Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cosmetic Surgery, Post-Sleeve, and NSAIDs?

Howdy everyone,

So, I'm planning to have cosmetic surgery once I get to my goal weight (or once I get close to it) and I'm wondering if I should let my surgeon know that I can't have NSAIDs because I had the sleeve, or if I tell him I have had the sleeve, that he should already know (because he is a surgeon, after all)?

Just curious.

Definitely tell him. He may not realize that or he may but better safe than sorry.

Yeah, true. Is there anything they'd use in surgery that could be a NSAID? I mean, I looked it up and Oxycodone is not a NSAID but that's what I'd likely get once I leave the surgery centre, not while I'm under anaesthesia.

Edited by sleevedshereen

Well, my surgeon says (and I know different surgeons say different things, so YMMV) that because having had gastric sleeves makes us more likely to have a bleeding ulcer and that since NSAIDs are also likely to cause bleeding ulcers, that the risk is too high in taking NSAIDs and that it's best to take pain relievers that aren't NSAIDs, like Tylenol.

Also, forgive any spelling mistakes. I just switched to Firefox from Chrome and for some reason, it only has the French spellcheck dictionary and not the English one as well.

It's my understanding that NSAID issues are caused in the stomach by oral ingestion. And honestly, the very short amount of time you would take them probably wouldn't cause issues (but I wouldn't want to test it). But yeah, let them know for sure!

I have my surgeon chosen because he specializes in post-bariatric plastics. Maybe see if you have one like that in your area?

2 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

It's my understanding that NSAID issues are caused in the stomach by oral ingestion. And honestly, the very short amount of time you would take them probably wouldn't cause issues (but I wouldn't want to test it). But yeah, let them know for sure!

I have my surgeon chosen because he specializes in post-bariatric plastics. Maybe see if you have one like that in your area?

Well, the particular surgeon I'm looking at is for cosmetic surgery that is only tangentially related to my having bariatric surgery. I'm looking at getting facial feminization surgery and the guy whose before & after photos look the best to me is Dr. Zukowski in Wilmette, Illinois (the Chicago area). The only two barriers to having it are:

1. Money. It's hella expensive. My quote is for $30,500... and that's just the surgery! I still have to factor in hotel and airfare. Fortunately, I just got a new job that will help pay that cost down a lot faster than the one I'm leaving, but
  2. Getting (close) to my goal weight. Now, since I haven't been skinny in my adult life, I am only basing my goal weight based on the midpoint of healthy weights based on my height, age and gender.

But based on my projections, I should have it next September or October.

I just had a Tummy Tuck done 2 weeks ago and was given norco for pain relief. Turns out I am allergic to all opioid drugs and have only been able to take Tylenol.
My Bariatric surgeon doesn’t allow nsaids and the plastic surgeon didn’t allow nsaids because of the chance of bleeding.

My WLS surgeon isn't as strict on NSIADS as some. He doesn't want me taking them on a regular basis, but once in a while is Ok.

That said, my plastic surgeon used narcotics and Tylenol so it wasn't an issue. Typically post surgical pain is not managed by NSAIDS.

I think you should warn the surgeon about everything. Because we are all human and we can't always see all the important details. He can be a good surgeon, but perhaps because of the stress at work, he may not notice any of your sleeves, so it is better to warn him about everything in advance. My friend recently had cosmetic surgery after she went to a skin clinic care to remove scars on her body and she also had a face thread lift skin care clinic and she was very satisfied with the results. Before she talked with the surgeon about the operation, they discussed everything in advance, and only after that, the surgeon examined her.

Edited by LilyBrown