Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to get solid protein down after 3 months post op

Duodenal Switch, 3 Months Post Op. Never hungry. Need to get in 90 grams of Protein. Can't seem to do it. After a few bits, feel nauseous and don't want to eat anymore. Tried different Protein Shakes, also hard to get down. My best friends are the so called "slippery" foods, yogurt, yogurt, yogurt and cottage cheese. Help! How can I get solid protein down?

38 minutes ago, BonsW said:

Duodenal Switch, 3 Months Post Op. Never hungry. Need to get in 90 grams of Protein. Can't seem to do it. After a few bits, feel nauseous and don't want to eat anymore. Tried different Protein Shakes, also hard to get down. My best friends are the so called "slippery" foods, yogurt, yogurt, yogurt and cottage cheese. Help! How can I get solid Protein down?

Try different Protein Drinks. powder and premixed. It took me a few tries to get one that my stomach could tolerate. Try different temperatures as well. Warmed might be better than cold. Solid protein takes a bit to get used to. You have to over chew. Like seriously, chew until it’s a paste in your mouth. Medium rare steak well chewed will be easier than ground beef. I don’t know why but trust me. chicken might take a while. My local grocery store has a yummy chicken salad. Lots of mayo!! Btw 90 grams of protein is a minimum for DS. You can’t get too much.

Stay hydrated, include plenty of fat and don’t skimp on the protein. I love Avocados!

You may want to incorporate Protein Bars as a supplement, instead of Protein Shakes. At around 3 months post-op RNY gastric bypass, I switched over to using these. I used Quest Protein bars. These bars were good in that they had high protein, minimal sugar and also contained Fiber. They also came in a lot of different flavors. A Quest Protein Bar contains around 220 calories and provides 21 grams of protein. A Muscle Milk Light Protein Shake [2 scoops of powder in a 16 ounce glass] contains 210 calories and provides 25 grams of protein. So they are comparable.

Also your food volume may be great enough now that you can start to derive your required protein from your meals. I provided some recipes at the end of the following article. I relied heavily on soft foods such as chili and Soups to get in my protein. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf They went down much easier than harder foods such as steak and chicken and also had more flavor.

I have a baked eggs Florentine recipe that I'm hoping will work well after surgery; maybe something like that would work for you? I plan on eggs being a good source of Protein.

39 minutes ago, Starsmore said:

I have a baked eggs Florentine recipe that I'm hoping will work well after surgery; maybe something like that would work for you? I plan on eggs being a good source of Protein.

You will likely find eggs difficult to eat for the first three to six months at least. Some people can’t eat them at all after surgery. Just a heads up.

1 hour ago, dsdesigna said:

You will likely find eggs difficult to eat for the first three to six months at least. Some people can’t eat them at call after surgery. Just a heads up.

Is that what you've found to be true for yourself? Thats a bummer for sure, but on this side of surgery, I'm going to hope for the best. :)

I mix my powder Protein choc or vanil with Decaf expression hot Water a little ice and blend for a mocha latte or vanilla latte. Delish and cheaper than Starbucks. I like BariWise and WonderSlim. Also I make chocolate sugar free pudding with premade choc Protein Shake instead of milk for the extra protein. Taste and consistency doesn't change. I add a spoonful of nutiwhip lite and I've got mousse. Delish!