Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many carbs?

How many carbs do you consume at 9+ weeks postop (or plan to)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many net carbs (total minus fiber) do you (or will you) consume between the healing period and maintenance? (Approx. 9 weeks until 12 or 18 months postop)?

• Going full keto! 20g or fewer!
    • Borderline keto 20-50g
    • Low Carb 51g-99g
    • Carbs are important! 100+
    • I don't count carbs so have no idea.
    • Start low, and gradually increase them over time (before goal).

2.5 weeks out, I don’t really go by carbs but checking my intake I see that I seem to be in the 45-60 range daily.

This is only hypothetical right now. :) I would plan on getting between 20-30g of net carbs per day. They will obviously fluctuate. I know that I can steadily maintain at that level pre-op (cals around 1200-1500). So I'm gonna cross my fingers that by reducing my calories/fats to the level that I'm between 600-800cals/day and Protein around 74g daily, carbs between 20g-30g net with a goal of 20g of Fiber per day, that I will be able to lose weight...but it's very theoretical right now.

I plan on getting my fiber from benefiber, greens blended into protein smoothies, nuts/seeds, a tiny bit from berries maybe even an occasional ounce or two of GS apple with peel blended into my protein smoothie. But this might be pie-in-the-sky planning. I know a lot of ketoneers and low carbers don't place much stock in fiber, but being post-meno 53+ female, I found by trial and error that my Keto lifestyle/weight loss did better with slightly lower fat, and slightly higher fiber/leafy greens. Think it may be tied to thyroid function, the lower I went on carbs, the slower my thyroid became.

Edited by FluffyChix

I was 20-30 net for the first 3 months. For the last 2 months I usually fall somewhere between 50-75g. I am not really trying to keep mine there on purpose, but whole grains are filling so I can only eat a few bites at a time. The increased fiber and carbs seem to agree with my system and I started losing faster once I jumped up. Maybe it is because of my thyroid condition like @FluffyChix said. I don't really know, but it works for me.

During the loss phase I tried to keep my carbs around 20-30g like everyone has said.

I made sure to get both soluble and insoluble fiber through supplementation (benefiber and psyllium husk capsules) while my intake was that low.

4 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

During the loss phase I tried to keep my carbs around 20-30g like everyone has said.

I made sure to get both soluble and insoluble fiber through supplementation (benefiber and psyllium husk capsules) while my intake was that low.

OMG @jess9395 God bless you! You just made my day! I don't even like Benefiber! I've been asking for months about psyllium fiber (my personal crush)! I didn't think we could use it post-op! Thah crahps ah sayuved!!!!! tYTYTYTYTYTTY!!!

I was low carb before starting my liquid diet, don’t know how or what I’ll be at post op. Hope to still be below 50 net carbs a day.

I did low carb (less than 80 g a day) when I was in the weight loss phase. However, I'm not particularly carb sensitive, which makes a difference.....

Asked my nutritionist about carbs post-surgery. She said they don’t have any specific number they want me to have. She said it was most important to eat your Protein first and if you have room for the carbs after that it is fine. She did say that most carbs should come from whole foods and not refined sugar, but I feel like that’s obvious.

20 minutes ago, AuDBall said:

She did say that most carbs should come from whole foods and not refined sugar, but I feel like that’s obvious.

You would be surprised how often it isn't obvious.

Asked my nutritionist about carbs post-surgery. She said they don’t have any specific number they want me to have. She said it was most important to eat your Protein first and if you have room for the carbs after that it is fine. She did say that most carbs should come from whole foods and not refined sugar, but I feel like that’s obvious.

Interesting, I guess all plans are different. For three months through reaching my goal weight, my program is a protein serving first, then a vegetable serving second if there is room, and then a fruit serving if there is room. No other carbs are allowed. They don’t share the maintenance diet this early, but I am guessing it is similar. I have surgery 11/17.

I just looked back through the last month, I averaged between 60-70g. I do not eat refined carbs or anything with added sugar. I do eat Beans, peas and usual 1 serving of fruit / veg a day.

So my nut wants me at 50% Protein. Because of that my carbs will automatically stay low. I'm somewhere between 50-100g a day, all depending.

I haven't had any carb restrictions since surgery except sugar really.

Edited by Meryline

@Meryline... if you eat 120g Protein, that's 480cal. 60g fat is 540 cal. 120g carbs is 480. Which brings you up to 1500 cal.

Yes, this is less than 50% of your calories as protein, but this should get your nutritional status up where it needs to be.

(In order to have 50% of your 1500cal as protein, you'd have to eat 187g protein a day.. 6 x 30g meals... totally wouldn't happen.)

I think the 50% is about looking at your plate. 1/2 protein food, and 1/2 veggies, fruits, and grains.

To give an idea what 120g carbs looks like:

1 cup Beans and 2 pieces ezekial toast, and 1 whole piece of fruit, and 1 cup potatoes.

Yep, you are gonna do nothin' but eat!

@Berry78 problem is, I don't eat any kinds of Beans, and bread does not go well with my stomach. Every type I have eaten has gotten stuck. I already eat potatoes almost every single day in my stew.

She did say 50% of total, as she was looking at myfitnesspal with me, and loved the days I had close to 50% Protein. I think I have to add more fruit, add a little more Pasta etc. I also have to increase my eating intervals. every 3-4h is not going to cut it, it'll have to be closer to 2-3h. On the weekends it's impossible for me to get enough food in, unless I eat like a bag of popcorn or something.

Hm...