bars contain a whopping 20+ grams of sugar per serving.

If I'm going to eat that much sugar, I'd rather eat a Snickers bar and actually feel as if I'm indulging.

Holy sh!t, you're right. I just looked at the wrapper again and there it is: 21g of sugar. You wouldn't think it, given how utterly awful it tastes, but there it is in black & white.

Sure, maybe from a nutritional standpoint, the Clif bars are just as awful as their taste. However, every Protein Shake I've attempted thus far has engaged my gag reflex and I'd like to hit my Protein quota (since I've been having a hard time with it).

Edited by Véronique

It will get easier to hit your goal as you get further out from surgery. It's a learning process to find what works for you. If you hate shakes, find high Protein "real" food to hit your goal. The leaner the meat the higher the protein.

Not plugging a product: Quest bars are high protein low sugar but 21g carb. Honestly, Meal bars are just as dense as eating real food.

This is just an option take it or leave it -- The goal is healthy so, If you have to choke down a shake in order to hit your goal. here are a few recipes to try.

coffee mocha shake: vanilla Protein Powder. Instant coffee and Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup Ice

Pumpkin pie: Vanilla protein powder, pureed pumpkin and cinnamon ice

Strawberry-Banana Smoothie: Vanilla protein powder, Greek yogurt frozen strawberries frozen banana ice

Reese's Peanut Butter cup shake: Vanilla protein powder, PB2, sugar free chocolate syrup ice

Be creative and keep an open mind to try new things. You will find what works for you.

Most CLIF bars aren't that suitable for us as they are targeted to a different audience. My nephew, who is an RD in training, uses them sometimes before workouts as their nutritional profile of Protein, carbohydrates and fat fits that use, but isn't ideal for keeping calories low as we need.

The Quest bars are pretty good as they are low in sugar, and what carbohydrates they have are mostly Fiber, which we tend to need post-op. Pure Protein bars are similar in numbers, though with less fiber and more dependence upon sugar alcohols, which some people have problems with (and others don't).

Generally, I don't use the bars much except when convenience is needed (I keep a couple in the car and in my gym bag if I need something when I'm out and about) as there are better choices of real food when at home. But as a convenience food, they aren't all that bad, and early out we often have to compromise on ideals to get in what we need.

Put vanilla or chocolate Premier Protein in your coffee. That should give you enough of a supplement to hit your goals. I'm told to hit 74g of daily Protein with a 60g minimum (both pre and post surgery). I use 2floz to 10-12oz of Decaf and it tastes like the best iced coffee evs. :)

Also, haven't looked at the nutritional profile but I've heard a lot of people get Quest protein bars, cut them into 6 or 8 pieces and then bake them like chocolate chip Cookies. That way you can have 2 or 3 and get some protein in without eating the entire bar? Just a thought. ((hugs))

5 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Put vanilla or chocolate Premier Protein in your coffee. That should give you enough of a supplement to hit your goals. I'm told to hit 74g of daily Protein with a 60g minimum (both pre and post surgery). I use 2floz to 10-12oz of Decaf and it tastes like the best iced coffee evs. :)

Also, haven't looked at the nutritional profile but I've heard a lot of people get Quest Protein bars, cut them into 6 or 8 pieces and then bake them like chocolate chip Cookies. That way you can have 2 or 3 and get some protein in without eating the entire bar? Just a thought. ((hugs))

The cookies...Warm in the center and golden brown crispy on the bottom. Love them fresh out of the oven.

10 hours ago, RickM said:

Most CLIF bars aren't that suitable for us as they are targeted to a different audience. My nephew, who is an RD in training, uses them sometimes before workouts as their nutritional profile of Protein, carbohydrates and fat fits that use, but isn't ideal for keeping calories low as we need.

The Quest bars are pretty good as they are low in sugar, and what carbohydrates they have are mostly Fiber, which we tend to need post-op. Pure Protein Bars are similar in numbers, though with less fiber and more dependence upon sugar alcohols, which some people have problems with (and others don't).

Generally, I don't use the bars much except when convenience is needed (I keep a couple in the car and in my gym bag if I need something when I'm out and about) as there are better choices of real food when at home. But as a convenience food, they aren't all that bad, and early out we often have to compromise on ideals to get in what we need.

Meal bars are great on the run and emergency food . They also help if you are struggling with a sweet craving. They have some great flavors.

Personally, I like the PowerCrunch Protein bars. They taste great and here are the facts on them. 13 grams of fat 9 carbs 5 grams of sugar and 13 grams of protein. They have quite a few flavors and you can pick them up at Walmart. I have tried a lot of protein bars and I think these are my favs. I did try Quest and I didn't care for them. Each of us has to do whatever it takes and if that means having a Protein Bar to make your goal for protein, I see nothing wrong with it. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

4 hours ago, jenn1 said:

The cookies...Warm in the center and golden brown crispy on the bottom. Love them fresh out of the oven.

Meal bars are great on the run and emergency food . They also help if you are struggling with a sweet craving. They have some great flavors.

Which flavors do you like best? I think I might get a couple to experiment with!

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Which flavors do you like best? I think I might get a couple to experiment with!

Found this online...They may have more flavors by now. What taste good to me may be different for you. Give them a try you never know what you might like.

All the bars have the consistency of cookie dough...Keep that in mind.

#18 Lemon Cream Pie

#17 Mixed berry Bliss

#16 Apple Pie

#15 strawberry Cheesecake

#14 White chocolate Raspberry

#13 PB & J

#12 Peanut Butter Supreme

#11 Banana Nut Muffin

#10 Chocolate Peanut Butter

#9 Vanilla Almond Crunch

#8 Cinnamon Roll

#7 Coconut Cashew

#6 Mint Chocolate Chunk

#5 S’mores

#4 Double Chocolate Chunk

#3 Cookies & Cream

#2 Chocolate Brownie

#1 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Thank you! I might have to go with brownie or choco chip for grins. Maybe the apple pie. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but it would be awesome if Mr. Fluffy liked these to have 1 or 2 small Cookies for dessert!

I find the consistency of the Quest bars to be an asset; since they don't have any coatings or layers, it doesn't matter if they get warm sitting in the car (indeed, some people microwave them for a few seconds) so they work well as emergency rations.