Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I was sleeved 10/17 along with a hernia repair and discharged 10/18. I was only getting 7 oz of Fluid in a day and finally called my surgeon. He said I was released way to soon and need to get back to the hospital since I was so dehydrated only getting 7 oz of liquid in per day. He said I need to be getting 60-70oz in per day. Unfortunately I am still in the hospital and won’t be released until I can start drinking.

Thankfully I haven’t had any nausea or throwing up, however when I drink something I feel it hit my stomach or now pouch and it feels like an elephant jumps on it. Has anyone experienced this?

Hello Excitedforthesleeve! I just joined to ask if anyone else is going through the same thing. I was sleeved on 10/18/17 and released the next day. I’ve been keeping in contact with my doctor’s office and letting them know that I can maybe get in 8 ounces of liquid total a day because I’m worried about becoming dehydrated too. For me the feeling is like there’s just no room for anything I swallow to go. I think the sleeve can get so swollen in some people that it just takes a little longer for it to calm down. Today I switched to clear Protein Drinks instead of the powder and I’ve managed to get a little more down. I hope you start feeling better soon and that you will be able to drink and get out of the hospital as quickly and safely as possible!

During the first several days, if you feel like you are having trouble fitting Protein Shakes down, then just stick with Clear Liquids. If you can't drink at least 40oz of clear liquids, then you need to contact your surgeon, and probably get an IV for fluids.

My program had me only on clear liquids for the first week.. no Protein shakes. It doesn't hurt to go a week without much protein (I could drink broth).. but it hurts a LOT to not get enough fluids in. Protein shakes started on week 2, and that was the right timing for me. Shoot.. 8 days postop and MILK seemed super thick!

Agree with berry.

It is so easy to get dehydrated. I did in the beginning. Thankfully, when I went to the ER it wasn't severe dehydration. But it was enough that it kept me there for several hours with IV fluids.

I also didn't do the Protein Shakes the first week. Just clear liquids. After the trip to the ER, I came up with some things that helped me get my liquids, because Water always made me feel sick. I did Decaf unsweetened iced tea, Crystal Light lemonade (0 sugar) and Powerade Zero (no sugar or calories). Also, when water finally went down okay, I found that the only way I could drink it without feeling sick was to pour it in a glass and add a ton of ice. For me, then and now (11 months post op), it has to be ice cold.

Take good care of yourself and experiment with different liquids and broths.

I'm interested to know what the symptoms of dehydration are with the sleeve.

I didn't get badly dehydrated postop, but did once during an illness back in college. I didn't notice anything wrong until I went to get up and couldn't. I was so dizzy I had to crawl out of the door of my dorm and lay down in the hallway. Everything was just spinning and spinning. (A janitor found me and got me help). Doc asked if I was spinning or the room was, but I couldn't tell. A bag of Fluid fixed me right up.

When I am a little dehydrated nowadays my fingers swell, headache, have hearing or vision changes upon standing (orthostatic hypotension), darker yellow pee (or don't go all day), etc.

For some reason I don't feel thirst very often. So I just have to remind myself to drink.

Hello Excitedforthesleeve! I just joined to ask if anyone else is going through the same thing. I was sleeved on 10/18/17 and released the next day. I’ve been keeping in contact with my doctor’s office and letting them know that I can maybe get in 8 ounces of liquid total a day because I’m worried about becoming dehydrated too. For me the feeling is like there’s just no room for anything I swallow to go. I think the sleeve can get so swollen in some people that it just takes a little longer for it to calm down. Today I switched to clear Protein drinks instead of the powder and I’ve managed to get a little more down. I hope you start feeling better soon and that you will be able to drink and get out of the hospital as quickly and safely as possible!

Thank you! I hope you feel better as well. For protein for the first week or two to sip on Isopure the orange has been my favorite so far it doesn’t have much taste. They had to do a ct when I got here and they said I was extremely swollen which is most likely where the pain is coming from

Agree with Berry.
It is so easy to get dehydrated. I did in the beginning. Thankfully, when I went to the ER it wasn't severe dehydration. But it was enough that it kept me there for several hours with IV fluids.
I also didn't do the Protein Shakes the first week. Just clear liquids. After the trip to the ER, I came up with some things that helped me get my liquids, because Water always made me feel sick. I did Decaf unsweetened iced tea, Crystal Light lemonade (0 sugar) and Powerade Zero (no sugar or calories). Also, when water finally went down okay, I found that the only way I could drink it without feeling sick was to pour it in a glass and add a ton of ice. For me, then and now (11 months post op), it has to be ice cold.
Take good care of yourself and experiment with different liquids and broths.

Thank you for all of the information. When I went into the er Saturday I don’t think I have even been hooked up so fast. They rushed 5 bags of fluids into be because I was so dehydrated. Unfortunately I am still here because it hurts so much to drink anything when it hits my sleeve.
Did you ever tried the Isopure Protein it is pretty good. The orange is my favorite because it doesn’t have an over powering flavor like most. I also bought genpro I haven’t tried it but it is suppose to be tasteless and you can add it to any drink.

I'm interested to know what the symptoms of dehydration are with the sleeve.

For me personally I had severe dry mouth. I completely felt blah. And every time I got up I was extremely light headed and thought I was going to pass out. Thank god for my boyfriend he has been a saint through all of this because I’m sure I wasn’t the easiest person to get along with lol. When I was trying to get ready to go to the hospital Saturday I got up walked to my room and I became super light headed and my world started spinning. I had to sit down immediately because I knew it wasn’t going to be good. Ever since I have had the iv fluids going I have felt a world of difference. I hope this helps. :)

2 hours ago, Excitedforthesleeve said:

Thank you for all of the information. When I went into the er Saturday I don’t think I have even been hooked up so fast. They rushed 5 bags of fluids into be because I was so dehydrated. Unfortunately I am still here because it hurts so much to drink anything when it hits my sleeve.
Did you ever tried the Isopure Protein it is pretty good. The orange is my favorite because it doesn’t have an over powering flavor like most. I also bought genpro I haven’t tried it but it is suppose to be tasteless and you can add it to any drink.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in the hospital, hopefully you will be feeling better soon and you can go home.

Yes, I used the non-flavored Isopure Protein and found that it worked best in my Decaf iced tea. It really helped me get that protein in the very early months following surgery.

Feel better soon!