Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Mos Post RNY-Diagnosed with Breast Cancer

Hi - I'm about a week from being 6 months post RNY and I feel great. I have lost over 100 pounds and my surgeon tells me I will lose about another 40-50 before May 2018. Meanwhile, I was just diagnosed with breast cancer and start chemo/HER2+ treatment on Monday. Has anyone had chemo in the year following gastric bypass? I still cannot tolerate more firm foods like chicken and I felt a very full/hurting stomach if I eat some foods, even a few bites. (I don't eat Pasta, rice, beef, firm fruit, etc.) I'm wondering if your meal choices were affected during chemo. Both my oncologist and my gastric bypass surgeon said to keep up the 80-100 grams of Protein daily if I can, but it's ok to get it from more calorie-laden foods. I'm not worried at all about gaining weight back. I've lost a lot already and will lose more, but I'm looking for input from anyone who has been through chemo post surgery to see how you handled food intake. Thanks so much. (I will have six sessions of chemo.)

Damn! So sorry to hear of your Dx! They are doing great things with HER2+ treatments!

If you can process the info/fear/stress and can make yourself do it, make up huge batches of Bone Broth and freeze it in small servings. There were days when I lived on it and poached eggs/soft boiled eggs. I would use my huge slow cooker and put bones on to cook 24-36 hours. Then would strain, cool, portion and freeze about once every 2 weeks (during my "good" non-treatment week).

I had it 6+ years ago. ER+PR+HER2-.

With the bone broth, you can stir in some unflavored Protein Powder if you want and that will boost your Protein consumption. I steeped ginger in it also, cuz it helped cut nausea. Zofran for nausea rocks though.

Hugs and saying prayers for you!!!

Damn! So sorry to hear of your Dx! They are doing great things with HER2+ treatments!
If you can process the info/fear/stress and can make yourself do it, make up huge batches of Bone Broth and freeze it in small servings. There were days when I lived on it and poached eggs/soft boiled eggs. I would use my huge slow cooker and put bones on to cook 24-36 hours. Then would strain, cool, portion and freeze about once every 2 weeks (during my "good" non-treatment week).
I had it 6+ years ago. ER+PR+HER2-.
With the bone broth, you can stir in some unflavored Protein Powder if you want and that will boost your Protein consumption. I steeped ginger in it also, cuz it helped cut nausea. Zofran for nausea rocks though.
Hugs and saying prayers for you!!!

Thank you so much! I’m ER+PR+HER2+. I just got the results of my PET scan yesterday and it confirms the MRI results of no spread. I feel very lucky. Excellent idea about the bone broth. I think I’ll start a batch tomorrow as I start chemo/HER2 treatment Monday am and I have unflavored protein powder too.

I also was ER/PR/HER2, Nausea is quite controllable , and appetite not affected to much. The first three round of chemo are processed though your bladder so if you thinking you’ve been drinking a lot of Water now, get ready.
The last three rounds are the nasty ones, and the drugs wipe out your sense of taste. It comes back quickly when you’re done, though. That makes it really hard to eat because sun much food , even stuff you like, will taste like cardboard or sawdust. You’ll have to get creative with Proteins .
Don’t forget to get a new toothbrush every three weeks so you don’t get mouth cankers, which makes it hard to eat .
No spread is WONDERFUL , I had it in three lymph nodes, and I’m fine ten years later. Herceptin , for HER2 is a miracle drug.
If you’re getting radiation after chemo you will unlikely notice it affects you at all. Every day after chemo you feel so much better you’d have to get hit by a truck to get worse.
You’re working on the two most amazing journeys ever, at the same time. So very brave and strong, and don’t forget that you are , even when you feel like crap. From here, the only way out is UP.
Sending hugs. We’re all sisters in this.
Pauline

Thank you all for your advice and kind words of support.

Updates: Just finished my last chemo on Monday! I lost way too much weight but will gain some back. I was never nauseous but wasn’t hungry and i think my pouch is too small as i can barely eat much, even 9 months later. Plus the whole altered taste during chemo... I’m half the weight i was 9 months ago.

I’m having a double mastectomy on March 13, and then hope to recover and then focus on body strength and nutrition!

Sorry to hear about the weight loss!! ((hugs)) And congrats on getting through that big step! Now, "only" surgery and radiation! You got this hon!!!

Sorry to hear about the weight loss!! ((hugs)) And congrats on getting through that big step! Now, "only" surgery and radiation! You got this hon!!!

Thank you. No radiation needed most likely said surgeon and radiation oncologist from PET and recent MRI but surgery pathology will confirm. Hoping not!

Wow! Good for you girl! The radiation is pretty tough with tough side effects long term. Mine left me with Fluid around my heart and a fibrous growth from my heart to the sac around it. :( So am praying you only have to do herceptin!! Do you also have to be on Femara?

Wow! Good for you girl! The radiation is pretty tough with tough side effects long term. Mine left me with Fluid around my heart and a fibrous growth from my heart to the sac around it. [emoji20] So am praying you only have to do herceptin!! Do you also have to be on Femara?

I will be taking a long-term pill like Tamoxifen but not sure which one yet.

Hi - I'm about a week from being 6 months post RNY and I feel great. I have lost over 100 pounds and my surgeon tells me I will lose about another 40-50 before May 2018. Meanwhile, I was just diagnosed with breast cancer and start chemo/HER2+ treatment on Monday. Has anyone had chemo in the year following gastric bypass? I still cannot tolerate more firm foods like chicken and I felt a very full/hurting stomach if I eat some foods, even a few bites. (I don't eat Pasta, rice, beef, firm fruit, etc.) I'm wondering if your meal choices were affected during chemo. Both my oncologist and my gastric bypass surgeon said to keep up the 80-100 grams of Protein daily if I can, but it's ok to get it from more calorie-laden foods. I'm not worried at all about gaining weight back. I've lost a lot already and will lose more, but I'm looking for input from anyone who has been through chemo post surgery to see how you handled food intake. Thanks so much. (I will have six sessions of chemo.)

I am 6 years out after breast cancer diagnosis and kept telling myself I needed to eat to keep my strength up for chemo and radiation treatment. I ended up being about 60 pounds “stronger”. Talk to the dietitian in your surgeons office. They know a lot more about the nutritional needs you will have without sabotaging yourself. You are in my thoughts and prayers.