Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Dr tell you No STRAWS? No SODA?

Well, I'm 2 weeks out on my sleeve surgery, and sure enough the pain is pretty much over and the craving thoughts for a Sprite have returned. What I fear the most is the weekend of Nov 9th when my brother-in-law gets married and :476_red_car: we join the entire family in Dallas and eat out alot. This means BBQ :373_poultry_leg: and :382_taco: Mexican. I know I can handle eating ok. But drinking without a straw or having Sprite! :408_beers: Oh My Goodness!! I may be in trouble. What have others of you been told by your Dr's?

My doctor said no to both. Straws and carbonation will add air to your stomach which may cause irritation. Also soda is unnecessary sugar and calories.

I've used a straw a few times with no ill effect. I still avoid soda...it is a big trigger food for me, so it is best for me to avoid.

NO, and NO. Try to remember your stomach really no longer has the ability to expand with the gas from carbonation like it did before, also you do not want the empty calories.

I've been told no to the carbonation but yes to the straw. My doctor and dietician both told me that straws are safe a few weeks out from surgery.

My doctor said both are fine as tolerated. I've been using a straw since about 12 weeks post op with no issues and have been able to tolerate carbonation with no issue as of about 6 months post op. I drink seltzer and will occasionally have a diet Pepsi as a treat. I'm also 10 months post op and 10ish pounds from goal.

I'm 3 weeks post op and tried drinking with a straw yesterday. I had no issues with it. I haven't tried soda yet but have been craving a Big Red. I suggest try it at home and if it does not irritate your tummy, have a little at the wedding but don't over do it!

@Fibro QueenI haven't had my surgery yet, but my surgeon and his team all said no to both. I'm not sure about longer term, but they were very clear that immediately following those are "no-nos" for all the reasons people have already mentioned. I'm doing my pre-op diet now and it's very difficult not to be able to grab anything from the cabinet when I get home (especially since my husband leaves his croissants and pumpkin bread lying out on the counter). The one thing that has kept me on track is the reminder that everything I'm doing is medically necessary and I am following Dr.'s orders. A woman who gives birth can't swim for a period of time afterward, and even though she may really want to enjoy a relaxing dip she wouldn't, because the fear of doing harm is greater than the want of a nice cool pool or jacuzzi. You can do it! The Sprite isn't worth the possible reprocussions (even if there won't be any is it worth the risk?) And no judgement if you do have some Sprite, just sharing what has worked for me! :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

Lannie; Waler; KDBaker; Sullie06; jennypenny1998; hap314ness: thanks everyone!! :D guess I should have mentioned that I always drank my Water with a straw before surgery - - and I get more liquids that way so I fear becoming dehydrated in the long term - haha and I only do sugar free soda if I do 1, and that's with mexican or pizza, which the spice I fear is way toooooo early, but I don't want to be that party pooper and my Dr did say I can do a refried been/cheese dip at this stage with a spoon, no chips. THANKS again every!!!

I am 3 months out and have just started using a straw. My nut said after 1 month it is fine to use a straw but I still waited a little longer. Soda is a big no no from my nut. I also was addicted to my diet soda before surgery and I know if I try it I would just be going down a bad path of drinking it a lot again so I do not want to know if I could handle it or not.

My surgeon said a straw was okay at my 3 week post-op, just go slow and see how it feels. I haven't yet, but am not afraid to try it. It's an air thing. Same for carbonation. I know post-op people who do. I think if it feels bad, don't do it and make sure to get your nutrition in first.

My surgeon said NO to both.

I never drank sodas so the No to sodas doesn’t bother me. And I never use a straw - well for many years. The reason I don’t use a straw is that it causes those little wrinkles around our lips from the constant puckering.

:)

The deal with straws is that they do make it easier to drink much faster -- which is NOT something you want. But if you can control the flow of liquid through a straw, you should be fine. You just have to be conscious of how fast you're drinking so you don't make yourself sick.

Ditto with carbonation. I drink sodas now and then. I rarely can finish them; the bubbles fill you up so quick!

I was told NO soda forever and wait until a year to drink thru straw. Your stomach can be stretched with theses things.
I am 8 months post op and no problems at all. At my goal weight and below.
I don't miss soda nor straw.
I came too far to mess things up.
I love who I have become and feel Great!!!!

Sent from my D6708 using BariatricPal mobile app

It may cause gas and discomfort while still healing from surgery -especially if you are still suffering from the gas given to you during surgery. I was cleared for straws at two weeks and carbonation at 6, both as tolerated, which I had no issues.

On 11/1/2017 at 0:52 PM, droynickel said:

I am 3 months out and have just started using a straw. My nut said after 1 month it is fine to use a straw but I still waited a little longer. Soda is a big no no from my nut. I also was addicted to my diet soda before surgery and I know if I try it I would just be going down a bad path of drinking it a lot again so I do not want to know if I could handle it or not.

I hear ya! I know if I drink one Diet Coke I'm done. It's like CRACK to me and it's not something I can have for a treat.