Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery didn’t work?

If I could read your name and the state in which you're licensed, I'd be on the phone with the licensing board first thing tomorrow morning. Please discontinue your unethical behavior. If you don't understand that what you're doing is unethical, please seek consultation.

Oh but you can’t read them so it’s a moot point. I will discontinue absolutely nothing as I’ve done nothing wrong. I tend to do what I please. Take your laughable threats elsewhere to someone who may actually fear your repeated asinine empty threats.

1 minute ago, Abeille213 said:

Lol you’ll push for me to be banned? Have at it. I’m sure the admins put a lot of thought into your opinion.
Actionable and unethical? Wrong again. But good effort, love bug.

For anyone reading, the American Psychological Association ethical guidelines can be found here: http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/

Every state, to my knowledge, relies heavily on them to determine what constitutes unprofessional conduct. In ethics training provided by the TRUST, which is the malpractice company endorsed by the APA, the trainer presented surprisingly analogous behavior as an example of unethical acts on a message board.

Abeille213, please seek consultation, and refrain from unethical behavior.

For anyone reading, the American Psychological Association ethical guidelines can be found here: http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/
Every state, to my knowledge, relies heavily on them to determine what constitutes unprofessional conduct. In ethics training provided by the TRUST, which is the malpractice company endorsed by the APA, the trainer presented surprisingly analogous behavior as an example of unethical acts on a message board.
Abeille213, please seek consultation, and refrain from unethical behavior.

Good god, you have got to be an extremely old person. Lol Yes, there’s a board of ethics. Does it apply outside of a professional setting? Nope. Not at all. So save the idiocy. Or... I suppose you could contact them yourself and let them tell you. Just be sure to let them know that an anonymous stranger online hurt your wittle bitty feelings and you can’t take it. Let them know this person is a licensed psychologist and you want to file a complaint against this anonymous person for something that happened on an anonymous Internet forum outside of a professional environment. Then, move the phone from your ear to prevent damage, as they will be laughing quite audibly.
You might even record the phone call. It will get a lot of laughs.

On 10/11/2017 at 0:58 PM, Alex Brecher said:

Reminder: Please everyone read the forum rules you agreed to abide by when signing up for an account here https://www.bariatricpal.com/guidelines/. The cursing and calling each other names need to stop, immediately! If this behavior continues, we will suspend accounts permanently and without any warning.

Mr Brecher, there is a user on this thread who is claiming to be a psychologist, posting unverifiable proof that she is a psychologist, and then making hostile and denigrating evaluative statements to other users as a psychologist. When confronted, she refuses to curb her unethical behavior. This is analogous to someone claiming to be a physician and then practicing bad medicine on an anonymous internet forum that you host. Tolerating this behavior may make you complicit in any resulting harm. Please ban Abeille213.

Mr Brecher, there is a user on this thread who is claiming to be a psychologist, posting unverifiable proof that she is a psychologist, and then making hostile and denigrating evaluative statements to other users as a psychologist. When confronted, she refuses to curb her unethical behavior. This is analogous to someone claiming to be a physician and then practicing bad medicine on an anonymous internet forum that you host. Tolerating this behavior may make you complicit in any resulting harm. Please ban Abeille213.

My behavior is not unethical. I am entitled to my opinions just as anyone else. If you’re so concerned about the behavior of others, perhaps you should focus on the two people who are actually cursing me, telling me they hope I die, saying they hope I gain every pound back plus 50, calling me a cow, fat shaming, etc.

Or doesn’t that fit the narrative you’re attempting to build here?

Lol this is so funny. It truly is. Come on, tell me. How old are you really? I’m guessing 55+.

Are you unaware that this is a public forum full of differing opinions and ideas? That you don’t get to control what others think, feel or believe just because it isn’t what you think, feel or believe? I will continue on with my opinions regardless of what you think. But enjoy the juvenile attempts at kindergarten style tattling. This was seriously the best post I’ve seen yet. Absolutely classic. Thank you.

My behavior is not unethical. I am entitled to my opinions just as anyone else. If you’re so concerned about the behavior of others, perhaps you should focus on the two people who are actually cursing me, telling me they hope I die, saying they hope I gain every pound back plus 50, calling me a cow, fat shaming, etc.

Or doesn’t that fit the narrative you’re attempting to build here?

Lol this is so funny. It truly is. Come on, tell me. How old are you really? I’m guessing 55+.

Are you unaware that this is a public forum full of differing opinions and ideas? That you don’t get to control what others think, feel or believe just because it isn’t what you think, feel or believe? I will continue on with my opinions regardless of what you think. But enjoy the juvenile attempts at kindergarten style tattling. This was seriously the best post I’ve seen yet. Absolutely classic. Thank you.

Was one of those people claiming to be a psychologist?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using BariatricPal mobile app

Was one of those people claiming to be a psychologist?

Not that I’m aware of. What difference does that make? Does this forum have different rules for different professions? No? Okay then.
The cursing, threats and name calling are against the TOS regardless of profession. But nice try on attempting to excuse that rule breaking behavior whilst trying to condemn my non-rule breaking opinions. Lol Good luck, sweet pea.

Not that I’m aware of. What difference does that make? Does this forum have different rules for different professions? No? Okay then.
The cursing, threats and name calling are against the TOS regardless of profession. But nice try on attempting to excuse that rule breaking behavior whilst trying to condemn my non-rule breaking opinions. Lol Good luck, sweet pea.

When you identify yourself as a psychologist, you are acting in your professional role as a psychologist. When you make evaluative statements about another person as a psychologist, you are treating them as your patient, even though they have never consented to it.

"Principle A: Beneficence and Nonmaleficence
Psychologists strive to benefit those with whom they work and take care to do no harm. In their professional actions, psychologists seek to safeguard the welfare and rights of those with whom they interact professionally and other affected persons, and the welfare of animal subjects of research."

"Principle E: Respect for People's Rights and Dignity
Psychologists respect the dignity and worth of all people, and the rights of individuals to privacy, confidentiality, and self-determination."

"3.03 Other Harassment
Psychologists do not knowingly engage in behavior that is harassing or demeaning to persons with whom they interact in their work based on factors such as those persons' age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, or socioeconomic status."

"3.04 Avoiding Harm
(a) Psychologists take reasonable steps to avoid harming their clients/patients, students, supervisees, research participants, organizational clients, and others with whom they work, and to minimize harm where it is foreseeable and unavoidable. "

If there is anyone on this thread who feels they have been harmed by this individual, please contact the Tennessee professional licensing board: https://tn.gov/health/article/filing-complaints-against-health-care-professionals

This person states she has a specialty in weight loss, practices in Memphis, performs bariatric psych evals, and has been making denigrating comments here under the auspices of her expertise as a psychologist. Though she's not identifiable on the basis of extant information, her board does have subpoena authority and could certainly identify her, if they deemed there was sufficient cause to open an investigation. (Note that portraying oneself as a psychologist when one is not can be deemed sufficient cause in itself.) If there are enough complaints, there may well be an investigation, because what is going on here is not really debatable, ethically.

And she should be banned from this site.

Ok, I can see it now. Everyone jumps on the "exercise is da bomb" train.. "let's all get out and run a marathon this time next year". The people this board is catering to are almost all newbies. They are newly out of surgery, trying to recover.. they are 100+ pounds overweight (and most of us didn't get that way by walking 5 miles a day).
Muscles can grow in weeks. Bone and ligament strength takes a year or more.
Lots of people are busy, going to work, maintaining their homes, caring for their families. The surgery comes along and takes months of recuperation, and introduces a completely new lifestyle that they are expected to carry on forever. Do you think that the whole package may be asking just a bit too much?
Patients' to do list after leaving the hospital:
Care for your wounds, and watch for signs of infection for the next month.
Relearn how to drink
Relearn how to eat
Watch and count every single thing that you are eating and drinking
Learn how to shop
Learn what complications you may or may not be experiencing to figure out if you should contact someone, or if it's normal.
Learn how to poop more, or less.
Learn how to feed the cats when you can't pick up more than 10lbs for the next month and a half.
Learn how to sleep when the normal position hurts
Learn that weight loss doesn't happen nearly as quickly and consistently as was imagined
Learn to trust the process
Learn that going for a walk leaves you more breathless postop than preop
Learn that the Vitamins that you have to take will actually make you sick and you have to find some that don't
Learn that loose skin has to be contained, or rashes develop
Learn what dehydration feels like, and how to prevent it
Learn that you're now sensitive to dairy (or other common foods)
Ok.. you get the point. For some people, all of the above comes naturally and there is no trouble. But, from the questions on this board, those people are few and far between. Adding intense, mandatory exercise on top of all of that might just cause some heads to explode.
Dr. V is saying.. hey, let's get control of all these issues.. get calories up a bit and your heads on straight, figure out the early challenges.. and THEN introduce a more rigorous exercise routine. Don't bite off more than you can chew, and don't feel GUILTY about not wanting to bite off more than you can chew.
If everyone says, hey, exercise is REQUIRED, NECESSARY, PEER REVIEWED, and you won't be successful without it.. that is putting ANOTHER burden on people that are in a delicate condition, and is possibly a contributing source of much of the emotional turmoil we see on this board.
I never said people should sit on the couch for the first year. But I'm saying taking a little walk, or easy yoga, or a swim is going to be just fine.. and to save the harder stuff for later.
People that are chomping at the bit and capable and desirous of more intensity.. well, they'll tell themselves that my advice is for all those couch potatoes and not THEM. So they'll ignore it and do what they want. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. My goal is not to get everyone to hold him/herself back. My goal is to say, hey.. you don't have to kill yourselves. Bite off what you can handle right now, and take on more later when you're ready.
And the reality is that people that bite off too much at once do tend to hurt themselves. Slow and progressive advancement can help prevent many of those types of injuries. (And allowing time for weight loss, will also help take some of the pressure off of delicate joints).
I'm thrilled that early, intense exercise worked for you, Jess. You are an inspiration! It's just not for everyone.

Didn't say it was for everyone, but he says quite literally it's not for anyone. He uses way too many generalizations that weren't true for me, so it throws up a lot of red flags for me.

I watched the whole thing again today and I just can't get behind anyone who says "always" and "every time" as much as he does.

And that stuff about don't even think about going to the fun if you can't afford a personal trainer? Wow, elitist much? You can learn a heck of a lot from books, the internet, videos.... some people will never be able to afford a personal trainer, me included.

I started couch to 5k (free app) and yoga at the $30/month gym he eschews. Nope not for everyone, but also not for no one.

And I'm not one of those former athletes who only got out of shape recently. I'm a never been an athlete and heavy my whole life.

Not saying it's for everyone and I totally agree with the over arching theme that most weight is lost by diet not exercise, but not everyone has an increase in appetite with exercise and not everyone is unable to get benefit in a reduced calorie state. I built muscle on 600 calories a day. I ended a year at less than 900 calories a day and an INCREASE in lean body mass even though I halved my starting weight (271 to 135). And that body he said would take five years? Again, nope.

So I have issues with his "Bro" science. If there's actual science behind it I would love to see it, but too many generalities that I can contradict.

I don't believe exercise is necessary to lose weight, but I also know it isn't going to stop you from losing weight or fat.

Psychology and journalism -- two degrees that people got when they weren't that smart at my university. Oh, and political science, lest forget.

Let's not resort to Ad Hominem attacks. We are all bigger than that. Use the ignore function, don't stoop to that level. There are probably people you admire who majored in each. Let's not get mean and petty.

I'm sorry my long-winded post drove everyone off the deep end [emoji20] I thought I made a good argument....
* Thinks to self: "Maybe everyone is just exercising too much"... [emoji6]

Or not enough [emoji6][emoji6]

When you identify yourself as a psychologist, you are acting in your professional role as a psychologist. When you make evaluative statements about another person as a psychologist, you are treating them as your patient, even though they have never consented to it.

"Principle A: Beneficence and Nonmaleficence
Psychologists strive to benefit those with whom they work and take care to do no harm. In their professional actions, psychologists seek to safeguard the welfare and rights of those with whom they interact professionally and other affected persons, and the welfare of animal subjects of research."

"Principle E: Respect for People's Rights and Dignity
Psychologists respect the dignity and worth of all people, and the rights of individuals to privacy, confidentiality, and self-determination."

"3.03 Other Harassment
Psychologists do not knowingly engage in behavior that is harassing or demeaning to persons with whom they interact in their work based on factors such as those persons' age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, or socioeconomic status."

"3.04 Avoiding Harm
(a) Psychologists take reasonable steps to avoid harming their clients/patients, students, supervisees, research participants, organizational clients, and others with whom they work, and to minimize harm where it is foreseeable and unavoidable. "

If there is anyone on this thread who feels they have been harmed by this individual, please contact the Tennessee professional licensing board: https://tn.gov/health/article/filing-complaints-against-health-care-professionals

This person states she has a specialty in weight loss, practices in Memphis, performs bariatric psych evals, and has been making denigrating comments here under the auspices of her expertise as a psychologist. Though she's not identifiable on the basis of extant information, her board does have subpoena authority and could certainly identify her, if they deemed there was sufficient cause to open an investigation. (Note that portraying oneself as a psychologist when one is not can be deemed sufficient cause in itself.) If there are enough complaints, there may well be an investigation, because what is going on here is not really debatable, ethically.

And she should be banned from this site.

I find it interesting that you’re so concerned with my opinions but not at all concerned with those who have broken rules. Fear not, I’m in the process of reporting them, of course. But still... your hypocrisy is shining.

By the way, I never said I practice in Memphis. However, I did just return from a conference there. The south isn’t really for me, so nah. Not Memphis.

I strongly encourage you (dare you, really) to do your level best to report me to whatever governing board you can convince to listen to you. Of course, that would be none of them, as they couldn’t hear you over the sound of their own raucous laughter once they heard your ridiculous claims... but, I digress...

Please, do your best. I want you to try. I really, really do. You are a geriatric, lonely person with little else to do than follow me around this forum. So it’s not at all surprising that you would latch onto someone like me who might give your meaningless life purpose for a day or two. Unfortunately for you, the fact remains that I will do as I please. Always. And there’s absolutely nothing that you can do about it. That must really annoy a know it all like yourself.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m meeting someone at the movie theater shortly. However, feel free to reach out to whatever board you can find. Hint: the ethics board is not state specific. You should be able to file a complaint against me without knowing in which state(s) I practice. Good luck!

I find it interesting that you’re so concerned with my opinions but not at all concerned with those who have broken rules. Fear not, I’m in the process of reporting them, of course. But still... your hypocrisy is shining.

By the way, I never said I practice in Memphis. However, I did just return from a conference there. The south isn’t really for me, so nah. Not Memphis.

I strongly encourage you (dare you, really) to do your level best to report me to whatever governing board you can convince to listen to you. Of course, that would be none of them, as they couldn’t hear you over the sound of their own raucous laughter once they heard your ridiculous claims... but, I digress...

Please, do your best. I want you to try. I really, really do. You are a geriatric, lonely person with little else to do than follow me around this forum. So it’s not at all surprising that you would latch onto someone like me who might give your meaningless life purpose for a day or two. Unfortunately for you, the fact remains that I will do as I please. Always. And there’s absolutely nothing that you can do about it. That must really annoy a know it all like yourself.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m meeting someone at the movie theater shortly. However, feel free to reach out to whatever board you can find. Hint: the ethics board is not state specific. You should be able to file a complaint against me without knowing in which state(s) I practice. Good luck!

Every licensing board is state specific. The APA ethics board has jurisdiction over APA members only, of course (though state professional associations and licensing board take guidance from them), and I have no idea whether or not you're a member.

I took Memphis from your profile.

Wow this is getting truly popcorn worthy! Crazy people going off the deep end here.... the psychologist chief among them!

Every licensing board is state specific. The APA ethics board has jurisdiction over APA members only, of course (though state professional associations and licensing board take guidance from them), and I have no idea whether or not you're a member.

I took Memphis from your profile.

I’m not in the business of posting my legitimate private info online but feel free to contact the state of TN. Maybe they’ll point you in the right direction.

Also, the ACA and APA both have a separate code of ethics. They are national, not state specific. Perhaps you could start there. I am a member of both organizations.