Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November sleevers here

I’m 1 wk post-op. Sleeved 11/20. How is everyone feeling. So far I’m doing great, learning to adjust to my new stomach but it’s been positive so far.

Me too I’m loving it

First post. Had gastric sleeve surgery November 29. I was in a lot of pain after the surgery, maybe because the doctor also fixed a 25 year old hiatal hernia that he said was very large. But I was walking soon and that helped a lot. By the end of the surgery day I was feeling better than I expected

My first day after surgery was surprisingly easy, it may have been because of the drugs because the second day I was more sore and irritable. Now on day 3, heading into 4 I am better.

I am drinking Water flavored with Crystal Light, Protein Shakes and eating popsicles and Jello. Hardest part is I am slightly repulsed by anything resembling milk since I am lactose intolerant, even by stuff I know is lactose free. I am drinking a plant based Protein Shake that I tolerate well.

Looking forward to posting and reading here.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, Patrick powers said:

Am I the only one that doesn't seem to have a problem drinking as much as I want to? They told me after the surgery I wouldn't be able to drink much at a time but I'm not having a problem at all. I can drink as much and as often as I like without feeling full in the slightest. I'm really worried food won't make me feel full as well

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I started to feel that way with liquids a couple days after surgery. When I moved to thick liquids that changed a bit with the Protein Drinks, and even more so once I got to mushy foods. I swear I can sip a whole Premiere Protein down in 15-20 mins if I wanted, but I cannot eat more than 2-3oz of yogurt or eggs, etc. Gives even more credence to not drinking 30 mins before and after food in my eyes.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:38 AM, Mstlawrence said:

Question for all you November sleevers--I'm 12 days post op and have been recovering quickly and well, albeit a bit run down and weak. Yesterday, I went shopping/walking around a mall with a friend, and we walked the mall a few times. This was more standing/walking than I've done since before surgery. I could feel myself getting tired, and I started feeling a stitch (like I'd been running) on my left side of my abdomen, and have been feeling that since last night. It's like a cramp or muscle soreness.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this, and is this any cause for concern?

Yes. I found that on week 2 post op - I could handle about 30 mins of walking, and then fatigue would set in. My legs would start to feel like Jello and I would need to sit and recover a while before I felt like I got my energy back. Over the last week since then my energy has gotten better and I can do more, but not trying to push myself.

As I look down - the incision to the right of my belly button is the one that has kept some pain. When I bend over, or try to sleep on that side - it has bothered me. Even reaching sometimes I would get a pain. There was also a hardness under the incision. Just yesterday it was still there, and while putting up xmas decorations, I leaned over to pick up something and felt a sharp pain there again, and again when I stood up. Late last night it was just the normal dull pain if I touched it. Today I got up and not a bit of pain there and the hardness is almost completely gone, just around the scar/scab (whatever you want to call the healing incision). I hope this is the start of the final mend.

My surgeon checked me last week and said it wasn't a hernia or anything else bad, it was just the healing of those muscles in my abdomen.

3 days ago marks 3 week post op for me. I had pain almost daily in that spot - not enough to put me back on pain meds as I didn't want anything to do with more Constipation.

6 minutes ago, JavaKnut said:

Yes. I found that on week 2 post op - I could handle about 30 mins of walking, and then fatigue would set in. My legs would start to feel like Jello and I would need to sit and recover a while before I felt like I got my energy back. Over the last week since then my energy has gotten better and I can do more, but not trying to push myself.

As I look down - the incision to the right of my belly button is the one that has kept some pain. When I bend over, or try to sleep on that side - it has bothered me. Even reaching sometimes I would get a pain. There was also a hardness under the incision. Just yesterday it was still there, and while putting up xmas decorations, I leaned over to pick up something and felt a sharp pain there again, and again when I stood up. Late last night it was just the normal dull pain if I touched it. Today I got up and not a bit of pain there and the hardness is almost completely gone, just around the scar/scab (whatever you want to call the healing incision). I hope this is the start of the final mend.

My surgeon checked me last week and said it wasn't a hernia or anything else bad, it was just the healing of those muscles in my abdomen.

3 days ago marks 3 week post op for me. I had pain almost daily in that spot - not enough to put me back on pain meds as I didn't want anything to do with more Constipation.

Thank you so much for responding--this is a lot of what I meant! The incision on the left (the bigger incision) seemed to be weeping a bit last night, was more red around the edges, and felt warm. I put some Neosporin and loose gauze on it, and I'm going to call my surgeon today to see if it's an issue. I had my post-surgery follow up with my surgeon on Thursday, and it wasn't problem at all, then Friday I overdid it physically, and it seems to have caused an issue.

Good to know you had a similar experience--it certainly eases my mind a bit!! :)

On 12/2/2017 at 9:09 AM, Niye said:

I’m a little concerned everyone I spoke to and all the research I did explained to me that I won’t be hungry for a while but I woke up 4 days after surgery and I’m really hungry. Could this pose a problem?

I had that same feeling and worry. For me - it passed. I found that if I am around friends and family and they are talking about food - Thanksgiving comes to mind - then I can start to feel cravings or hunger...or so I thought.

As time has gone by (now just over 3 weeks post-op) - those hunger feelings I was feeling, I think was actually just gas moving through my system.

My gut has a whole new set of signals and sounds and feelings. Many are what I have heard and felt before, but I am learning now that they mean new things.

Much of what I have found so far is the mindset. If I am not thinking about food - I have no cravings or feelings of hunger...unless I go multiple hours without some Protein. Then I start to notice fatigue and more gurgling when I just drink Water. I know I need to get protein and then I am back to normal.

39 minutes ago, Mstlawrence said:

Thank you so much for responding--this is a lot of what I meant! The incision on the left (the bigger incision) seemed to be weeping a bit last night, was more red around the edges, and felt warm. I put some Neosporin and loose gauze on it, and I'm going to call my surgeon today to see if it's an issue. I had my post-surgery follow up with my surgeon on Thursday, and it wasn't problem at all, then Friday I overdid it physically, and it seems to have caused an issue.

Good to know you had a similar experience--it certainly eases my mind a bit!! :)

My far right side swelled like crazy right after surgery. That is where they said they took out my gall bladder which probably caused a bit of infection. Swollen like crazy - even giving me stretch marks in 3D that I didn't know I had on that side. The swelling reduced and moved lower and towards my back as the days on antibiotics went on. After about 4-5 days most swelling and redness was gone.

On 11/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, doogman87 said:

Hello Everyone. Well, my time has come. FINALLY! My surgery has been post phoned twice, once by y surgeon going out of town 2 weeks before surgery, and then the most recent was, I’m sure everyone heard, the major wild fire in NApa area in California. That cancelled my surgery for the 2nd time. But I am set to have my surgery on the 27th! I am super excited and I can not wait! I think now that it is closer to time, I am beginning to psyc myself out. Trying to get everything ready is stressing me to the limit. My surgeon is 5 hours away, so I am taking Amtrack down there, got a room threw Airbnb, and going to Uber for transport. Lol. Can any one give some advice on what I should take with me, what i will need, and what to actually expect?

How are you doing ?

I've lost 13 lbs since surgery on 11/22 and 46 lbs since January!!! Feeling great, clothes are getting so loose!

Screenshot_20171204-110958.jpg

Nice, doing great already!

Me weight is stalling a bit but I'm not too worried about it. Still on pureed food until next Wednesday and I'm sure I'll see the scale move even more once I'm back on soft solid foods. Feeling pretty good other than some nausea and dizziness last night. Had a couple spoons of Peanut Butter and went to bed early. Woke up feeling healthy and happy.

Cheers!

power clashing.jpg

Hi Fellow sleevers!

So happy i found this group! I was Sleeved Nov. 16th. So far so good. I’m down 23 lbs since surgery. I’m in phase 2 (puréed foods) anything is better than phase 1! Still not really hungry. I’ve been eating Grits or puréed Soups and still drinking isotech 42 —— it’s sooooo much better than isopure! 🤮. I just hope my weight doesn’t stall bc I’m sure I’m not getting 60-80 grams of Protein since I’ve started the puréed foods. I haven’t started hitting the gym yet but today is the day! Wish me luck! No lifting of course. Just light cardio.

13 minutes ago, BettyBoop86 said:

Hi Fellow sleevers!

So happy i found this group! I was Sleeved Nov. 16th. So far so good. I’m down 23 lbs since surgery. I’m in phase 2 (puréed foods) anything is better than phase 1! Still not really hungry. I’ve been eating Grits or puréed Soups and still drinking isotech 42 —— it’s sooooo much better than isopure! 🤮. I just hope my weight doesn’t stall bc I’m sure I’m not getting 60-80 grams of Protein since I’ve started the puréed foods. I haven’t started hitting the gym yet but today is the day! Wish me luck! No lifting of course. Just light cardio.

Best of luck at the gym today :)

For the first time since my surgery, I feel hungry right now. Today, I've eaten roughly what I have been eating the last few days, keeping my Protein and fluids up, but right now I'm just downright super hungry. I've waited to make sure it wasn't head hunger, and it's pretty legit. I'm sure a small protein meal will do away with it, but it's a "new" feeling post surgery. Has anyone experienced this at all?