Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3.5 months post op. No weight loss since month 1.5

This is painful to admit. My worst fear has come true that I would blow this. I have lost 30 lbs since my surgery in June but have only lost 3 lbs in the past 2 months. I was doing well but the last stall messed with my head and I’ve gone back to old habits of snacking, grazing and mentally obsessing about what to eat. I eat very highly nutritious clean foods (I’m an aspiring gourmet cook) and occasionally grab 5 pringles or a spoon of ice cream when my kids have It out which feels like a compulsion I can’t control. For one solid month I was staying under 1200 calories, 75 grams protein/day and no loss and yes that includes every gram I put in my mouth. And it was taking every bit of my will to stick to that. I’m grateful my recovery was a breeze, no problems drinking Water and getting my Protein in. But I feel the same as I always have. My cravings are not changed. My appetite is the same and I can eat anything. Of course now I can only eat about 6 ounces at a time. I wait to drink water as long as possible because it does wash the food out of my stomach and I am hungry about every 2 hours. And I read what you all say. The scolders who say why do you eat foods you aren’t supposed to? And I wonder why you all who are able to stick to your food rules need this surgery? I wish I knew what makes me different. I am seeking a therapist to discuss this because I can’t stick to food rules after seeing no results after more than a month of white knuckling it and nothing happened. And my message is it’s true this is no magic tool because I feel the same as I always have. I have quit gaining which is good but I still have at least 70 lbs to lose. I’m 40, feel super healthy, always have lots of energy, I am passionate about many things in my life, I sleep great, love my job and personal life balance and I’m grateful for my health. I’ve been walking since surgery in fact the nurse who tried to wheel me out of the hospital said I was the first bariatric patient that ever asked to walk out at discharge. I have felt normal since day one!

I am scheduled for metabolic testing and I’m curious to see what I’m burning daily and hoping I can get motivated again. I’m so down about this and back to feeling powerless like I did before surgery.

This is painful to admit. My worst fear has come true that I would blow this. I have lost 30 lbs since my surgery in June but have only lost 3 lbs in the past 2 months. I was doing well but the last stall messed with my head and I’ve gone back to old habits of snacking, grazing and mentally obsessing about what to eat. I eat very highly nutritious clean foods (I’m an aspiring gourmet cook) and occasionally grab 5 pringles or a spoon of ice cream when my kids have It out which feels like a compulsion I can’t control. For one solid month I was staying under 1200 calories, 75 grams protein/day and no loss and yes that includes every gram I put in my mouth. And it was taking every bit of my will to stick to that. I’m grateful my recovery was a breeze, no problems drinking Water and getting my Protein in. But I feel the same as I always have. My cravings are not changed. My appetite is the same and I can eat anything. Of course now I can only eat about 6 ounces at a time. I wait to drink water as long as possible because it does wash the food out of my stomach and I am hungry about every 2 hours. And I read what you all say. The scolders who say why do you eat foods you aren’t supposed to? And I wonder why you all who are able to stick to your food rules need this surgery? I wish I knew what makes me different. I am seeking a therapist to discuss this because I can’t stick to food rules after seeing no results after more than a month of white knuckling it and nothing happened. And my message is it’s true this is no magic tool because I feel the same as I always have. I have quit gaining which is good but I still have at least 70 lbs to lose. I’m 40, feel super healthy, always have lots of energy, I am passionate about many things in my life, I sleep great, love my job and personal life balance and I’m grateful for my health. I’ve been walking since surgery in fact the nurse who tried to wheel me out of the hospital said I was the first bariatric patient that ever asked to walk out at discharge. I have felt normal since day one!
I am scheduled for metabolic testing and I’m curious to see what I’m burning daily and hoping I can get motivated again. I’m so down about this and back to feeling powerless like I did before surgery.

That sounds very frustrating! I think you should call your dr. Maybe you have a thyroid problem? Try doing a different exercise like spinning or barre. Those are my gotos because I can move my legs fast on a stationary bike in a dark room ( and I can't run) and barre you don't even wear shoes! So they are low impact. Maybe you just need to get your heart rate up a bit rather than walking - if that's what you are doing for exercise. I also think it's ok to treat yourself- just not every day. Know at the beginning of the week what your plan is and enjoy a bite of something good. I hope you get the results you want soon!

I am just now up to 1000-1100 cal a day at 11 months. I know 1200 is about the amount of calories someone 9 months to year out needs to be at. You also said that you were staying below 1200 cal for one solid month, but what about now? If you're going above that at 4-5 months post op, then I can see why you wouldn't be losing weight. Plus you didn't mention how many carbs you are taking in, and I know that when my carbs went above 40 grams a day, I would not lose weight. I lose good weight when I keep my carbs between 20-30 grams a day.

I always keep my Protein at 100 grams a day. My nutritionist said to get at least 80 a day.

So you eat clean, but you also sneak Pringles and ice cream, even just a few or a spoonful. Stop doing that. Carbs galore. The therapist idea is good.

Protein first, 6oz is way too much if it's protein alone. I eat 3 oz protein per meal, and sometomes eat 3 oz protein as a snack, a few hour after a meal. Protein first, then a few bites of veggies.

Log everything using an app like fitnesspal.

You have the power to make good food choices. Then you will start seeing results.

1200 at 3 months? Did I read that right

Why are you angry before anyone's even said anything. You want help. But you'r asking us if we can stick to the rules why do we need surgery? There is no need to be rude. and I can't believe that is a serious question.

I had this surgery because I needed help or I would have died. The surgery has given me focus. And I couldn't do it without it.

I appreciate the encouraging responses. And I understand the rules about Protein first and avoiding carbs. I’m amazed at you all who can follow them consistently and I admire you! My point is I feel the same as I did before surgery and I believed surgery would help me not have so many cravings in between meals or think about food so much. Because resisting what temps me is just as difficult as it was before surgery. Like I said I’m seeking a therapist to address this. This is a great tool because it makes us eat less at one time. For some people it takes away their cravings too which is what I was hoping for. I definitely need to do better about counting carbs and switching up exercises. I use MyFitnessPal.

Thank you!

That sounds very frustrating! I think you should call your dr. Maybe you have a thyroid problem? Try doing a different exercise like spinning or barre. Those are my gotos because I can move my legs fast on a stationary bike in a dark room ( and I can't run) and barre you don't even wear shoes! So they are low impact. Maybe you just need to get your heart rate up a bit rather than walking - if that's what you are doing for exercise. I also think it's ok to treat yourself- just not every day. Know at the beginning of the week what your plan is and enjoy a bite of something good. I hope you get the results you want soon!

Thanks for the encouragement! I have wondered if I have a thyroid issue but I don’t have any other symptoms. Maybe I’ll request blood work just in case.

Why are you angry before anyone's even said anything. You want help. But you'r asking us if we can stick to the rules why do we need surgery? There is no need to be rude. and I can't believe that is a serious question.
I had this surgery because I needed help or I would have died. The surgery has given me focus. And I couldn't do it without it.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. It was not a serious question in the literal sense. I am more mystified by your different experience that has helped you change. My meaning was Why do I feel the same as before surgery? Resisting what I know I shouldn’t have feels just as difficult as it did before surgery. I’m happy for you that you’ve had success!

I hope that you find the answers that you are seeking. My reason for having surgery boiled down to the sheer amount of food that I was able to eat in a single sitting. I wasn't a huge processed food snacker. I was able to eat 5-7 cups per sitting, which didn't hurt me when I was eating veggies and brown rice. It did hurt me when I ate something bad though. Unfortunately, eating 8 slices of pizza, and 5 tacos on a cheat day derailed my progress during the other 6 days of my diet. I didn't have surgery with the hope that it would make me not want pizza or tacos. I had it with the hope that I would possibly be able to eat 1-2 slices of pizza or 1 or 2 tacos. I also knew that cutting that 5-7 cups down to a more manageable 1-2 cups would make a huge difference in the amount of calories I was taking in on a daily basis. I really had no idea that I would be eating 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of food per sitting.

Since surgery, I have had both pizza and tacos. I have made them myself though. Cauliflower crust pizza loaded with veggies, a very tiny amount of sauce and a very tiny amount of mozzarella cheese. Veggie sausage, egg white and spinach tacos made with 1/2 of a Flat-out light wrap. I could eat a little over 1/3 of a 9" cauliflower crust pizza, and it would be just over 150 calories. The tacos would be a little over 160 calories. That is a win in my book.

I once took a month long nutrition class (for insurance purposes) that said that you can contribute at least 20-30 pounds of your excess weight to each group of bad foods you eat. If you eat salty Snacks, sweets, fast food, drink alcohol.....Each of these groups can really pack on the pounds. I think that everyone must realize that this surgery doesn't help as much if your problem is snacking on processed junk or eating fast food unless you yourself are willing to change. 5 ounces of candy is A LOT of calories. 5 ounces of Doritos is A LOT of calories. 5 ounces of ice cream is A LOT of calories. These are all sliders, have almost no nutritional value, and will not make you full. Even a small cheeseburger and small fry from McDonalds will carry almost 550 calories. Have that 2 or more times per week, and you could still wreck your progress.

There was a bariatric doctor that said that if you want to be successful in weight loss, you must do the right things at least 90% of the time. You will have stalls, but you can still lose fat during these stalls. Get back to your program. If you must snack, find healthy snacks that you like eating. I like crunchy veggies and raw nuts, but have an occasional turkey roll or two (turkey breast slices, cream cheese, chives).

Remember, no surgery is going to overcome the brain's urge to eat junk food or processed food. You've got to learn to have that every loooonnnnggg once in a while, and hopefully, in the case of junk food....Make better choices about what you have. You can have a salad anywhere. Just don't pile on the dressing, croutons and/or tortilla strips. LOL!

You can do this. It won't be easy. I won't be fun. It WILL make you stronger. It WILL be worth it in the end.

Good luck my friends!

Of course you should talk to your doctor/therapist (when you find one), but I wonder if it's the carbs that are derailing you. They certainly do for me. I was pretty good in the beginning about tracking my food and macros, but since I mostly eat the same thing all the time, it got pretty boring so I stopped. However, I've been losing weight steadily in the 8 months since surgery. That said, over the summer I started eating more carbs that usual - lots of fruit, an occasional wrap here and there, a chai latte, etc. And I noticed a few things. One, I started getting hungrier. Two, my weight completely stalled (and in fact, went up a few pounds). And three, I noticed that unlike protein-dense foods like chicken, most carbs went through my sleeve with no problem - I could eat them all day if I wanted to. So I've gone back to (mostly) what I had been doing before (low carbs - not quite Keto but pretty close) and guess what - my weight is starting to go down again on a slow but steady basis, my cravings have stopped, and I'm more mindful about what I eat.

We are all different, what works for one may not work for another, but perhaps you really do need to think about the carbs you are putting into your body and if that makes a difference. The sleeve has forced me to eat less per sitting and has reset my body to help me lose weight, but I've quickly learned that I cannot go back, even a little, to eating what I used to eat before. It's too slippery a slope. Which sucks because there are a lot of (high carb) foods out there that I love but that I know I probably won't eat again for a very long time (if ever). I know you're an aspiring gourmand, but you may have to channel that energy into foods that are good for you and your sleeve. Also, I don't know how old your kids are, but you may want to talk to them about having only good foods in the house for a while (so no pringles or ice cream) to help you stay on track. Temptation is a hard thing to get over, and it takes a long time to truly get over the things we love (if ever). In any event, good luck.

I hope that you find the answers that you are seeking. My reason for having surgery boiled down to the sheer amount of food that I was able to eat in a single sitting. I wasn't a huge processed food snacker. I was able to eat 5-7 cups per sitting, which didn't hurt me when I was eating veggies and brown rice. It did hurt me when I ate something bad though. Unfortunately, eating 8 slices of pizza, and 5 tacos on a cheat day derailed my progress during the other 6 days of my diet. I didn't have surgery with the hope that it would make me not want pizza or tacos. I had it with the hope that I would possibly be able to eat 1-2 slices of pizza or 1 or 2 tacos. I also knew that cutting that 5-7 cups down to a more manageable 1-2 cups would make a huge difference in the amount of calories I was taking in on a daily basis. I really had no idea that I would be eating 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of food per sitting.
Since surgery, I have had both pizza and tacos. I have made them myself though. Cauliflower crust pizza loaded with veggies, a very tiny amount of sauce and a very tiny amount of mozzarella cheese. Veggie sausage, egg white and spinach tacos made with 1/2 of a Flat-out light wrap. I could eat a little over 1/3 of a 9" cauliflower crust pizza, and it would be just over 150 calories. The tacos would be a little over 160 calories. That is a win in my book.
I once took a month long nutrition class (for insurance purposes) that said that you can contribute at least 20-30 pounds of your excess weight to each group of bad foods you eat. If you eat salty Snacks, sweets, fast food, drink alcohol.....Each of these groups can really pack on the pounds. I think that everyone must realize that this surgery doesn't help as much if your problem is snacking on processed junk or eating fast food unless you yourself are willing to change. 5 ounces of candy is A LOT of calories. 5 ounces of Doritos is A LOT of calories. 5 ounces of ice cream is A LOT of calories. These are all sliders, have almost no nutritional value, and will not make you full. Even a small cheeseburger and small fry from McDonalds will carry almost 550 calories. Have that 2 or more times per week, and you could still wreck your progress.
There was a bariatric doctor that said that if you want to be successful in weight loss, you must do the right things at least 90% of the time. You will have stalls, but you can still lose fat during these stalls. Get back to your program. If you must snack, find healthy snacks that you like eating. I like crunchy veggies and raw nuts, but have an occasional turkey roll or two (turkey breast slices, cream cheese, chives).
Remember, no surgery is going to overcome the brain's urge to eat junk food or processed food. You've got to learn to have that every loooonnnnggg once in a while, and hopefully, in the case of junk food....Make better choices about what you have. You can have a salad anywhere. Just don't pile on the dressing, croutons and/or tortilla strips. LOL!
You can do this. It won't be easy. I won't be fun. It WILL make you stronger. It WILL be worth it in the end.

Good luck my friends!

Thank you for this reply! I appreciate this concept of doing the right things 90% of the time as well as all you share. Thank you!

Of course you should talk to your doctor/therapist (when you find one), but I wonder if it's the carbs that are derailing you. They certainly do for me. I was pretty good in the beginning about tracking my food and macros, but since I mostly eat the same thing all the time, it got pretty boring so I stopped. However, I've been losing weight steadily in the 8 months since surgery. That said, over the summer I started eating more carbs that usual - lots of fruit, an occasional wrap here and there, a chai latte, etc. And I noticed a few things. One, I started getting hungrier. Two, my weight completely stalled (and in fact, went up a few pounds). And three, I noticed that unlike protein-dense foods like chicken, most carbs went through my sleeve with no problem - I could eat them all day if I wanted to. So I've gone back to (mostly) what I had been doing before (low carbs - not quite Keto but pretty close) and guess what - my weight is starting to go down again on a slow but steady basis, my cravings have stopped, and I'm more mindful about what I eat.
We are all different, what works for one may not work for another, but perhaps you really do need to think about the carbs you are putting into your body and if that makes a difference. The sleeve has forced me to eat less per sitting and has reset my body to help me lose weight, but I've quickly learned that I cannot go back, even a little, to eating what I used to eat before. It's too slippery a slope. Which sucks because there are a lot of (high carb) foods out there that I love but that I know I probably won't eat again for a very long time (if ever). I know you're an aspiring gourmand, but you may have to channel that energy into foods that are good for you and your sleeve. Also, I don't know how old your kids are, but you may want to talk to them about having only good foods in the house for a while (so no pringles or ice cream) to help you stay on track. Temptation is a hard thing to get over, and it takes a long time to truly get over the things we love (if ever). In any event, good luck.

I think about this a lot and you may be right about the carbs. I have enjoyed the amazing summer fruits like peaches and lots of berries and watermelon. And they’re so full of Vitamins and nutrients that they’re easily justifiable but I know sweet fruits are carbs. Ugh!!! My boys are teenagers and i keep only the bare minimum of fillers they need because I can’t afford for them to eat a whole chicken each every day haha! They get hostile/ hangry when we don’t have those Snacks. It’s up to me to make better choices. Thank you for this thoughtful reply!