Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SIPS Procedure 5 Years After VSG

Not sure if anyone else has gone through this... I was sleeved 5 years ago, and I lost about 110lbs. About 3 years ago, however, I was prescribed Norco for chronic back problems, and since then, I've put all my weight back on. Now I'm about to have the SIPS procedure (similar to a DS), and I'm wondering what to expect from this process without having a fresh sleeve. My stomach has certainly stretched a bit, and it doesn't hurt to overeat. My surgeon has confirmed that I won't be resleeved.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who's gone through this who may be able to give me a little insight.

Also, if I'm posting in the wrong place or if you know of a thread that might help me, I'd greatly appreciate the guidance. This is my first time visiting this forum, so I'm a little lost.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about the regain. I hear good things about SIPS, though. (I am 7 months postop with a sleeve).

In general, revisions don't pack the same punch as a virgin procedure, so you may notice slower weight loss than last time. But if you stick to your program, it'll come off.

I had the opportunity to speak with a DS patient who was 5 years out of surgery. She had lost 1/2 her excess weight, then stopped losing for a couple years. She was following the plan, but didn't understand why the weight loss stopped.

An external influence came along, and got her to count her calories. She was eating over 2500 calories in meat, fat, and veggies. Too many calories! So she cut them down, and started losing again. Hit goal less than a year later.

These surgeries work (partly.. and I daresay mostly) because we eat so few calories postop. The couple instances I've heard where the patient ate maintenance-level calories right after surgery... the patients didn't lose any weight!

Hopefully someone with a SIPS will be along soon.

Good luck!

I had SIPs in July and have been really happy so far. The recovery period is no fun but I'm down 50 lbs in 3 months and generally feeling really good and loads of energy. This was my first procedure I've ever done though so not exactly the same boat.

In general I think we get fewer negative symptoms as traditional DSers particularly when it comes to digestive issues. My stools are soft but nothing crazy, I don't have major flatulence, and I only poop once a day. My stomach makes gurgly noises a lot but it's not uncomfortable. I am able to eat about 2-3 oz of Protein + a bite or 2 of veggies at any given meal at 3 months out but some things are easier than others - typically the more moist the protein is, the better. So for more that means a lot of fish, ground turkey, ground beef, & cheese, and less of things like chicken breast or steak. I still enjoy those things on occasion but I get uncomfortable way more quickly.

The weirdest thing for me is the new sensation of fullness - I don't feel anything in my stomach but it feels like things get "stuck" in my esophagus and it goes from feeling fine to NOT feeling fine really quickly, so it's been a lot of learning what works and what doesn't, and everybody is different. Don't drink anything for 30 minutes before or after meals because that feeling will come on a lot faster if you do and it will make it harder to get in your protein. The discomfort certainly doesn't make me throw up or anything like that but it isn't pleasant. Thankfully it doesn't last long.

I've had alcohol a few times since the surgery and my tolerance is definitely much lower - I usually stick to a glass of wine. More than a glass, especially if I don't sip it slowly, and it's the same effect that 4 glasses would have on me pre-surgery! I can't have any carbonated beverages because the bubbles make me super uncomfortable, which is a bummer because I really miss Diet Coke (I know, I know.)

I don't really experience a ton of hunger, which is new for me especially as I have a hormonal condition called PCOS (which the surgery also has a positive impact on) that was giving me crazy hunger attacks all the time pre-surgery. I had some cravings during the liquids only post-op stage but it was really just because I wanted to CHEW something.

All in all I couldn't be happier. Some weeks I lose more than others but the scale is going in the right direction and I have a ton of energy, have gone down three sizes, and don't feel like my lifestyle has been negatively impacted by the new routine. I've just adjusted to it.

Best of luck!

Well, I had the procedure on Tuesday. Woke up in the ICU so they could monitor bleeding issues. Pain was pretty intense when I woke up. They had me stay an extra night in the hospital, but eventually moved me to a regular room once i pooped and had a positive upper GI xray.

I'm back on a clear liquid diet for the next couple weeks, then it's into full liquids. Christmas is gonna be a pain in the ass.

Since I wasn't resleeved, and can't find many people who have had SIPS as a revision to VSG, so I'll try to post my experience here.

Day 2 post op... 6 incisions, painful shoulder gas, hurts to stand, get a little nauseous and tired when walking... but I'm doing it . 6'2" 354lbs going into surgery. 356 today, but I think that's normal. The drop should start in a day or two.

I'm currently coughing and hicupping a lot, which hurts like hell. Also, I wasn't given pain meds (for reasons listed above).

I'll post more as it happens.

I am having SIPS on Monday the 11th. Also thru NW but out at Central Dupage with Vallina. There are a few SIPS after sleeve in the DS Forum. Thats where I posted first.

Trying not to read too much on the internet to freak myself out over this. I tried to do it in Jan but he had to stop due to a fatty liver....

Keep me updated how you're doing.

Good luck with your procedure! Had you been sleeved already? Or is this your first wls?

First one! I got clearance from my pcp yesterday so I should hopefully be a go!

Checking in to see how you both are doing. I had my surgery 12/11 and doing surprisingly well. Honestly feel pretty normal 2-1/2 weeks out.

Im losing about a pound a day and I’m off insulin and all my diabetic drugs

update me please!

On 12/6/2017 at 11:58 PM, Fat Brando said:

Good luck with your procedure! Had you been sleeved already? Or is this your first wls?

On 10/19/2017 at 12:19 AM, ebroms17 said:

I had SIPs in July and have been really happy so far. The recovery period is no fun but I'm down 50 lbs in 3 months and generally feeling really good and loads of energy. This was my first procedure I've ever done though so not exactly the same boat.

In general I think we get fewer negative symptoms as traditional DSers particularly when it comes to digestive issues. My stools are soft but nothing crazy, I don't have major flatulence, and I only poop once a day. My stomach makes gurgly noises a lot but it's not uncomfortable. I am able to eat about 2-3 oz of Protein + a bite or 2 of veggies at any given meal at 3 months out but some things are easier than others - typically the more moist the Protein is, the better. So for more that means a lot of fish, ground turkey, ground beef, & cheese, and less of things like chicken breast or steak. I still enjoy those things on occasion but I get uncomfortable way more quickly.

The weirdest thing for me is the new sensation of fullness - I don't feel anything in my stomach but it feels like things get "stuck" in my esophagus and it goes from feeling fine to NOT feeling fine really quickly, so it's been a lot of learning what works and what doesn't, and everybody is different. Don't drink anything for 30 minutes before or after meals because that feeling will come on a lot faster if you do and it will make it harder to get in your protein. The discomfort certainly doesn't make me throw up or anything like that but it isn't pleasant. Thankfully it doesn't last long.

I've had alcohol a few times since the surgery and my tolerance is definitely much lower - I usually stick to a glass of wine. More than a glass, especially if I don't sip it slowly, and it's the same effect that 4 glasses would have on me pre-surgery! I can't have any carbonated beverages because the bubbles make me super uncomfortable, which is a bummer because I really miss Diet Coke (I know, I know.)

I don't really experience a ton of hunger, which is new for me especially as I have a hormonal condition called PCOS (which the surgery also has a positive impact on) that was giving me crazy hunger attacks all the time pre-surgery. I had some cravings during the liquids only post-op stage but it was really just because I wanted to CHEW something.

All in all I couldn't be happier. Some weeks I lose more than others but the scale is going in the right direction and I have a ton of energy, have gone down three sizes, and don't feel like my lifestyle has been negatively impacted by the new routine. I've just adjusted to it.

Best of luck!

How are you guys doing?

On Tuesday, December 05, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Suwade said:

I am having SIPS on Monday the 11th. Also thru NW but out at Central Dupage with Vallina. There are a few SIPS after sleeve in the DS Forum. Thats where I posted first.

Trying not to read too much on the internet to freak myself out over this. I tried to do it in Jan but he had to stop due to a fatty liver....

Keep me updated how you're doing.

Hey! Getting SIPS in March(previous vsg)! Jus wondering, i said u had fatty liver initially...was it non-alcoholic?, and how did they find out u had it? And how are u doing now? Are u losing much with the SIPS?

Yes non alcoholic fatty liver. My enzymes had been slightly elevated but it didn’t raise a flag. I went in for the surgery in Jan 2017 and my liver was too enlarged to do the surgery. Got clearance from a liver doc that it was fatty liver and nothing else. Had to lose 30# to try again

very pleased so far. Lost a total of 70# since last Jan. 40# since surgery. My diabetes is gone and I was a pump user. Also bp was 120/58. I had my 6 week check up yesterday.

Hope this helps! So glad I did this. All the positives of the sleeve and bypass without the bad from them.

Good luck!