Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often did/ do you vomit post-surgery?

I'm more than 2 years out...

The first (and only) time I vomited was at 13 months out...yes, 1 year post-op. By the way, the vomiting was self-induced because I ate something that resulted in severe colicky pain.

9 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

month 6. Now I find myself more sensitive to food than ever, specifically fatty food.

If you still have your gallbladder, time to have it checked.

2 weeks out and only twice so far. Those were at the hospital and like a previous poster mentioned more likely caused by having been put under and it really was more like dry heaving and foam.

I'm 5 weeks out. I nearly vomited a couple of times in the few days after surgery, but anti-nausea took care of it. I have vomited twice since then from eating a tiny bit too much. It really wasn't that big of a deal. I'm still trying to figure out how much to eat and what full feels like!

14 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Can I suggest that it maybe worthwhile to watch some episodes of FAT DOCTOR or THE OBESITY MYTH or WEIGHT LOSS WARD on Youtube?

By watching a range of episodes (about 25 altogether) in the two months prior to my own surgery, I got to see almost the whole range of others' experiences AND how the surgeons, GPs and hospital staff intervened or helped.

It might help to read some of the threads here where others have discussed how they've handled reflux/vomiting, etc.

Best wishes in getting through this period ahead.

Thanks for the tip! I will go to YouTube and watch these. :) Megan

9 hours ago, Introversion said:

I'm more than 2 years out...

The first (and only) time I vomited was at 13 months out...yes, 1 year post-op. By the way, the vomiting was self-induced because I ate something that resulted in severe colicky pain.

Good to know. I am pretty strong usually, able to stop those reflexes but this could change with the surgery. I am keeping a positive attitude. :) Thanks! Megan

Once. The day I came home. I fight vomiting but it actually made me feel better. I was nauseous after surgery but they gave me medication and I felt better fast.

17 hours ago, MN_Meg770 said:

Hi all,

I am just starting this process. I see the surgeon and team for first time on 12/19. I have a terrible fear of vomiting- I get panic attacks when I feel like I may get sick. Both people I know that have had gastric bypass have to throw up at least once a week. This is the only thing that scares me about surgery- I’m leaning towards the sleeve. I need to mentally prepare for this if I’m going to have to deal with the “v” on a regular basis. Any thoughts or advice?

thanks!! Megan

5 weeks post op SIPS DS...no vomiting here either. I don't react badly to anesthesia (some do) and I have followed my doctor's instructions very carefully....the thing that takes time to wrap my head around is just how slowly and how thoroughly I must chew anything and how little I can eat at one time.

34 minutes ago, dreamynow said:

have only vomited a few times. I got really hungry and ate too much Protein (chicken) too quickly. Sometimes my tummy needs a few minutes to know it’s full. One bite or two over my limit and I feel like it’s stuck and then I vomit.

I’m 9 weeks btw

That's what happened to me when I started solid foods. I ate a few pieces of chicken fast (didn't thoroughly chew) and felt queezy. I went to throw up but I later found out that after gastric sleeve one doesn't throw up bile. It's more like mucous and spit. After spitting a few times I felt better and realized I needed to chew my food better and slower. I'm also nine weeks out from surgery.

Not at all, not once..A few dry heaves in the hospital the next day from Beef broth..But that was it.

1 hour ago, BDME said:

Same. Not once.

Good news! Thank you.

I did occasionally the first couple of months - like if I ate too fast or if things didn't sit well - or if I didn't chew enough. Now, I almost never vomit.

Vomiting is way easier after surgery than before. For one thing, you don't have nearly as much in your stomach. For another, there's not as much acid there, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth. It doesn't bother me nearly as much any more.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

I did occasionally the first couple of months - like if I ate too fast or if things didn't sit well - or if I didn't chew enough. Now, I almost never vomit.

Vomiting is way easier after surgery than before. For one thing, you don't have nearly as much in your stomach. For another, there's not as much acid there, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth. It doesn't bother me nearly as much any more.

Thanks for that perspective. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. 😊