Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Open to be a mentor

23 minutes ago, Cupcak3 said:

Had my surgery Oct 26th. I love hearing positive story's of everyone's life. What was the diet that you stuck to at this time.
When did you start working out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

October 28th. How are you doing so far?

Diet:i stuck with the diet instructions from my surgeon's office. liquids, soft and real food stage. Protein 60-100 grams per day.The goal is not to be dependant on shakes for nutrition. Learning to eat healthy real food was eye opening. I found I love to cook again.

Exercise:Check with your Dr. Google exercise and activities to try out. You never know what you will find enjoyable. You may have to push yourself to workout. But, you will never regret day's that you pushed through and did this for yourself. It gets easier as you make exercise a habit.

I was up walking the day after surgery. It helps with the healing process. Took it slow and built up as I healed from surgery. My surgeons office had patients sign an agreement before surgery. It was a commitment to a half hour to an hour of exercise. Starting out some patients workedout two 15 min sessions a day. then built up to a full hour

Exercise replaced my stress/emotional eating. I was a couch potato before surgery. I would have never guessed I liked working out or how far I could take this as an old fart...lol

I think I'm doing well 24 lbs down since pre-op diet. I get tired of eating the same things over and over, but I get through it. Made some vegetable Soup everything was just talking apart. It was delish. I really can't wait to use my air fryer again. Bout it for pre-op diet and fell in love.

2 minutes ago, Cupcak3 said:

I think I'm doing well 24 lbs down since pre-op diet. I get tired of eating the same things over and over, but I get through it. Made some vegetable Soup everything was just talking apart. It was delish. I really can't wait to use my air fryer again. Bout it for pre-op diet and fell in love.

Awesome that you are doing well. Glad you enjoyed your soup. Your food choices will get better.lol

Fell in love? Feel free to explain more if want..lol

9 hours ago, jennypenny1998 said:

Is he scared of the changes you will go through? My fiancé didn't have a problem with the surgery, but when my mom had hers done, my dad was a jerk. I think it is because he was scared of the changes my mom was going to go through (physically and mentally) and was becoming jealous. She had surgery years ago, and he still is like that. You don't need the added stress of your situation, so maybe explaining to him exactly why you need/ want surgery will help him understand.

No, my husband is just an *ss. He has cancer that he is no longer treating & he just retired and he knows full well why i need the surgery. He believes its just because i dont try. I have been eating healthy & some exercise since i was diagnosed and has had no effect. Ive tried several different diet meds & nothing. Then I almost died from pneumonia in 2015 & have struggled just to walk. He believes its because Im lazy, he doesnt take into account my lungs were shot from the pneumonia & years of smoking. I no longer smoke, but I cant walk very far still. (Im 5’1 & 272lbs) This is the worse my health has ever been & I need the help the sleeve will give me.

Meanwhile, he smokes cigars (not in the house), eats whatever he wants including junk. He golfs pretty much every day and thats it. He keeps telling me that I need to get healthy then turns around & starts being a butt

13 hours ago, TexasTracy said:

No, my husband is just an *ss. He has cancer that he is no longer treating & he just retired and he knows full well why i need the surgery. He believes its just because i dont try. I have been eating healthy & some exercise since i was diagnosed and has had no effect. Ive tried several different diet meds & nothing. Then I almost died from pneumonia in 2015 & have struggled just to walk. He believes its because Im lazy, he doesnt take into account my lungs were shot from the pneumonia & years of smoking. I no longer smoke, but I cant walk very far still. (Im 5’1 & 272lbs) This is the worse my health has ever been & I need the help the sleeve will give me.

Meanwhile, he smokes cigars (not in the house), eats whatever he wants including junk. He golfs pretty much every day and thats it. He keeps telling me that I need to get healthy then turns around & starts being a butt

Just focus on you and tune the negativity out. This site has been a great support system and we are all rooting for you! This surgery will only make you stronger. Your surgery date is pretty soon so you are almost there. I started seeing the benefits of the sleeve as soon as I got home and I hope that you do too. I wasn't able to walk very much due to being overweight and having asthma but now I can walk and jog without getting tired. We all know you are not lazy. Getting this surgery done takes a lot of work and time! Do what is best for you and focus on bettering yourself. And when he sees you improving, maybe it will push him to improve too. And if not, just enjoy your new healthy lifestyle without him!

14 hours ago, TexasTracy said:

You are not lazy. You're not alone with your struggle with weight loss attempts of the past.. This is about getting your health and life back.

I don't bang my head against the wall trying to change the minds of negative people. You have no control of his attitude or behavior. Doing all this, shows you are strong enough to do this on your own. you deserve to enjoy this process. Surround yourself with positive people.

The only validation you need in life comes from within. Make no apology for taking care of yourself.

Does your office have a local support group?

Have you had a good fall of the wagon struggle after your surgery? I’m two and a half years out. Best shape of my life. I go to the gym 5 days a week- cardio and weights. I recently had plastics done too. My problem right now is giving into my temptations everyday. It’s been so bad lately. Today I ate like 2 king size candy bars and a piece of cake. It’s like I’ve lost control over my eating again.

The only way I've ever been able to get off sugar is to cut out all simple carbs at the same time. Anything with a high glycemic index goes. That includes rice, Pasta, bread, ALL fruit, potatoes, carrots, etc. I've done this a few times over the years and it works like a charm every time. I have three days of cravings and then candy doesn't appeal to me at all. Later I can add some simple carbs back in, with meals that will slow their absorption.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm looking for a mentor. My surgery is next Tuesday, Dec 5th. Had Lapband 6 years ago, lost 50 lbs. Stalled and never got out of it. I slowly started gaining the weight back. Doctor NEVER gave me a fill in the band. I was very frustrated. Started back with a different doctor 18 months ago, he filled it too much and after 6 months the band slipped and I had a blockage. I had loss 40 lbs last year but when I had severe pain and in January had to get the lapband removed, my recovery was horrible - 3 months and I don't think I've ever got my strength completely back. Went back to my old doctor for the Sleeve on July 29th to start the process. Original surgery date was Nov 7th but had to cancel due to events I was heading up. I'm doing this for ME. Last time I did it for "all of the above" and my husband told me he would be a support. I told him then, if he can't support me, tell me now. He did, but he's so overweight with no will power and just cannot stick to any diet plan. I felt so alone with no support. So I'm going into this knowing he won't be my support, although I'm getting that message from him now I know I cannot rely on it. So that's why I need a mentor. I got severe plantar fasicitus and couldn't walk without pain and couldn't do anything at the health club. Still not 100% well plus I had a serious back injury with a broken back 9 years ago. Going off Celebrex and Ibuprofen before surgery in Nov. was very painful and now I off of it again. I have felt like an very old woman lately. Getting on a pre-op diet has been difficult with my husband. I do well for a few days and then not. He is always forgetting about my diet. UGH!

So if anyone is having surgery or had surgery, I'm open to anything. Jenn, you are similar to me and although I won't compare, I sure hope I can have the success you have. I'd love to lose 90 lbs in 6 months! I know I cannot do it without exercising. I'll have to start slow with my back and feet and build up.

Thanks so much and for reading!!

Mary

On 11/22/2017 at 0:50 AM, seoddy1127 said:

Hi! What did you do to lose your excess skin? I went from 244 to 149 in 6 months! I lost so fast that my skin can't catch up! Any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-US996 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was 254 I'm 137. I can't afford plastics. My loose skin was not as bad I I thought it would be. I just use Shapewear and clothing to hide it. Can't say enough about investing in a good bra.

Reality is I have I have lose skin. bat wings, my mid section hangs below the crease of my upper legs. Back and bust and butt are saggy.

I lift weights and distance run. The muscle I have built fills in the loose skin. Plastics are the only way I can get rid of it.

b83b4fef10965c7bb4af590866e1bc735c28.jpg

b83bc0edeacf7700f9d13cd41a945678cdad.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mary Stokley Gromer said:

I'm looking for a mentor. My surgery is next Tuesday, Dec 5th. Had Lapband 6 years ago, lost 50 lbs. Stalled and never got out of it. I slowly started gaining the weight back. Doctor NEVER gave me a fill in the band. I was very frustrated. Started back with a different doctor 18 months ago, he filled it too much and after 6 months the band slipped and I had a blockage. I had loss 40 lbs last year but when I had severe pain and in January had to get the lapband removed, my recovery was horrible - 3 months and I don't think I've ever got my strength completely back. Went back to my old doctor for the Sleeve on July 29th to start the process. Original surgery date was Nov 7th but had to cancel due to events I was heading up. I'm doing this for ME. Last time I did it for "all of the above" and my husband told me he would be a support. I told him then, if he can't support me, tell me now. He did, but he's so overweight with no will power and just cannot stick to any diet plan. I felt so alone with no support. So I'm going into this knowing he won't be my support, although I'm getting that message from him now I know I cannot rely on it. So that's why I need a mentor. I got severe plantar fasicitus and couldn't walk without pain and couldn't do anything at the health club. Still not 100% well plus I had a serious back injury with a broken back 9 years ago. Going off Celebrex and Ibuprofen before surgery in Nov. was very painful and now I off of it again. I have felt like an very old woman lately. Getting on a pre-op diet has been difficult with my husband. I do well for a few days and then not. He is always forgetting about my diet. UGH!

So if anyone is having surgery or had surgery, I'm open to anything. Jenn, you are similar to me and although I won't compare, I sure hope I can have the success you have. I'd love to lose 90 lbs in 6 months! I know I cannot do it without exercising. I'll have to start slow with my back and feet and build up.

Thanks so much and for reading!!

Mary

Congrats on your December 5th sugery date. Absolutely do this for yourself and your health.

I hope your sleeve will be a better experience than the band. We are all here to help along the way. You will also find others here that are a revision from band to sleeve.

Question...

Would your husband consider surgery if he is also struggling?

My husband was on state disability almost two years ago. It was bad. All the doctors said he needed to lose 150-200 lbs and wanted him to have surgery. He didn't want that because he thought he could do it on his own. I think he just didn't want it. Then I talked him into it but since he was on State medi-cal, they make people go through a ton of hoops. He say a "diet doctor" who only gave him Phentermine for 3 months and then recommended surgery. Since there's only a few doctors doing this surgery, the wait time for an appointment was 6 more months. By that time he was long off disability and then got a job. He's not working now, again but looks like he will start sometime soon and the company has health benefits. So I'm hoping he will go for it. He's committing to me he will do the diet with me but I just can't believe it. I think he will sneak and cheat. I know that sounds bad but after 20 years of marriage, he has never done a diet on his own, but only with me. If I fall off the wagon, he doesn't pick me up, he falls with me and there it is.

5 minutes ago, Mary Stokley Gromer said:

My husband was on state disability almost two years ago. It was bad. All the doctors said he needed to lose 150-200 lbs and wanted him to have surgery. He didn't want that because he thought he could do it on his own. I think he just didn't want it. Then I talked him into it but since he was on State medi-cal, they make people go through a ton of hoops. He say a "diet doctor" who only gave him Phentermine for 3 months and then recommended surgery. Since there's only a few doctors doing this surgery, the wait time for an appointment was 6 more months. By that time he was long off disability and then got a job. He's not working now, again but looks like he will start sometime soon and the company has health benefits. So I'm hoping he will go for it. He's committing to me he will do the diet with me but I just can't believe it. I think he will sneak and cheat. I know that sounds bad but after 20 years of marriage, he has never done a diet on his own, but only with me. If I fall off the wagon, he doesn't pick me up, he falls with me and there it is.

You already know he has not been successful sticking to a diet. Prepare yourself that he is going to still battle his own issues with weight.

You may have to do this on your own. You are the one that will have to pick yourself up when you slip.