Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op practical jokes

wjgo

Fun to think about.. but one of those things you don't actually DO. The problem, of course, being if you WERE to ever develop a terminal illness, they then wouldn't believe you.

So... stick with your bestest friend da med'cine ball....

So, um, yeah. Resident buzz kill here...as someone who has had a near-terminal (stage 3C out of 4) cancer. I had less than a 50% chance of living 5 years. It's devastating news to anyone who knows, cares or loves you. It would not go over as funny. You would have lots of anger to deal with and trust issues to deal with from here on out. For 5 years my family have worried I would recur in stage 4 and die.

Edited by FluffyChix

THIS WILL BE EPIC
April 1st is on a Sunday in 2018, about 3 months after my anticipated surgery.

My mom will schedule a family picnic in early March for that day. I never pranked them hard, so they will expect nothing from her. And say there will be family news.

There, we will break the news that my weight loss is linked to some terrible cancer or disease. I have really been exercising to get my mind off of it, and because what I look like in 6 months, will probably what I will look like in my casket. My medicine ball was just a way to cope with my disease. And probably will not be walking in 12 months, maybe gone or bed ridden in 18.

I will do this while they see me come walking in, with a walker.

My parents will have to either cry at the news, or leave the room if they can't fake it.

At some point I'll have to break the joke, but not after I tell my brother at some point I'll need him to have the courage to help me in an assisted suicide.

My sister in law wants a dog. So I'll ask her if shell promise to take care of my Terrier sometime next year when I can no longer play with him.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

When I had my EDG done, I was told I had stage 2 Barrett's disease, I told my parents who automatically assumed I have stage 2 esophageal cancer. At that moment I decided that is what I am telling people, because when I mentioned to some that I am considering bariatric surgery I got the "Oh your taking the easy way out huh?" and they all make me feel horrible. ALL of them are in great shape and do not have a weight problem, and I didn't either until I got kidney cancer.

So, I told my parents that I am having the section of my esophagus removed and a portion of my stomach to keep any cancer from spreading. which is true, but I have Barrett's not cancer. (though I was told if I do not I can get cancer since I have had cancer elsewhere) Amazing attitude transformation about my surgery. My father has Barrett's, and takes meds it. at first he was skepticam until I mentioned the big C, now he is all for the surgery, when 2 months ago he thought I was being lazy.

I will never reveal it, but your idea makes me really chuckle. you can use this idea too if you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

@StateofNV I'm so sorry you have unsupportive family. ((hugs)) That really sucks. But I'm very sad you have to tell a lie that has such gravity attached to it, especially following your own bout with cancer.

My experience with cancer is that there would not be a waiting period of 3-6 months even at stage II. You would immediately be taken into treatment and maybe chemo? I haven't looked at the chemo situation with Barretts. If your father also has Barrett's, then most likely he will ask his GI doc about it at the next opportunity. I think your lie will be found out and my worry is that you will lose respect and veracity from your family.

IMHO, you shouldn't base your future on a lie.

Edited by FluffyChix

Well, there is already a high degree of anger and mistrust in my family anyway. No matter what I do they will be skeptical.

It won't matter, my mother won't play along and thinks it's cruel also. So I'll work on another plan.

I wouldn’t joke around about OCD or bulimia. Not to be a buzz kill...but that’s really insensitive.

Maybe instead of playing a joke on your family that’s fueled by resentment, you could reach out to them and get encouragement and support as they are “ultra fit.”

Bypass: 9/1/17

HW: 262

SW: 258

CW: 205

GW: 160

What kind of joke is pretending to be sick ? Do people pretend to have cancer ? Or is that not allowed but mental illness is okay. I love a good joke. But making someone genuinly concerned isn't funny. You just sound like an attention seeker. I wonder how many people will be laughing if you came here saying your going to pretend you had cancer.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Holy **** I didn't get to the end. She wants to pretend she has cancer actually this is f+++ up you need help

[mention=329785]StateofNV[/mention] I'm so sorry you have unsupportive family. ((hugs)) That really sucks. But I'm very sad you have to tell a lie that has such gravity attached to it, especially following your own bout with cancer.
My experience with cancer is that there would not be a waiting period of 3-6 months even at stage II. You would immediately be taken into treatment and maybe chemo? I haven't looked at the chemo situation with Barretts. If your father also has Barrett's, then most likely he will ask his GI doc about it at the next opportunity. I think your lie will be found out and my worry is that you will lose respect and veracity from your family.
IMHO, you shouldn't base your future on a lie.

Her family will find out one day. But she must not mind the fact the parents will never believe her again. And she will lose all respect. But she must not mind and find it worth it.

Man I should have thought of doing something like this lol

I honestly think the simpler the better. As stated previously, just flat out deny you lost any weight.

I know my in-laws and brother, better, than any of you!

Anyway, I'm having to post pone the prank.

I don't know how long I could last denying any weight loss. They'll start seeking explanations.