Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all! So I'll be a month out surgery on the 19th and I'm unable to eat! Everything I eat literally give me a stomach and I'm running to the bathroom! I'm serious drained I practically live in the bathroom and is frustrating! I was told to stop all diary because I was feel horrible after consuming my Protein Shake, or a piece of cheese even yogurt! Has anyone experienced this? I don't know what else to eat/do! I'm starting to worry myself that I'm going to get malnourished and sick because I'm no having my protein! My weight is still the same as of last WK 237! I'm taking my pills and drinking my Water but I'm feeling hopeless! Your inputs are greatly appreciate!

Ok first off congratulations on your surgery! I had the runs for a bit too. It got a bit better once solids came into the picture. I was lactose intolerant before surgery and its not any better but what i found that helped was leaving it out. I can still consume small amounts but I'll still get sick if i consume small amounts over several days. It builds up into this huge horrible bathroom nightmare. Or LITERALLY one Greek yogurt will send me spiraling into horrible cramps and diarrea. Any time that happened i knew id have to lay off the dairy. I substituted with soy or almond milk. I'd get unsweetened soy milk. It has 7g of Protein per 8oz i believe. Almond milk tastes a bit better but only has 1g for the same amount. I'd heard of nut milks with 10g of protein but i haven't looked for them. Also try a vegan Protein Powder. I think Unjury is vegan? Correct me if I'm wrong. I had the chocolate one given to me and it was like drinking a chocolate yoohoo. Definitely leave the dairy alone. Ive been doing fine on almost none. Give your body a few days to come around. If your THAT lactose intolerant it'll take a few days maybe for your system to get back to normal (i only say that cause any time things like you explained happened to me, it was from dairy and took about a good week or 2 for me to feel normal again).But it'll only happen if you eliminate the dairy. I am only speaking from experience. But also check in with your surgeon. It sounds like your having a rough time. I feel for you hon. I hope things get better soon.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

Dairy is off limits postop for lots of people. You will have to think of it like an allergy. It may not be this way forever, but for now...

You can get Protein from:

broths, (slow simmered homemade or store bought bone broth..read labels)

Dairy free milks (after things settle, you can try lactose free milk to see if it is lactose or all of dairy that is the problem)

Refried Beans thinned with broth

eggs

Vegan or egg-based Protein Shakes

Contact your doc to see if they have other suggestions.

Good luck!

Use unsweetened Almond Milk for your dairy and lactose free cottage cheese . There's 2 big things that can help u out. Almond milk tastes better in Protein Shakes imo

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Dairy is off limits postop for lots of people. You will have to think of it like an allergy. It may not be this way forever, but for now...
You can get Protein from:
broths, (slow simmered homemade or store bought bone broth..read labels)
Dairy free milks (after things settle, you can try lactose free milk to see if it is lactose or all of dairy that is the problem)
Refried Beans thinned with broth
Eggs
Vegan or egg-based protein shakes
Contact your doc to see if they have other suggestions.
Good luck!

Thank you very much very helpful! I was at a point of regret to be honest! I mean after the surgery I understood the love I have for food! That now that I'm unable to have none I'm doubting myself! I even have recipes of my old time favorite foods that I have twek to a healthy way and I can't get it as why I can't enjoy my food now that I'm on solid.

For example today I tired to have some fish sticks (3) with 11g of protein I made it into a gyro style spinach, thin sliced red onions, tomatoes and as the tarter sauce plain Greek yogurt with pickles! And I used 1/4 of a whole wheat wrap! Took 3 bits and 1 I was full, and 2 got the only cramping stomachache! Does it sound like I'm moving to fast in my foods? I just don't get it!

Use unsweetened Almond Milk for your dairy and lactose free cottage cheese . There's 2 big things that can help u out. Almond milk tastes better in Protein Shakes imo

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank a for the feed back but for some reason my nutritionist said something about Almond milk not being good and not having an ideal amount of protein! I actually like almond milk! I also loveeeeeee cheese! But for not I guess I will have to break up!

Ok first off congratulations on your surgery! I had the runs for a bit too. It got a bit better once solids came into the picture. I was lactose intolerant before surgery and its not any better but what i found that helped was leaving it out. I can still consume small amounts but I'll still get sick if i consume small amounts over several days. It builds up into this huge horrible bathroom nightmare. Or LITERALLY one Greek yogurt will send me spiraling into horrible cramps and diarrea. Any time that happened i knew id have to lay off the dairy. I substituted with soy or almond milk. I'd get unsweetened soy milk. It has 7g of Protein per 8oz i believe. Almond milk tastes a bit better but only has 1g for the same amount. I'd heard of nut milks with 10g of protein but i haven't looked for them. Also try a vegan protein powder. I think Unjury is vegan? Correct me if I'm wrong. I had the chocolate one given to me and it was like drinking a chocolate yoohoo. Definitely leave the dairy alone. Ive been doing fine on almost none. Give your body a few days to come around. If your THAT lactose intolerant it'll take a few days maybe for your system to get back to normal (i only say that cause any time things like you explained happened to me, it was from dairy and took about a good week or 2 for me to feel normal again).But it'll only happen if you eliminate the dairy. I am only speaking from experience. But also check in with your surgeon. It sounds like your having a rough time. I feel for you hon. I hope things get better soon.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

It's unbelievable to me how in 1 day your life can change in a blink of an eye! I know is for my best but, it's a little overwhelming to know the ways to get your protein and the nutrients one needs but you'll unable to eat them as you please without having pain or a bad case of runs! Lol! I do pray this gets better because it's pretty scary knowing your are not eating as you should!

Thank you very much very helpful! I was at a point of regret to be honest! I mean after the surgery I understood the love I have for food! That now that I'm unable to have none I'm doubting myself! I even have recipes of my old time favorite foods that I have twek to a healthy way and I can't get it as why I can't enjoy my food now that I'm on solid.

For example today I tired to have some fish sticks (3) with 11g of Protein I made it into a gyro style spinach, thin sliced red onions, tomatoes and as the tarter sauce plain Greek yogurt with pickles! And I used 1/4 of a whole wheat wrap! Took 3 bits and 1 I was full, and 2 got the only cramping stomachache! Does it sound like I'm moving to fast in my foods? I just don't get it!

I'm not an expert but that sounds like it's quite a jump ahead. Raw veggies are much harder on the stomach for quite a while. If the fish sticks were fried, that might not sit well. Maybe dial back to a little more basic would help?

I've been mildly lactose intolerant always , usually just milk though not dairy. I had the runs a few times after soft cheese. I think the body just needs significant time to adapt. I use all almond milk in my shakes.

Keep at it. Add only one new thing at a time, just like when babies start eating.

I'm guess we all have a love of food with so many different reasons, otherwise, we probably wouldn't be here [emoji12]

I am having a hard day today as well. My depression has flared up and all I want to do is eat and I can't. Like you said, I know this surgery is for the best and had to be done but I miss food.< br>

I agree with Karen. Way too much, too soon. Raw veggies should wait at least another month.

I wasn't sure where you are on your meal progression. But if you are eating fish, then you just open a can of tuna or boil or steam some delicate white type fish, and eat some of that. It's normal to get full on just a few bites. You can try a spoonful of Mayonnaise or lemon juice in it, but that should be all at first. recipes should be put away for a while yet.

I'm almost 7 months out and can eat the gyro you described (the onions probably wouldn't sit well for me), but it takes a long time to get to that point.

I'm not an expert but that sounds like it's quite a jump ahead. Raw veggies are much harder on the stomach for quite a while. If the fish sticks were fried, that might not sit well. Maybe dial back to a little more basic would help?

I've been mildly lactose intolerant always , usually just milk though not dairy. I had the runs a few times after soft cheese. I think the body just needs significant time to adapt. I use all almond milk in my shakes.

Keep at it. Add only one new thing at a time, just like when babies start eating.

I'm guess we all have a love of food with so many different reasons, otherwise, we probably wouldn't be here [emoji12]

I understand! And no the fish sticks where baked! Even before surgery fried food doesn't sit well with my stomach! I have a very sensitive stomach.

I am having a hard day today as well. My depression has flared up and all I want to do is eat and I can't. Like you said, I know this surgery is for the best and had to be done but I miss food.< br>

Sorry to hear about your depression but hang in there buddy your doing awesome we in this for a reason! Yes we love food but now we have to love it differently! Well sure pass this!

I agree with Karen. Way too much, too soon. Raw veggies should wait at least another month.
I wasn't sure where you are on your meal progression. But if you are eating fish, then you just open a can of tuna or boil or steam some delicate white type fish, and eat some of that. It's normal to get full on just a few bites. You can try a spoonful of Mayonnaise or lemon juice in it, but that should be all at first. recipes should be put away for a while yet.
I'm almost 7 months out and can eat the gyro you described (the onions probably wouldn't sit well for me), but it takes a long time to get to that point.

I understand, The fish sticks where not fried they where baked, I guess looking at it from the outside it does sound like a bit much for my new stomach! I guess I'm so scared of not eating my Protein and getting myself sick, that I'm rushing to eating things that my stomach may not be ready for!

On another note my mom made me a very hearty consomé, with chicken bones celery, carrots, and all those other good stuff, and boy let me tell you that was one good picker upper! That lift me up I felt renew! [emoji5]