Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story - Would like a friend in similar situation

Honestly, I've felt less motivated to post updates of my journey here because of the thought that people will question it. Decided that I should post again, anyway. If it feels to me there is too much opposition I will leave this app behind. I am not looking for advice, unless I ask for it, but primarily ask and take advice from my doctor. I'm not trying to get anyone to follow my example but just want to log my journey here. Hopefully there will be encouragement. If not, oh well.

I'm at a week-long training away from home and forgot to bring my scale. So, last I checked I was at 215 four days ago. I might be the same or I might be at 214 or 213 but have no way of knowing until I get home on Monday.

Running has been going excellent! I ran a quarter-marathon (6.55 miles) on Sunday evening. Pre-op I had been doing that weekly. Well, this time I did my fastest time ever--1:02--just over an hour. Today I ran 3.8 miles (1/8 marathon) and again had my fastest time ever--28:48. Felt great. Back in my room I did 40 sit-ups, 30 push-ups and 20 squats.

I was nervous about eating at this event with other people. It is cafeteria style. But it hasn't been a problem. I'm just taking very small portions and chewing a lot. Even though everyone has noticed my weight loss, no one has noticed (or mentioned, I should say) my small portion sizes. Eating very soft meats, soft vegetables, eggs and Soup.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5' 8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 215 (or less), GW: 170.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:53 PM, LoBMI VSGguy46 said:

Honestly, I've felt less motivated to post updates of my journey here because of the thought that people will question it. Decided that I should post again, anyway. If it feels to me there is too much opposition I will leave this app behind. I am not looking for advice, unless I ask for it, but primarily ask and take advice from my doctor. I'm not trying to get anyone to follow my example but just want to log my journey here. Hopefully there will be encouragement. If not, oh well.

I'm at a week-long training away from home and forgot to bring my scale. So, last I checked I was at 215 four days ago. I might be the same or I might be at 214 or 213 but have no way of knowing until I get home on Monday.

Running has been going excellent! I ran a quarter-marathon (6.55 miles) on Sunday evening. Pre-op I had been doing that weekly. Well, this time I did my fastest time ever--1:02--just over an hour. Today I ran 3.8 miles (1/8 marathon) and again had my fastest time ever--28:48. Felt great. Back in my room I did 40 sit-ups, 30 push-ups and 20 squats.

I was nervous about eating at this event with other people. It is cafeteria style. But it hasn't been a problem. I'm just taking very small portions and chewing a lot. Even though everyone has noticed my weight loss, no one has noticed (or mentioned, I should say) my small portion sizes. Eating very soft meats, soft vegetables, eggs and Soup.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5' 8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 215 (or less), GW: 170.

Hi there :)

I have been reading through your posts and I'm impressed! At one point I started liking them as well, and what I really like is your commitment to chronicle all of your ups and downs so honestly and personally. I wish you staying strong and on track and like you said, follow your doctors advice, cause that one is specifically made for you. There are general rules that work for most, but they don't apply to all.

You seem to be very well educated in whats right and whats not and you are doing best you can while being a dad, a husband, and a coworker. It is surely harder to blend in with a crowd where nobody knows about the surgery, but you are making it possible while following the basic rules. Kudos to you!

I also think since you were leading a very active lifestyle prior to surgery and for an average height male didnt have a really high starting weight it all comes easier to you, as it should be. Existing muscle helps burn more fat, all the work you are doing definitely helps it, as well and you are surely eating less now. I have been very strict with myself at first, cause I wanted to get into the right mindset and change my pre op habits. I changed them a lot and keep changing them, adjusting to current situation which is a work in progress - daily work. I also have to admit that recently I have been allowing myself not to have to be too strict. To avoid eating what I shouldnt I simply don buy it anymore, and even if I wanted to eat more i cant - there are days when I cant have more than 2 meals (if my Breakfast was late). The only 4 things I'm really strict about are: portion size, drinking Water only, taking all my Vitamins and while having meals eating Protein first. All other things that I get usually done during the day I'm trying to fit comfortably into my schedule without overwhelming it, and my schedule changes all the time as well. I know I'm doing well cause my doctor keeps reminding me of it every time I see him, and my 3 mo blood work came back all good - I'm very proud of that :)

There is something you said that I'd like to shed some objective light on. Please think of it as an observation from a person who just read in one take all that happened to you in the past month. In your very first post you were expressing hope to find a buddy to help you tag along in your journey, and its very understandable especially cause of your situation where you cant really talk about it to anyone other than your wife and doc. Then you decided you will use this medium to post daily updates like in a blog, or diary, which is fine too, that's why this forum is here, so we could write what we think and want to write, or show our progress. I don't have time to post daily but when I can I write what I want to write about, so I get your point of view.

Then eventually you started writing this post, and I got worried that you will quit updating us on your impressive progress, that is bound to inspire many people who will happen to come across your thread. As much as I understand your reasons for posting here and I respect your wish to do it blog style, I also wish you understood that it is still an open, public forum, and people who will read it might want to comment on it, praise it or find problems with it, just like in a blog. This is actually also how the buddy system (one you originally wished for) should work: we support each other, and also try to keep each other accountable for all of our actions. Its both productive and helpful, cause in the craziness of every day, or special events, like upcoming holidays, more and more of us will need extra support, and it has to work both ways for the system to be effective. Remember, we are all buddies here :), and although each of our journeys is different, we all came to the decision to get the surgery done with different motivations behind it, we all also have the same goal - weight loss. Sadly not everyone realizes that fact, and we all like to think that things which work for us should work for others as well.

I personally like to hear about all ways to make the most of the surgery, and if I read here something that I like, I will ask my doctor for his opinion before applying it into my routine. Every little thing might help, but we might not know about the options if nobody would want to share them. So keep on sharing people, and be supportive, and when faced with criticism, well, think about it, maybe its valid, and if it doesn't apply simply move on.

I seriously hope I didn't discourage you from writing more, cause I find your journey both honest and inspiring, and that's the only criteria I need to keep wanting to read more.

Keep up your awesome work and keep making good choices, now is the time to set a solid basis for the future and keep up with it. I hope to read more of your adventures in months to come. :)

Good luck! May the only thing we lose here be our weight :)

I had my one month follow up visit with my doctor today. Excellent! She said that my exercise and nutrition are wonderful. I've lost 21 pounds since my pre-surgery consult appointment and that is almost up to the amount they expect people with my BMI to get to after 6 months.

Felt a little pain behind my scars tonight. Probably from playing a little basketball with my son this evening.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5' 8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 212, GW: 170

Glad to see you back, keep up the good work!

Have exercised a lot the past two days and have eaten a lot. I've gotten down over 2,000 calories both days. I can't do it at once, but by grazing I can eat a lot. Feel like my sleeve was good for about 15 of the 58 I've lost since last year and keeps me from eating a lot at one sitting. Beyond that, it seems up to me and my discipline to lose more and get to my goal weight. Still have a long way to go.

Loving exercise and the serious increase in all that my body can do. Ran my fastest time yet (24:40) in a Thanksgiving day 5K race. Yesterday I ran a quarter-marathon (6.55 miles) in training, and it was my fastest time yet (1:01:27). Still hope to get that under an hour soon. I've felt noticeably stronger during my dumbbell workouts and added another 5 lbs to each one. Ate a lot during Thanksgiving, but have continued to lose weight. I know I could put it back on by eating junk and drinking sugar, so it is on me to be consistent with healthy choices. I've bought all new clothes already and enjoy how I look plus the positive feedback I'm getting. Grew a beard for a couple weeks but shaved it off yesterday. Can't wait to get under 200. Hopefully I can do so by the end of the year. I haven't noticed any taste changes--I like all the same stuff. I'm 5.5 weeks post-op and eating anything now. Still haven't tried beef Jerky but will probably get some soon. Had popcorn for the first time a couple days ago. Looking forward to more of that.

There is a guy in the office who is big-time obese and has some comorbidities as a result, but no diabetes. He is always friendly, but perhaps passive-aggressive. I'm new to the office and there might have already been some jealousy on his part with some of the hype our mutual boss gave me when I arrived. Now I sense some more as I have been successful in this journey so far and he has not. I think he's happy for me but just doesn't want to hear the praise I get from others. He gets annoyed easily by me now and scheduled an annual review meeting on a date he knew I'd be gone. Normally, people share encouragements of one another at this meeting and I can guess I'd hear a lot about my weight loss. But that's okay with me--I don't really need that, and if it keeps him from having to hear it, too, all the better. But I wrote these words down the other day, "If you do anything above average there will always be some people who are jealous and resentful of any praise you receive from others." I can't let that stop me, but I still need to be gracious to all.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017

Male, 46, 5'8"

HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 210.8, GW: 170

Well, I've hit a stall and have even gained about 3 pounds. Not sure why. I have felt hungrier than usual and could easily graze all day if I wanted to. I have eaten a little more than usual. Hope this ends soon and that the weight continues to drop. Afraid I have lost discipline and now it will all come back on.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5'8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 212, GW: 170.

I have had a stall last 5 weeks, and finally today I saw my weight drop. So I'm still 1 pound away from reaching 100 lb weight loss, I think I can make it happen before Dec 11 which will mark 5 months post op.

I know you didn't want to hear any advice, so if you want any, ask. I'm not sure i can help much, all I know is from my own example, and from what the doc recommends, to me.

I figured its always best to listen to your body, without giving in too much, gotta be strict with it, and consequent. Maybe having a reward system might help? And the rewards cant be food related, lol. My family always has pizza on Fridays and I usually took one little slice, or two if they were really small 1/8's. So I stopped doing it. Also took out the desert options of small dark chocolate mint, and replaced it with some greek yogurt, if needed. And lastly stopped buying fish that was breaded, which I started a month ago. It seems to be so easy to fall off the wagon, what matters is that we can see the change in choices we made and come back to basics.

Keeping myself accountable is one way I deal with my diet and I don't allow for any grazing. I started using a trick too. After my meals I wait 30 min or so to drink, and then I go to brush my teeth, and this way I don't want to mess them up till I am hungry enough for my next meal, and prevent grazing.

Hope that gives you some ideas, also, keep in mind its the holidays, and normally people gain in this time a year a few pounds. I know we should be losing, but we are humans with weaknesses. I'm pretty sure after the holidays it will be easier to get back in former rhythms.

I wish you all the best on your journey. Don't give up and focus on what you can change to make it better. Ask your doc to guide you personally. Btw, are you seeing your dietitian? They might help as well. I will see mine after holidays for 3-rd time since surgery. They usually request a menu sampler of what we ate 1-2 days before the appointment. Its vital to be honest and to talk all ups and downs over with them, they will only help when they know where the problem might be.

Best of luck :)

I was sleeved 10/18. My weight loss has slowed down but I have lost 26 pounds since surgery. In the year prior to surgery I had lost 38 pounds. I don't feel a lot of restriction (to my surprise) and my tastes haven't changed at all that I can notice. I can easily eat 2,000 calories a day, and normally eat in the 1,800-2,000 range, sometimes more. I have. Even doing a lot of exercise--mostly running and dumbbell workouts. I ran 8 miles this past Saturday, followed by 5 on Sunday. I don't regret the sleeve at all--I could almost forget that I had it--but fear that I will either stop losing weight or that I will regain it all back eventually.

Sleeved 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5'8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 206, GW: 170

I ran in a half marathon last Saturday and did it under 2 hours! My body shape looks mostly normal but I still have a belly. Weight loss has definitely slowed down for me. I've been between 210 and 205 the last few weeks. Would really like to be under 200.

Sleeved 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5'8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 205, GW: 170

I had my three-month follow up this past Monday. Doctor says I'm doing perfect. (Always good to hear!) lost 11 pounds since my one-month follow up. She said her goal for me is to lose 70% of excess weight by one year, and that I'm only 16 pounds away from that with 9 months to go. So, well ahead of schedule. Traveled overseas for the past 3 weeks and didn't always tracked what I ate, ate a lot of rice, but ran 5 miles almost every morning in 5 different countries. Came back home and my weight was the same as when I had left. But I lost another belt size during this time. Today I am down again and on the cusp of what they call "one-derland." Can't wait to be under 200. Haven't been this thin since I was 26 and ran a marathon in 1998. My new clothes are getting lose again. I used to buy XXL shirts. I went to buy an L the other day and it felt big. So I tried an M and was amazed that it fit me! I feel fantastic but am eager to continue to get rid of the loose belly I still have and for the scars to continue to fade (big one is still indented). Wishing to Celebrate with someone today but don't know who, so I'm posting here.

Sleeved 10/18/2017
Male, 46, 5'8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 200, GW: 170

I believe they call this “one-derland”! Boo-yaa! PTL! #down70 IMG_5169.JPG

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am diabetic. I was taking Victoza, Jardiance and Metformin before surgery but now I am only on Metformin and so far my numbers look pretty decent (around 100). But I would like to get off Metformin altogether, too.

Mine is pretty similar except a female lol. I am 44 and had surgery on 2/13 . I have been looking on here for a forum for lower BMI let me know if you see one please[emoji3]

Pre op diet 188
Surgery day 180
Cw 172.8