Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extra / Loose Skin

Hello Men!

I am two weeks away from surgery and I am currently on a pre-op Optifast diet.

I am getting very anxious as time approaches. My anxiety is mainly about have extra/loose skin. I've lost fat before using yo-yo dieting and my skin was not loose. That was about 4 years ago when I was 28/29. I am currently at 375 on a 6' 4" frame.

What has your experience been with loose skin? I know it's inevitable, but what can I do to help? Working out, lifting, cardio, yoga...whatever it takes I am willing to devote myself to it.

I'm open to suggestions and words to calm down my loose skin fears.

Cheers!

It depends on several factors. We are pretty close in height (6'-5") and I'm down to about 345 from a high of 640. My goal weight is 250 so I'm a reasonably large person to begin with. If you're on a smaller frame and have more to lose, you may have some. Genetics, age, how much excess weight, and how long you had it will all factor in. I can say that even with the excess, I'm still much happier and getting opportunities that I never had before.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

As HB76356 said, there are many factors that determine the amount of excess skin you will have.

I'm 6'2", and my high weight was 326. I am down to 247, and don't really have any loose skin. Of course, that is only a 79 pound difference. I am 27 pounds away from my goal weight, and hope that it stays that way. If I do end up with lose skin, I will take that over being 300+ pounds.

With any luck, you will be fine. Even if you do end up with excess skin, maybe it will either not be noticeable or located somewhere that is easier to hide (upper thighs and stomach). Either way, it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck bro!

Here is my opinion I was 398 the day of surgery April 6 today I’m around 270. I have loose skin especially my back. I have to re adjust when I lay down. But what I tell people. Would you rather be fat and die younger or have extra skin and live longer

I asked my doctor and several people who have had the surgery done and this is what they have told me.
1. Some loose skin is unavoidable. It’s gonna happen and is largely determined by genetics
2. Firming lotions help. Especially those high in collagen. I use the Jergens firming lotion after I get out the shower. ( granted I’m only 2 weeks post)
3. Weight training. This is a no brainer

Didn’t realize this was a y’all dude thread [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Happens to me in the all women's threads too lok

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Happens to me in the all women's threads too lol

Happens to me in the all women's threads too lol

I started at 518 lbs 2 years ago and am now at 214 lbs and holding steady. I have some loose skin in my arms and a little bit in my legs. I still have a lot in my stomach area. To be honest, it hasn't been a big deal for me. There isn't anything that the loose skin prevents me from doing. It does give me a bit of a middle-aged paunch in my stomach area if I tuck in my shirt, but compression shorts or shirts pretty well minimize that. Obviously, plastic surgery would be an option to deal with the loose skin, but I doubt that I will do it. It doesn't bother me enough at this point to want to deal with the expense and recovery time.

I started at 518 lbs 2 years ago and am now at 214 lbs and holding steady. I have some loose skin in my arms and a little bit in my legs. I still have a lot in my stomach area. To be honest, it hasn't been a big deal for me. There isn't anything that the loose skin prevents me from doing. It does give me a bit of a middle-aged paunch in my stomach area if I tuck in my shirt, but compression shorts or shirts pretty well minimize that. Obviously, plastic surgery would be an option to deal with the loose skin, but I doubt that I will do it. It doesn't bother me enough at this point to want to deal with the expense and recovery time.

You just gave me so much hope. Started at 545 I'm down yo 447. In 4 months. Can't Wait to get down to You!

100 lbs down in 4 months is terrific progress. Keep up the good work! The best part is that it will get easier and easier to exercise and be active, which I think really helped me. Before surgery, I couldn't walk a block without getting out of breath and had to use a handicapped parking permit. Now, I jog 4 miles every morning at 5 am. I never thought that would happen.

I lost about 150 pounds, and just had plastic surgery to take care of the extra skin. There are some areas that did pretty well - my arms for instance look pretty good as I've built up some muscle there... but there was really no help for my belly and thighs. There are a number of factors, but the reality is that your skin can only shrink so much, and it's going to be a matter of how much you personally are okay with. For me - I wanted to take care of it so I chose to have a lower body lift and thigh lift. Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I think the reality is that if you're losing 100+ pounds you're likely to have extra skin regardless of what you do.

Starting weight was 338 I am currently down to 276 a little more than two months post surgery, no loose skin as of yet! However just like several others have said that does not mean that you will not have any, due to the multiple factors. If you are really curious check out videos on youtube. I currently am working out like a madman to try to loose another 6 pounds before I go see my surgeon Nov 2nd. I have been told by several reliable sources that lifting weights, not trying to lift heavy but increasing your reps and sets help tone you're muscle and assist with sagging skin. I am not lifting as of yet but focusing straight on cardio since I have enough mass, and desire to burn fat. In a few more months I will switch to doing both when I am comfortable with my endurance. I know that I may end up with some loose skin right around my belly button but that is fine, I would rather have that than all of the excess weight!

After reading all the replies, I AM PUMPED! Had a talk with my elder brother who also had the sleeve done and he didn't have too much excess skin either. He worked his ass off in the gym. That's my plan as well.

I get on the Optifast diet from tomorrow. I'm ready for this!