Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec 7th surgery scheduled, 2 week pre-op to start on Thanksgiving!!! UGH

I am looking forward to gaining my tool on Dec 7th but to start my pre-op on Thanksgiving I feel is kinda wrong. Do you think the surgeon will let me slide on that day and start the next?

Are you doing a liquid diet?

If not on a liquid diet, you could do a lower carb Thanksgiving meal. You can just find some lower carb sides to go with your turkey and/or ham.

Cauliflower mashed potatoes, turkey stuffed bell peppers, collard greens, green Beans, broccoli cauliflower rice with cheese, low carb cheesy skillet bread, low carb cheesecake for dessert.

If you are doing a liquid diet, you have a decision to make. Do you start a day late? Your surgeon might not mind, but I would assume some surgeons will say that this is your first HUGGEEE test.

Anyway, good luck in your journey.

You could do what my surgeon told me about thanksgiving dinner. She said to just have it a week before your pre-op diet starts...Woohoo Problem Solved!!!!.....LOL

I’ll only be 16 days out on Thanksgiving. My sister in law invited me over for tea and broth. And she will feed my daughter and mother.

30 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

Are you doing a liquid diet?

If not on a liquid diet, you could do a lower carb Thanksgiving meal. You can just find some lower carb sides to go with your turkey and/or ham.

Cauliflower mashed potatoes, turkey stuffed bell peppers, collard greens, green Beans, broccoli cauliflower rice with cheese, low carb cheesy skillet bread, low carb cheesecake for dessert.

If you are doing a liquid diet, you have a decision to make. Do you start a day late? Your surgeon might not mind, but I would assume some surgeons will say that this is your first HUGGEEE test.

Anyway, good luck in your journey.

yes my surgeon requires a two week liquid diet and the lower carb meal does sound like a great option. I have been through one Thanksgiving on low carb. I think I can last through another. And your right it will be a really huge test.

13 minutes ago, Jade5 said:

You could do what my surgeon told me about thanksgiving dinner. She said to just have it a week before your pre-op diet starts...Woohoo Problem Solved!!!!.....LOL

Your right but I don't think all the family that is planning on coming in town will switch it up just for little ole me. LOL!

Thank you all for the advice. I guess I will discuss it with my surgeon to see what he suggests as well. Good luck to everyone!!

Honestly one day won't make a difference at all, and they would never notice. Patients cheat on their two week diets all the time (not saying it's a good thing).

But a 13 day diet vs a 14 is a completely moot point. Use Thanksgiving as your food funeral, then move on the next day with the next chapter of your life.

If you legit stick to your preoperative diet for the next 13 days without cheating and being strict you'll be primed and good to go for your surgery.

If you really want to play it conservatively maybe start your preop diet a couple days before Thanksgiving, then Celebrate Thanksgiving normally, then go back to full speed ahead

Edited by Mhy12784

you don't HAVE to do the pre-op diet. not like they won't still operate on you.

you don't HAVE to do the pre-op diet. not like they won't still operate on you.

You do need to follow the pre-op diet. It helps shrink your liver so your surgical team can maneuver better. Always follow your plan or you may find yourself struggling long term.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have no pre-op diet until 24 hours before surgery when I go to liquids. Then nothing after midnight before surgery.

However, with that said I'm going home to California this month for my youngest daughters wedding and I'm getting a crowd together to Celebrate Thanksgiving a month early. My surgery is Nov. 1

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

15 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

Honestly one day won't make a difference at all, and they would never notice. Patients cheat on their two week diets all the time (not saying it's a good thing).

But a 13 day diet vs a 14 is a completely moot point. Use Thanksgiving as your food funeral, then move on the next day with the next chapter of your life.

If you legit stick to your preoperative diet for the next 13 days without cheating and being strict you'll be primed and good to go for your surgery.

If you really want to play it conservatively maybe start your preop diet a couple days before Thanksgiving, then Celebrate Thanksgiving normally, then go back to full speed ahead

Thank you so much for the advice. I was thinking one day and being it was the first one it may not be such a big deal. And maybe I could start it a few days early just so that that would be the only food for two weeks and a few days.