Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure I'm not alone in having moments where you are shocked by the changes your body is making. What are some of your moments that made you stop and say, "Whoa!"?

The most recent change I've noticed has been being able to see the tendons in my hands and feet. I still catch my reflection in windows and think, "who is that?!" Since my job is fairly physical and has me stooping and kneeling a lot, I am amazed when I can basically jump back up from a kneeling position without breaking a sweat or having to grab onto something. In fact being able to push myself up from any position (especially laying down) still surprises me. When I first started to see my collar bones, I'd see how visible I could make them by moving muscles or my neck and arms in certain ways (okay I still do this).

Shoulder bones... Other than my face, this is the most drastic change. You can actually feel my shoulder bones. I have never noticed that in my entire life. It is actually worrisome to me. My entire body is really lean now except the old belly. That still has a way to go, but I hope that I don't lose too much more in the other places. I guess my belly was the last to come, and will be the last to leave.

Other than that, I can do an hour on a treadmill at 4mph with a 12 degree incline...No holding. My heart rate stays below 175 the entire time also. I couldn't get above 6 degrees for more than 25 minutes at 3mph before surgery. Not only that, but I would max my heart rate out at 184 within 20 minutes of walking at that pace and elevation.

I'm scared, but it is time to start some ab work! Hopefully that will sprout that 2 pack into a 4 pack.

16 hours ago, monalyssa33 said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in having moments where you are shocked by the changes your body is making. What are some of your moments that made you stop and say, "Whoa!"?

The most recent change I've noticed has been being able to see the tendons in my hands and feet. I still catch my reflection in windows and think, "who is that?!" Since my job is fairly physical and has me stooping and kneeling a lot, I am amazed when I can basically jump back up from a kneeling position without breaking a sweat or having to grab onto something. In fact being able to push myself up from any position (especially laying down) still surprises me. When I first started to see my collar bones, I'd see how visible I could make them by moving muscles or my neck and arms in certain ways (okay I still do this).

For me It was almost seeing my ab muscles now!!!! And the veins in my arms when I work out!! Also being able to look down and see my.....Well....You know...

Edited by JerseyJules

I feel like I lost some height because I used to have to buy tall clothes (I'm about 5'8") but now they're way too long on me. I know I didn't actually lose height, I just don't have as much in the booty and belly to fill clothes out, so now I can buy regular length pants. Nice for me because they are often a bit cheaper!

I lost about 1.5 shoe sizes! So funny that my feet were that fat!

2 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

I lost about 1.5 shoe sizes! So funny that my feet were that fat!

People kept asking me if my feet had shrunk and I kept telling them they hadn't yet, but then suddenly my size 11 shoes started feeling way too big. I only own 2 pairs of shoes (I'm not the stereotypical female) so I'll have to go buy more.

Finding out how muscular my thighs are and actually touching that muscle, not flab, when I rest my hands on my leg. And looking at pictures for the first time, thinking it's my 15 year old, size 0 niece (no, I'm definitely not a size 0), and having to do a double take because it's me! Those are a couple big ones that pop into my mind, my wow moment when it really hits me how drastically I've changed.