Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I smoke post-op?
I’ve been an active marijuana user for quite some time now. I mainly use oils in a vape pen for discreetness and rarely will smoke it in a herbal form. I’ve actually replaced 2 of my antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication with marijuana and I had great results.
I know smoking tobacco before surgery is a no go. I don’t smoke cigarettes and I stopped smoking my cannabis oil during my pre-op stage. I am one week post-op and I do have minimal pain and I usually use the oil to sleep or get rid of headaches and back pain. I was prescribed Norcos and I do not like the way it makes me feel and it’s very addictive so it would be so much better for me if I can replace the opiate with something I’m comfortable with and know how much my body needs and won’t depend on. I also do NOT get munchies, once again I use it to sleep so it’s more of a hybrid with indica being the main focus.
Thank you!

1 minute ago, Rose400491 said:

Can I smoke post-op?

I’ve been an active marijuana user for quite some time now. I mainly use oils in a vape pen for discreetness and rarely will smoke it in a herbal form. I’ve actually replaced 2 of my antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication with marijuana and I had great results.

I know smoking tobacco before surgery is a no go. I don’t smoke cigarettes and I stopped smoking my cannabis oil during my pre-op stage. I am one week post-op and I do have minimal pain and I usually use the oil to sleep or get rid of headaches and back pain. I was prescribed Norcos and I do not like the way it makes me feel and it’s very addictive so it would be so much better for me if I can replace the opiate with something I’m comfortable with and know how much my body needs and won’t depend on.

Thank you!

I used pot. The shrink asked me to stop to prove I'm not addicted.

I decided to give it up because the munchies can be a contributing factor for me.

I smoke and dont have any issues. But I think I waited about two months after surgery before I started again.

You should be fine. I know there are lots of different strains. If you buy from a dispensary, maybe you can find a strain that helps with inflammation. Consider this an opportunity to try something new. Good luck!

I live in PA where we have a new Medical Marijuana law. I definitely qualify and would like to try it in the vape form. It's been a long time since I've smoked up, but the few times that I've done it, I've been anxiety-free for almost 2 full days. Please keep us posted if you decide to try.

I’ve been smoking a bit here and there. Helps so much with nausea . I have to be careful tho bc it’s a slippery slope for me with food. Previously I’d allow myself to binge and munch using it as a vehicle but now I can’t. I realize it isn’t the pot but my issues driving it. I have to be very careful but I’ll never give it up.

Sleeved 8/7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 213 @ 10 weeks post op 5'7" GW: 150

I live in PA where we have a new Medical Marijuana law. I definitely qualify and would like to try it in the vape form. It's been a long time since I've smoked up, but the few times that I've done it, I've been anxiety-free for almost 2 full days. Please keep us posted if you decide to try.

Update! Im now fully off my Norcos and smoking if I have pain and for sleeping. I smoked my oil in my pen last night and I had no changes it just put me to sleep like normally and I felt good in the morning! So for me personally there’s no difference. So much better than taking opiates yuck those pills are poison

No smoking from anything including an e pen! The risk of getting ulcers is very high if you keep smoking or vaping. Get an oil version of the weed you consume!

Can I smoke post-op?
I know smoking tobacco before surgery is a no go. I don’t smoke cigarettes and I stopped smoking my cannabis oil during my pre-op stage. I am one week post-op and I do have minimal pain and I usually use the oil to sleep or get rid of headaches and back pain. I was prescribed Norcos and I do not like the way it makes me feel and it’s very addictive so it would be so much better for me if I can replace the opiate with something I’m comfortable with and know how much my body needs and won’t depend on. I also do NOT get munchies, once again I use it to sleep so it’s more of a hybrid with indica being the main focus.
Thank you!

You should definitely be fine. And you will feel better and sleep better too. I love in GA so it's not legal here yet, but I have to take pain meds for the rest of my life because of my spine and bad nerve damage and failed surgery. My pain management doctor told me I should get rid of the pills and smoke a blunt and it should be legal anyway. I would definitely do it but my husband is against it. My doc told me that it's so much better than the pills and better than my health and I would definitely feel better and not be in so much pain. A girl can dream ...

Best wishes!

Dotty Cole

11 hours ago, dcole007 said:

You should definitely be fine. And you will feel better and sleep better too. I love in GA so it's not legal here yet, but I have to take pain meds for the rest of my life because of my spine and bad nerve damage and failed surgery. My pain management doctor told me I should get rid of the pills and smoke a blunt and it should be legal anyway. I would definitely do it but my husband is against it. My doc told me that it's so much better than the pills and better than my health and I would definitely feel better and not be in so much pain. A girl can dream ...

Best wishes!

Dotty Cole

Your husband is against you smoking to alleviate pain? Get a new husband.

1 minute ago, Half-Tum said:

Your husband is against you smoking to alleviate pain? Get a new husband.

Oy... Don't be so quick to dump someone who has been supportive for years. That's how the divorce rate is 80%

13 minutes ago, ShawnZ said:

Oy... Don't be so quick to dump someone who has been supportive for years. That's how the divorce rate is 80%

Thank you for your opinion.