Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never Feel Satisfied

25 days post op. Nothing taste good and I never feel satisfied. I wish I could eat small portions and feel content. Anyone else feel this way and anyone had this and no how long before it will get better?

I get to full on 1 egg and 1small turky sausage but i get hungry about every 2 -3 hrs it seems im 60 days out today

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been thru alot of different things to find stuff i like and tolerate

Right around the 3 week mark I had this happen. The food was still very smooth and slippery, but I got full after just a couple bites, and so my mind wasn't satisfied.

This lasted a pretty short time. By 5 weeks I could eat a bit more and more solids, so it was better. Just time and experience makes a difference too. (I would see myself drink 8 oz of Fluid relatively quickly, but that didn't translate to food, so it was a difficult transition).

Yeah, I can relate. I'm on soft foods still. Nothing really tastes good. Eating because I have to but also because my stomach is literally growling. It's not head hunger, either. By the time I'm going to bed, I literally am so hungry! I always debating getting out of bed and going upstairs. I really thought it was supposed to kill hunger. I can eat a few ounces of chicken but then I'm hungry with 2 hours.

I don’t eat for a while and then get starved. Then I eat too fast and too much because I have ‘big eyes’. Then I feel uncomfortable ( I have even thrown up a bit) walk it off. Starve later on and eat again. Yes about every 3 hours. I am trying to eat 4 hrs a part as I think I am snacking too much.

1 hour ago, Doreen0716 said:

I have been thru alot of different things to find stuff i like and tolerate

What would happen if you couldn’t tolerate something?

I would throw it up or get slimes as well as a stomache ache

8 hours ago, dreamynow said:

I don’t eat for a while and then get starved. Then I eat too fast and too much because I have ‘big eyes’. Then I feel uncomfortable ( I have even thrown up a bit) walk it off. Starve later on and eat again. Yes about every 3 hours. I am trying to eat 4 hrs a part as I think I am snacking too much.

Don't go 4 hours, it's too long. Every 3 hours is ideal this early out. This isn't "snacking", it's preplanned mini-meals that help you meet your goals.

What will also help is to drink about 4-8 oz right before you eat. (Drink while you prepare your food). This takes the edge of hunger off so you don't eat as quickly. Most of us report liquid leaves the stomach within just a few minutes.. so it shouldn't make you overfull. (Just take your time, feeling it out).

Don't go 4 hours, it's too long. Every 3 hours is ideal this early out. This isn't "snacking", it's preplanned mini-meals that help you meet your goals.
What will also help is to drink about 4-8 oz right before you eat. (Drink while you prepare your food). This takes the edge of hunger off so you don't eat as quickly. Most of us report liquid leaves the stomach within just a few minutes.. so it shouldn't make you overfull. (Just take your time, feeling it out).

That’s going to be one of my questions at my next meeting. Once I’m back to a modified regular diet I am told to have 3 square meals and nothing in between. That sounds a little harsh... say you have Breakfast at 7:30, then lunch at 12; that’d be 4.5 hrs which is OK but then if dinner isn’t until 7 pm that’s a 7 hrs gap and seems too long to me to be a long-term plan. I’ll find out more about it.

1 hour ago, njgal said:

That’s going to be one of my questions at my next meeting. Once I’m back to a modified regular diet I am told to have 3 square meals and nothing in between.

If they mean by 9 weeks postop, that is a program I disagree with. If they mean at goal/maintenance, then that might be ok.

Why I disagree is because at 9 weeks, you'll likely only fit in 3oz per meal. 9oz of food, if it were all meat, would only be 63g Protein. You could fit a little fat with that, but no carbs, veggies, etc.

They are trying to get you eating with normal dietary patterns, right out the gate, and it's just not do-able. So hungry that we cram food in and then vomit should NOT be the goal.

Normal meals should come when we can meet our goals in 3 meals. Not before.

I'm 7 months out and have to get my protein in 3 meals and a snack, then I add another couple meals of fruit and veggies. It was similar at 9 weeks.

Some people's stomachs can hold 8oz right away. Those might meet their goals in 3 meals sooner.

If they mean by 9 weeks postop, that is a program I disagree with. If they mean at goal/maintenance, then that might be ok.
Why I disagree is because at 9 weeks, you'll likely only fit in 3oz per meal. 9oz of food, if it were all meat, would only be 63g Protein. You could fit a little fat with that, but no carbs, veggies, etc.
They are trying to get you eating with normal dietary patterns, right out the gate, and it's just not do-able. So hungry that we cram food in and then vomit should NOT be the goal.
Normal meals should come when we can meet our goals in 3 meals. Not before.
I'm 7 months out and have to get my protein in 3 meals and a snack, then I add another couple meals of fruit and veggies. It was similar at 9 weeks.
Some people's stomachs can hold 8oz right away. Those might meet their goals in 3 meals sooner.

They actually mean 4 weeks which doesn’t make this any better of course. I disagree with it as well but want to check with my team before I do anything. Thanks! [emoji120]

25 days post op. Nothing taste good and I never feel satisfied. I wish I could eat small portions and feel content. Anyone else feel this way and anyone had this and no how long before it will get better?

I had this issue and have found five months out that it’s taken a long time to find food I tolerate.

I also found my headspace regarding feeling full had to change. Restriction is not like feeling full. I think my perspective on food had to change and it may be the same for you.

Go slow and be patient, test out foods and see what makes you feel ok. Give yourself months to notice the changes in your mental and physical state.

You got this :) [emoji1303]

Feeling full is different post op and it definitely takes some getting used to. The nerves in your stomach are also cut and regenerating, so you don't feel the same fullness you did pre op. I realized I was full when I felt pressure everywhere AROUND my stomach. I would feel pressure around my upper chest, my left shoulder, my lower abdomen, and the sides. It's subtle compared to how fullness used to feel.

Also, as far as satisfying head hunger, that was a huge challenge for me for the first month or so since I wasn't eating solid foods. liquids and soft foods are not as satisfying mentally as dense meat. Unfortunately, it's something we all have to learn is different from physical hunger and learn how to cope with it.

As you go further, your food choices will expand to more solid and satisfying foods which should help more. Hang in there!

Yeah, I can relate. I'm on soft foods still. Nothing really tastes good. Eating because I have to but also because my stomach is literally growling. It's not head hunger, either. By the time I'm going to bed, I literally am so hungry! I always debating getting out of bed and going upstairs. I really thought it was supposed to kill hunger. I can eat a few ounces of chicken but then I'm hungry with 2 hours.

Im the same way

Sent from my LG-M430 using BariatricPal mobile app