Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from Lap-Band to Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass

I had a revision from Lap-Band to Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass on September 25, 2017. I had the Lap-Band surgery in 2009 and at first it was successful. Over time I begin to have issues with my band causing severe reflux and I battled pneumonia and bronchitis on a regular basis. I was told I was aspirating into my lungs because of my Lap-Band. If I removed part or most of the fill it would get better but every time I tried to utilize the band the problems would start back up. I developed several health issues that we felt were all related to the lap band.

I finally was tired of worrying about what my Lap-Band was doing to me and made the decision to have it removed and Gastric Bypass done. After I completed all my test and 6 months of visits I was finally able to have the surgery 3 weeks ago. I no longer have reflux or issues shallowing like I did before. I was excited to be able to take a pill without feeling like it was stuck. The Lap-Band was removed during the same surgery as the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass was done. I was off work 1 week, returning to work with restrictions on October 2nd and completed released no restrictions on October 11th. I am finally able to eat some food and after 3 weeks of shakes I was ready to taste anything. I am excited to start this journey. I am currently down 25 lbs and very excited to start this process!

CONGRATULATIONS on your surgery and best wishes on your journey! You're ahead of me with your wt. loss, I hit a stall at 3 weeks that I've yet to get past :( but am encouraged in that my clothes are getting quite a bit looser :). Thank you for sharing, my reflux is completely gone too, praise the Lord! I never thought about it being possibly from my prior Lapband too.

Congratulations on your surgery and let us know if we can be of any help.

I had my band removed last December. I’m prepping to do roux en y but am having difficulty losing weight. I feel like I need to eat everything like I’m never going to be able to eat again. I was wondering how the feeling of “fullness” compares between the band and bypass. For me, I always felt full in my throat and not my stomach with the band.

I had my band removed last December. I’m prepping to do roux en y but am having difficulty losing weight. I feel like I need to eat everything like I’m never going to be able to eat again. I was wondering how the feeling of “fullness” compares between the band and bypass. For me, I always felt full in my throat and not my stomach with the band.

I just had revision from lap band to gastric bypass, only about 48 hrs out right now and one thing that really surprised me was how much more intense this surgery was then the lap band I’ve been in a good amount of pain.. think I got sent home a little to soon.. but I am having no desire to eat anything right now, basically having to force myself to get liquids down right now haven’t felt the pouch become “full” yet probably will when I switch to stage two foods, but I had the same feeling of being full in my throat with lap band too so be interesting to see how this feels. Good luck with everything!

I always felt like food was stuck in my throat after the lap band. It was very difficult to shallow pills. I no longer have problems swallowing pills at all which is great! it has been a month since my surgery and I have had no problems. I went back to work one week after the surgery and actually attended my son's football game the day after my surgery. Most of the pain I had was gas pains after the surgery. The more I walked the less pain I felt. I was walking several laps every hour around the hospital halls. My weight loss has seemed to stall but I have to confess I have not done a lot of cardio like I should be doing. I plan to start back with a personal trainer next week so maybe I will get more dedicated with that.

The first 2 weeks I was never hungry and would rather have just not eat as to drink another shakes but I managed to get through them. I was never hungry, the Protein probably helped me with that. Now I do get hungry and want to eat. I don't really feel the full sensation I thought I would feel but if I eat one bite to many I will get a sudden pain in my chest. So I have to really measure what I eat. I would rather have it this way then the constant feeling of something stuck in my throat. I would get sick a lot with the lap band but with bypass I have only had a couple instances where I felt sick. I mostly eat fish and chicken right now. Trying to get as much protein in as I can without having to drink a shake.

So far my experience with bypass has been great! No reflux, no constant feeling of something stuck in my throat, and no constant vomiting. I am glad I decided to do the revision from lap band to bypass!

I just had a revision from lap band to gastric bypass on Monday I had my lap band removed in 2014 and had issues with it as well.. my band did slip and caused scaring in the area and always had food stuck in my throat and vomiting all the time even with Water. So far I am not hungry at all and tried some pudding today and can’t really tel if I’m getting full or not, but since I’m not hungry I’m just eating what they want me to get in.. I did jump on the scale when I got home and am still the same weigh as when I went in.. I know some of that has to be fluids.. but just curious what your loss is at this point?

I actually gained 8 pounds in the hospital from fluids. It seems like the first week was just losing it. I am 1 month out and have lost around 28 pounds. This past week I haven't lost anything which is frustrating.

It really varies on different people as far as their wt. loss (& MANY things factor in, of course). Mine is slow: not counting the 9 pounds in Fluid I gained from IV's in the hospital, and I hit a stall at 3 weeks post op (which lasted 3 weeks!) YES, THAT STALL IS FRUSTRATING, but "This too shall pass" praise the Lord - I lost 18 lbs. in 7 weeks thusfar.

HW 205 (Keep in mind, not even 5' tall)

SW 188

Post op from IV fluids: 197

CW 170 Yea! 😃 Thankful to break the 3 week stall I had!

Edited by OmaJ
Typo