Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intermittent Fasting

5 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

That's what I eat! I'm at goal and active, but that's what I need to maintain at 135-ish as a 5'6" woman, so not always unhealthy!

Good to know. I just never imagine eating that much,, lol... I am so full eating 1000-1300.

@waler there are plenty of peer reviewed journal articles that discuss the benefits of IF not just popular culture book sales. With your background you should be able to appreciate that. I also don't understand why IF and a "balanced high Protein, low fat diet exercise and time" are mutually exclusive.

I want to say I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this discussion. I don't see it as a crusade, just a discussion. I succeeded just fine, lost all my weight (and more) got my body fat below 20% and use IF on occasion now that I'm at goal. God forbid anyone try to emulate my path. Oh and BTW My ALT and AST are fine, I have a Heptologist because when I was obese I had fatty liver. My liver is great now as are my kidneys (recurrent stones when I was obese, none since).

Here's an interesting companion piece to @Berry78's Dawn Phenomenon post. https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

37 minutes ago, Waler said:

am finished wasting my time with this and I feel sorry for anyone who follows you on this crusade as they will fail right beside you and wonder what happened and why this was yet another thing that did not work to help them. Oh and you are correct I am not a nutritionist and never made any claim to be

Crusade??? 😮 wow!

You didn’t claim to be a nutritionist, but you did let it be known that we should not question someone with your credentials.

I question my doctor all the time. He is not GOD and I have been given plenty of bad advice from doctors. My point being is that no one needs a fancy degree to be intelligent enough to research a subject. I would argue that @Berry78 is the queen of research and I have no idea what she does for a living.

43 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

I want to say I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this discussion. I don't see it as a crusade, just a discussion. I succeeded just fine, lost all my weight

I agree completely. This is a discussion.

I met my official goal weight also so I must have done something right. I am researching techniques for use now and in the future as needed during maintenance. Some type 2 diabetics see a return of higher blood sugars after a period of time and I want to be prepared with methods to deal with this.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Here's an interesting companion piece to @Berry78's Dawn Phenomenon post. https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Yes that link takes you to Dr. Fungs program for reversing type 2 diabetes using IF. He has had a lot of success with his patients.

thanks for posting it.😊

This is my last post as I find it pointless to continue to waste my time with you on this. You will always question people like your doctor and people who have a better grasp on things because it is in your nature. IE controlling, it is people like you that make veterans, yes I am 2 years out not want to help or support people like you. I have done the lab work on more people than I would care to count. I have seen the hard evidence of liver and kidney damage done by fad diets and fasting. I have been on the front line of people who want a quick fix or feel they know more than the medical experts. I have see people suffer irreparable kidney and liver damage from "Fasting". You are the type of person who will fail or cause someone to have long lasting negative health issues because they will follow your magic I know best plan. Well if you were such an expert you would not have landed here with the rest of us people who are taking back our lives after doing things the wrong way. But after 5 months out from surgery you have become an expert I see and are completely unwilling to entertain the notion that your new age fad diet is like all the others before it WRONG. People who you say were healthier were not. longevity past 60`s were the exception not the rule as is today. if there is one thing I have learned it is when you stop beating you head against a wall your headache goes away. This was not a logical debate and never will be because you are allowing your after 6 months I know everything there is to know ego override your thinking. enjoy your failure at this chapter in your life because that is exactly where this fasting fad diet is going to lead you, to jest yet one more diet failure and then you will be on the soap box about how nothing worked for you not even surgery. One other thing to keep in mind when one of the people who follows this fad ends up with permanent health issues caused by it do them a favor and apologies and own up to you misguidance because you will not be able to fix it

Edited by Waler

This is my last post as I find it pointless to continue to waste my time with you on this. You will always question people like your doctor and people who have a better grasp on things because it is in your nature. IE controlling, it is people like you that make veterans, yes I am 2 years out not want to help or support people like you. I have done the lab work on more people than I would care to count. I have seen the hard evidence of liver and kidney damage done by fad diets and fasting. I have been on the front line of people who want a quick fix or feel they know more than the medical experts. I have see people suffer irreparable kidney and liver damage from "Fasting". You are the type of person who will fail or cause someone to have long lasting negative health issues because they will follow your magic I know best plan. Well if you were such an expert you would not have landed here with the rest of us people who are taking back our lives after doing things the wrong way. But after 5 months out from surgery you have become an expert I see and are completely unwilling to entertain the notion that your new age fad diet is like all the others before it WRONG. People who you say were healthier were not. longevity past 60`s were the exception not the rule as is today. if there is one thing I have learned it is when you stop beating you head against a wall your headache goes away. This was not a logical debate and never will be because you are allowing your after 6 months I know everything there is to know ego override your thinking. enjoy your failure at this chapter in your life because that is exactly where this fasting fad diet is going to lead you, to jest yet one more diet failure and then you will be on the soap box about how nothing worked for you not even surgery. One other thing to keep in mind when one of the people who follows this fad ends up with permanent health issues caused by it do them a favor and apologies and own up to you misguidance because you will not be able to fix it

You keep saying it's your last post, yet you keep returning. You've made your contribution to the discussion, if you'd like to contribute some more--links to evidence, peer reviewed journal articles--I would love to read them.

If you want to keep hurling insults and giving unsubstantiated claims and opinions I wish you would keep your promise to stop posting.

1 hour ago, Waler said:

You will always question people like your doctor and people who have a better grasp on things because it is in your nature. IE controlling,

I will? So you know me now after just reading a few posts on the internet? Questioning my doctor does not make me a controlling person, it makes me a person who doesn’t just take what anyone tells me to be the truth, even a doctor. Questioning things is a trait I have always found useful, you obviously don’t agree as you are frustrated that I just won’t accept what you have said as fact and truth.

The truth is you have not posted even one peer reviewed publication supporting your belief that IF is bad and just another fad diet with no health benefits at all. I want to read the data you speak of.

Yes, I am only 5 months out, but I have reached my goal of a healthy BMI and weight. I actually feel my success comes from following the advice of other veterans here that shared freely. I often do take the advice of others if I feel it is good advice and will be of benefit. I have adopted a sustainable and healthy eating plan and also regularly exercise 5-6 days a week both recommended by successful veterans.

please don’t keep posting mean responses. If you aren’t going to post links to your data please stop posting. You aren’t contributing anything of value to the thread.

Waler, I'm interested in finding out what you have to say. Maybe you can tell us about one of your examples.

1 hour ago, Waler said:

Well if you were such an expert you would not have landed here with the rest of us people who are taking back our lives after doing things the wrong way. But after 5 months out from surgery you have become an expert I see and are completely unwilling to entertain the notion that your new age fad diet is like all the others before it WRONG. People who you say were healthier were not. longevity past 60`s were the exception not the rule as is today.

When did I ever proclaim myself as an expert on IF? Read my first post and you will see I was asking for personal experiences from veterans.

Obviously I was doing some things wrong and coupled with my bad thyroid gained weight. What is your point?

Who did I ever say was healthier? I said as humans we have always fasted, so it is a built in function in our bodies to endure periods of time where we don’t eat. That’s all i said.

Perhaps you can just agree to disagree. It appears you are more interested in being "right" than in having a respectful discussion. I worked in healthcare for 40 years, have multiple advanced degrees, and taught at major universities. Yet, it seems I still have more to learn. I enjoy reading and participating in discussions like these because they don't always conform to preconceived ideas.

Surgery - RNY GBP
Surgery Date - 5/16/2017
HW - 368
SW - 352
GW - 150

Sent from my Note Edge

Perhaps you can just agree to disagree. It appears you are more interested in being "right" than in having a respectful discussion. I worked in healthcare for 40 years, have multiple advanced degrees, and taught at major universities. Yet, it seems I still have more to learn. I enjoy reading and participating in discussions like these because they don't always conform to preconceived ideas.

Surgery - RNY GBP
Surgery Date - 5/16/2017
HW - 368
SW - 352
GW - 150

Sent from my Note Edge

Slow clap!

I just spent a few minutes reading through several peer reviewed articles on the subject of IF. There are so many more available. I would encourage anyone interested in learning more to read through some and also check into doctors that are using this protocol. Their evidence from using this with their patients is also very useful in considering whether this may be something useful or appropriate for you to try. Here are the links to some of the journal articles:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315875923_The_effect_of_meal_frequency_in_a_reduced-energy_regimen_on_the_gastrointestinal_and_appetite_hormones_in_patients_with_type_2_diabetes_A_randomised_crossover_study

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312479942_Effects_of_intermittent_fasting_on_glucose_and_lipid_metabolism

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312038251_Is_intermittent_fasting_a_scientifically-based_dietary_method

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309132377_Effects_of_eight_weeks_of_time-restricted_feeding_168_on_basal_metabolism_maximal_strength_body_composition_inflammation_and_cardiovascular_risk_factors_in_resistance-trained_males

58 minutes ago, Queen Sherri said:

Surgery - RNY GBP
Surgery Date - 5/16/2017
HW - 368
SW - 352
GW - 150

Sent from my Note Edge

I am learning everyday and I still enjoy it. I tend to read everything I can find on a subject that interests me. That is just my personality. I read opposing views just as much and I always consider the source.

Thanks for your comment.