Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story - Would like a friend in similar situation

I was just sleeved on Oct 18, 2017. I am a white male, 46 years old, 5' 8", and a devout follower of Christ. My highest weight ever was 270. I lowered this slowly during the first half of 2017 to 255 when I signed up for the surgery. In August I started my life reset in preparation for surgery and followed the pre-op diet. I started running a lot and was doing 1-2 miles most days, and 6.55 miles on weekends. I ran a 5K the Saturday before surgery. The day of surgery I weighed 232. Now, four days out, my weight is 228. My goal weight is 170, I believe. (Not sure how to decide about that.)
Since surgery I have had a lot of abdominal pain, but it has gotten a little better each day. The night after going home (day after surgery) my calf muscles started hurting. Doctor didn't think it was clots. I started walking a lot and enjoy it quite a bit. I've walked between 6-12 miles each day since I've been home. I only threw up my pain medicine once (which was painful) but haven't thrown up, or even felt like it, since. Each day I reduced the frequency of taking the pain medicine and today went without it. Today my calf pain was almost gone. The first two days after surgery I only drank around 30 oz., I think, which might have contributed to that pain. These last two days I've gotten my 64 oz. down or more.
I've noticed last night and today that food my family was eating looked REALLY good and I wanted to eat it so bad. Felt hungry. This worries me some.
I can't wait until my belly stops hurting and I can start running again. My belly still looks bloated out from the incisions. Wondering when I can expect for that to happen. I also wonder when the reduced hunger pangs are going to happen, if ever. If I feel as tempted as I did today it will be a difficult journey for me.

Also, the only person in my life who knows I've had this surgery is my wife. I haven't told parents, kids, friends or coworkers. My parents expressed opposition a couple years ago so when I made the decision I decided that it was a personal one that they didn't need to know about. But I would like to make a friend or two on here so I can discuss things on this journey.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am diabetic. I was taking Victoza, Jardiance and Metformin before surgery but now I am only on Metformin and so far my numbers look pretty decent (around 100). But I would like to get off Metformin altogether, too.

I completely understand. I've told some people about my upcoming surgery 10/26 but not all. I've joined a few Facebook groups but I won't dare post or like anything lol. I feel it's my right to keep this private.
I do not have diabetes however my husband does. I'm always on him about it because he doesn't manage it properly. Anyway nice to meet you and welcome to the forum. I'm getting sleeved in 3 days if you'd like to keep in touch that'd be great!

I have a really similar story to you. Here's where I'm at... I'm a 37yr old 5'7 male. I too lost 35 lbs Pre Op and the 7-8 mos before surgery. I had surgery on OCT 5th. I'm doing great... Heaviest Weight=280 My Surgery Weight was 245 and it's 16 days post op and I'm 230. I have a ton of muscle on my body I have lifted weights since I was 16 yrs old. You will see the restriction when u get too the pureed food stage very soon. Don't worry the hunger/gherlin does go away... You will realize eating has to completely change now.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Since I have no better place to do it, I will log my journey entries here from time to time like a blog post. I don't mean to annoy anyone, but it will help me keep a record of the different things I experience, and what times, before I forget.

Exercise--I started jogging again on Day 7, one week after my surgery. Just a mile, and I took it very slowly. My pace was something like 13:42. My belly felt heavy inside upon each footfall, but not painful. My surgeon had told me that I could start running again as soon as I felt comfortable. I had my one-week follow up appointment later that morning and he seemed happy to hear I had jogged and asked how it went. I told him I took it slow but that my legs wanted to go faster.

I jogged again yesterday and did my standard 1.3 mikes, which is two laps around my neighborhood. My pace increased to 12:19/mile and felt just a bit better.

This morning I ran the 1.3 miles and felt better when I started out. I was surprised to see my pace jump to 10:50/mile. Very encouraged! My belly didn't feel as heavy, but could still feel it. (My pace before surgery was 8:30-9:00/mile.)

When I got home after running today I thought I'd try sit-ups, like I had been doing before surgery. I was a bit scared because this meant scrunching my belly--where I had been cut and still have five incision wounds. I started slowly but was surprised after the first one how good it felt--almost normal! So I ripped off 20 and then did 20 push-ups. I could definitely feel the weight loss when I did the push-ups!

I was so excited with how good those exercises felt, I went downstairs and did a number of resistance band exercises. Felt great.

I'm excited now that 9 days out I feel I can do all of my normal exercises and more!

Today's date: October 27, 2017 (Day 9)
Sleeved on: 10/18/2017
HW: 270
SW: 232
CW: 222
GW: 170
Male, 46, 5'8"

It sounds like you are doing great. Don't get too adventurist and hurt yourself though.

Doubts... I know you're not supposed to look at the scale every day, but I have been. (Don't lecture me.) Today (day 9) was the first day I didn't lose weight. Most days it's been down more than a pound, but this morning my number actually went up a tick. Do we call this the Day 9 Stall? For the first time I feel the fear that I've already gone as far as I will.

Also, I'm wondering if my surgeon made my sleeve too big. I can eat a whole can of Soup (cream of chicken with one can's worth of Water added) easily in one setting. Not feeling the restriction. Worried now that I'll never lose much beyond this.

I'm 5'7 37 yr old male. Just had VSG 23 days ago. OCT 5TH,. My HW=280 SW=250 CW =229 GW=170/180

I'm 5'7 37 yr old male. Just had VSG 23 days ago. OCT 5TH,. My HW=280 SW=250 CW =229 GW=170/180

Has your weight loss been consistent every day, or has it stopped and restarted?

Today was a good day--no issues other than seeing some fruit and other food I wanted to eat. Felt thinner today--got a haircut and really noticed how much thinner my face is. Was smiling some looking in the mirror. Ears stick out a little more than before.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017, Day 10.
Male, 46, 5'8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 221, GW: 170

Up and down also . I started hitting the gym Day 8 post op. I watched a great video on Youtube by a Bariatric doctor that emphasized not going to the gym for the first 3 mos. Im gonna give it a try and see what happens cause im definately at a stall.

Haven't noticed any pain in my left shoulder as before, but started to feel it a little toward the end of my 2 mile run today. Shaved another minute plus off my mile pace. Still haven't lost any weight since day 8. Today is Day 11.

Some good news is that I'm off 2 of my 3 diabetes medicines and am off blood pressure meds. The last diabetes medicine in on is Metformin and I think I could probably stop that, too, because my numbers have been low. Have appointment with endricinologist next week.

Sleeved on 10/18/2017, Day 11
Male, 46, 5'8"
HW: 270, SW: 232, CW: 222, GW: 170

On 10/27/2017 at 10:47 PM, LoBMI VSGguy46 said:

Not feeling the restriction. Worried now that I'll never lose much beyond this.

Believe me...you will once you start solids!!! Soups are liquids, much easier to get down and do more of.

I had a complete stall at 3 weeks. Ive lost 15 to get down to 230 since surgery. I have a totally different outlook on working out after watching Dr V's Videos on YouTube about working out. I was a total gym rat before the surgery losing 30 lbs in 7 months. I tried to be a gym rat starting 8 days after surgery and I still hit a big time stall. Im not taking in enough calories to supply my body with the tools to grow muscle and lose fat. So im taking awhile off too see if I start losing quicker.. Check out Dr. Duc C Vuong Working out after Gastric Sleeve