Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginner looking for a buddy

My surgery Is scheduled for Jan 2018. Any advice?

Congrats!!!! I am in the pre-op stage as well I have my psych eval November 7th after that I will visit with my surgeons NP and next the surgeon which is when I will have my date

Sent from my VS990 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the surgery Tuesday. My number one, be patient. I got out of surgery and in my room by 3 pm. I was nauseas, but that is always when I have anesthesia. I was walking the hall by 6 pm. Wednesday morning i felt horrible. I was refusing oral meds because if being so nauseas. My pain med was one of them. Come to realize the pain is what was making me sick. Pain controlled was the difference! Today I feel great! Able to do little things, minimal pain. Also push yourself, but not too far. Baby steps! Good luck!

I had my surgery last Wednesday. I had a bad experience with the nurses at the hospital, so I would definitely say to not let them push their ideas on you and don't make them force anything on you. Staying at the hospital was the worst part for me. The constant beeping of the machines, being checked on every 30 minutes, and the food tasted horrible which discouraged me to try eating (heads up- they told me that I had to consume 40 ounces before I could go home so be prepared because you will definitely not want to eat after surgery). Once I got home, I was able to recover much faster. Don't skip your meds and don't try to eat anything before they give you the go ahead! Hope this helps!

Congrats, so exciting. I’m still in the process of completing my requirements. October 27th is my endoscopy appointment, October 31st I’m scheduled for the psych exam and November 15th is my last physician supervised weight loss program appointment. Praying I can get scheduled sometime in December

Congrats, so exciting. I’m still in the process of completing my requirements. October 27th is my endoscopy appointment, October 31st I’m scheduled for the psych exam and November 15th is my last physician supervised weight loss program appointment. Praying I can get scheduled sometime in December [emoji1431][emoji1431][emoji1431]

I’m excited for you! I’m ready to start the journey. I understand its not easy but Im ready. I had my psych eval last week and it was a little odd. I’m a very upbeat and entertaining person. The questions were a bit strange but the psychiatrist prepares you in ahead of time. My appointment took about 30 min.

Tiffany

I had my surgery last Wednesday. I had a bad experience with the nurses at the hospital, so I would definitely say to not let them push their ideas on you and don't make them force anything on you. Staying at the hospital was the worst part for me. The constant beeping of the machines, being checked on every 30 minutes, and the food tasted horrible which discouraged me to try eating (heads up- they told me that I had to consume 40 ounces before I could go home so be prepared because you will definitely not want to eat after surgery). Once I got home, I was able to recover much faster. Don't skip your meds and don't try to eat anything before they give you the go ahead! Hope this helps!

Thank you soooo much for the advice.

Tiffany

I had the surgery Tuesday. My number one, be patient. I got out of surgery and in my room by 3 pm. I was nauseas, but that is always when I have anesthesia. I was walking the hall by 6 pm. Wednesday morning i felt horrible. I was refusing oral meds because if being so nauseas. My pain med was one of them. Come to realize the pain is what was making me sick. Pain controlled was the difference! Today I feel great! Able to do little things, minimal pain. Also push yourself, but not too far. Baby steps! Good luck!

I hate to hear that happened to you. Thank you for the heads up! I appreciate it. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about nausea.

Tiffany

Congrats!!!! I am in the pre-op stage as well I have my psych eval November 7th after that I will visit with my surgeons NP and next the surgeon which is when I will have my date [emoji120]

Sent from my VS990 using BariatricPal mobile app

My psych eval was very entertaining. The psychiatrist asked me math questions, asked me to say the days of the week backwards, what kind of animal I wanted to be, and if I had three wishes what would I wish for. At first it was funny and then after the days of the week I stopped and asked if she was serious. Then she asked me if I’ve ever been depressed or had suicidal thoughts. The last question was if I had a support system and how they would play a part in my journey. After that she recapped the benefits and possible risks of the surgery. Good luck! I want to hear updates!!!

Tiffany

I’m excited. I don’t know what to expect and I know it will not be easy but the overall health benefits are worth it

I had the opposite experience in the hospital. I had great nurses, great staff. Was pretty comfortable. Having the adjustable bed was great. I was up and walking a few hours after . Gas wasn't horrible but acid was. Overall my hospital experience was great. I had IV medication for nausea and stopped the morphine pretty quickly because it was giving me the shakes and making my teeth chatter. I only took pain meds at home a few days but turns out they bruised my rib so most of my pain was from that. Good luck! What else do you want to know??

I had an amazing hospital experience. Everyone was kind. I do not have a reaction to anesthesia so there was no vomiting. I was up and walking once the anesthesia wore off. That’s probably my advice. Get up and walk if you can. It helps with pain, gas and prevents blood clots. You’re not going to want to eat or drink much. Depending on your doctor they make make you stay until you can keep down “full liquids” like milk, Protein Shakes and Jello. My surgery was on a Friday at 7:30am. I was home by 1pm Saturday. Bring your earphones, and maybe a sleeping mask. (My hospital provided me with one, and it was a life saver, but I realize not everywhere does that so u might want to get your own) also my advice is take the stool softeners they prescribe. You will save yourself a boat load of trouble. I have heard some horror stories.