Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery didn’t work?

I would like to put something in to perspective for any of you that feel you haven't lost enough... The BIGGEST thing I BELIEVE we all do is compare ourselves to others.. Although we are all striving for similar Goals each of our journeys are very different... If you have lost 32.4 pounds in 2 months you NEED to Celebrate that Victory and think about what your Goal might be for the next two months.. Let me break it down for you, that is 4 pounds a week which is a GREAT weight loss and you should be proud of that. Having WLS is just another Tool in our toolbelt to help us reach our goal not a Cure or quick fix for what got us where we were to begin with... I am almost 2 1/2 years PO from having the Sleeve done and my first year I lost 157 pounds. I was VERY strict on what went in my mouth and journaling.... I also at my height weight was 440 pounds. This past year done if my bad habits have come back and I've gained 50 pounds back but I'm here to say I'm NOT finished with my Journey and I KNOW I Will achieve my Goals but it is definitely taking me longer than some... I hope I didn't offend anyone but I am VERY passionate and REAL about what I have been through. Sometimes the hardest part is looking in the mirror when we aren't being true to ourselves. We ALL deserve to be the BEST version of ourselves but it starts within us. Ok I guess I've shared enough for my first time sharing. I hope you ALL have an AMAZING day and be proud of your ACCOMPLISHMENTS. . Let's Help support each other...

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey guys! So I had gastric bypass on Aug. 14.2017. I was 249 starting, on surgery date I was 239 and today I am 208.8lbs.
I see everyone in here who’s weight is literally falling off! They do nothing and the weight still comes off. While all the weight I’ve lost so far, I put work in! I go to the gym everyday and do cardio for an hour! And I still don’t lose as much as other people. And now, my weight hasn’t changed since last week, school and depression got in the way and I didn’t work out for 5 days. But I can’t even say I lost a pound despite how little I eat. So this is what I ate yesterday: Breakfast was a Premier Protein, dinner was 44g of an avocado and 1 large egg. Then I had a snack of cashews which was portioned out to approx. 15g. Here comes the bad part, I ate a Pringle and I ate 3/4 potato chips from Trader Joe’s, so they probably aren’t as bad as lays. But it’s still bad I know. That was the first time I’ve had a snack of chips, today I’m throwing them all, no temptations. I don’t think it was horrible though, probably 5 chips in total [emoji20] . Even if I do a liquid diet, I still lose nothing. I’ll do one this week and let you guys know. So disappointed and unmotivated! I paid so much for this surgery because my insurance wouldn’t cover it. And here I am, with the world’s shittest results. Also note that I feel like I’ve been on a stall 99.9% of the time! Two weekends ago was the first time that the weight fell off and I lost 4 lbs by two days. But that’s the only time that has happened. EVER.

I had surgery on August 7th
Starting weight: 225
Surgery day: 220
Current weight: 196

I'm losing more slowly than you, but I'm not bothered about it. I feel so much better. I have more energy. My body is my friend again.

I'm a former marathon runner, and even then, my body hung onto weight like it knew a five year famine was coming.

I'm still losing a pound a week, which is sort of funny, because my last significant loss (45 lbs in 2014) went quicker than this. My diet is right on target. I haven't been exercising so far.

I'm not going to worry about it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, Abeille213 said:

“The world’s shittiest results”?? You’ve lost 30 pounds in under 2 months and you’re saying the weight loss is too slow. What exactly were you expecting??? I don’t understand posts like this at all. Did you not talk to your surgeon and nutritionist prior to surgery? Did you not do research? Are you not familiar with how this process works? Are you unfamiliar with how common stalls are? How long lasting they can be? Right after my first month post op, I had a 6 week stall.

You are going to have to get your expectations in check or you’re not going to make it through this. You’re already getting frustrated and eating potato chips (I.e. sabotaging) and you’re not even 2 months out. This is happening because your expectations are not reasonable. I would strongly recommend attending support group meetings and finding a therapist. You also need to meet with your nutritionist so he/she can set you straight on expectations.

On June 12, 2017 I had my gallbladder removed, my lapband removed and revised to an RNY.

HW: 402, SW 306, CW 257, GW 185

I’ve basically stalled throughout this entire journey so far. I already went two weeks in September not losing a single pound. Then I upped my cardio for an hour and I had to work my butt off to lose 2 pounds a week. I see others doing absolutely nothing but they’re losing 3/4 pounds a week. Even my nutritionist said I was probably stalling at the time I lost weight on my own. Me working out was probably why I was still losing. I don’t think I’m sabotaging myself by having 4 chips in 2 months. I never said I was eating them everyday. I know I probably shouldn’t have. But it’s not the end of the world. And yes I did do my research, and yes I spoke to my doctors and my weightloss team. They told me I shouldn’t have to feel as if I always have to work out to lose weight. I know my expectations, I already reached my 3 month goal before my 2nd. I wrote this post while frustrated with the process of a stall. But I’m going to do everything I can to speed up my stall and keep things going. I don’t want a 2 month stall. And there are people on here that will tell you how they helped overcome their stall ie by increasing calorie, or exercise or increasing their Protein. It doesn’t hurt to try new things in order to see what works, thats what I’m doing.

6 hours ago, Abeille213 said:

Yes! I am soooo freaking tired of the whining, “omg I’m ONLY losing 15-20 lbs a month it’s so unfairrrrrrrr!!!” [emoji849] Like, seriously?

Then don’t read it? Lol you took the time to read all the replies so are you really tired of it? 😂😂

7 hours ago, Abeille213 said:

Just be careful with the doctor in this video. His ideas have been repeatedly debunked by a multitude of bariatric surgeons. There’s a ton of research that goes against everything he says. I think a lot of WLS patients listen to him because they want to believe he’s right. Don’t exercise after surgery?? Awesome! It sounds great, right? But there is zero scientific research to support his claims and a ton of scientific research that debunks his claims. So, just keep that in mind.

For the record, I'm careful with EVERYTHING I read on the internet! :-) What I liked about the video is that he reinforces what actually is VERY common science/research -- weight loss is achieved through diet, not exercise, and therefore you have to get your head and your diet straight as your top priorities during the early stages after bariatric surgery. And then when you do start exercising, most obese people are de-conditioned and are gonna need the help of trained professionals to guide you in the early stages. Those are the messages he promotes in this video, and they make perfect sense to me. Have you actually watched the video?

I watched another of his videos this morning out of curiosity (and will watch more) and he had the highly UN-debunkable position that your success or failure largely lies with the choices you make.

Edited by Apple203
typo

For the record, I'm careful with EVERYTHING I read on the internet! :-) What I liked about the video is that he reinforces what actually IS common science/research -- weight loss is achieved through diet, not exercise, and therefore you have to get your head and your diet straight as your top priorities during the early stages after bariatric surgery. And then when you do start exercising, as an obese person you are gonna need the help of trained professionals to guide you in the early stages. Those are the messages he promotes in this video, and they make perfect sense to me. Have you actually watched the video (just curious...).
I watched another of his videos this morning out of curiosity (and will watch more) and he had the highly UN-debunkable position that your success or failure largely lies with the choices you make.

Of course I watched it. I wouldn’t have commented about it if I hadn’t done significant research on this man and his comments regarding exercise. I won’t tell anyone what to think or believe, but there is a multitude of research that debunks his beliefs.

As an aside, exercise does cause weight loss. It’s about 80/20 diet vs exercise. Exercise and muscle tone turn the body into a resting calorie burning machine. If you’re interesting in learning just why many, many, many professionals disagree with Dr. V, check out Alwyn Cosgrove Hierarchy of Fat Loss or anything by John Berardi. There is also a lot of peer reviewed research on the subject I could point you in the direction of.

On June 12, 2017 I had my gallbladder removed, my lapband removed and revised to an RNY.

HW: 402, SW 306, CW 249, GW 185

well, as they say, to each his own...

5 hours ago, jess9395 said:

What are you basing this on? Just what makes sense to you or do you have some peer reviewed studies? I would love to read articles that address this based on science.

I did plenty of intense exercise when I was far from goal and continue and it didn't hurt my weight loss, helped me build muscle to increase my resting metabolic rate and it didn't increase my appetite until after I got to goal. I would caution against applying my own personal experience across the board to everyone, but just saying it didn't hurt me any. So I would love to read some science that addresses the matter.

Ok, I can see it now. Everyone jumps on the "exercise is da bomb" train.. "let's all get out and run a marathon this time next year". The people this board is catering to are almost all newbies. They are newly out of surgery, trying to recover.. they are 100+ pounds overweight (and most of us didn't get that way by walking 5 miles a day).

Muscles can grow in weeks. Bone and ligament strength takes a year or more.

Lots of people are busy, going to work, maintaining their homes, caring for their families. The surgery comes along and takes months of recuperation, and introduces a completely new lifestyle that they are expected to carry on forever. Do you think that the whole package may be asking just a bit too much?

Patients' to do list after leaving the hospital:

Care for your wounds, and watch for signs of infection for the next month.

Relearn how to drink

Relearn how to eat

Watch and count every single thing that you are eating and drinking

Learn how to shop

Learn what complications you may or may not be experiencing to figure out if you should contact someone, or if it's normal.

Learn how to poop more, or less.

Learn how to feed the cats when you can't pick up more than 10lbs for the next month and a half.

Learn how to sleep when the normal position hurts

Learn that weight loss doesn't happen nearly as quickly and consistently as was imagined

Learn to trust the process

Learn that going for a walk leaves you more breathless postop than preop

Learn that the Vitamins that you have to take will actually make you sick and you have to find some that don't

Learn that loose skin has to be contained, or rashes develop

Learn what dehydration feels like, and how to prevent it

Learn that you're now sensitive to dairy (or other common foods)

Ok.. you get the point. For some people, all of the above comes naturally and there is no trouble. But, from the questions on this board, those people are few and far between. Adding intense, mandatory exercise on top of all of that might just cause some heads to explode.

Dr. V is saying.. hey, let's get control of all these issues.. get calories up a bit and your heads on straight, figure out the early challenges.. and THEN introduce a more rigorous exercise routine. Don't bite off more than you can chew, and don't feel GUILTY about not wanting to bite off more than you can chew.

If everyone says, hey, exercise is REQUIRED, NECESSARY, PEER REVIEWED, and you won't be successful without it.. that is putting ANOTHER burden on people that are in a delicate condition, and is possibly a contributing source of much of the emotional turmoil we see on this board.

I never said people should sit on the couch for the first year. But I'm saying taking a little walk, or easy yoga, or a swim is going to be just fine.. and to save the harder stuff for later.

People that are chomping at the bit and capable and desirous of more intensity.. well, they'll tell themselves that my advice is for all those couch potatoes and not THEM. So they'll ignore it and do what they want. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. My goal is not to get everyone to hold him/herself back. My goal is to say, hey.. you don't have to kill yourselves. Bite off what you can handle right now, and take on more later when you're ready.

And the reality is that people that bite off too much at once do tend to hurt themselves. Slow and progressive advancement can help prevent many of those types of injuries. (And allowing time for weight loss, will also help take some of the pressure off of delicate joints).

I'm thrilled that early, intense exercise worked for you, Jess. You are an inspiration! It's just not for everyone.

People like you who come into my office with these ridiculous expectations and emotional instability—I deny them every time until they see a therapist for 6 months.

Curious, are u a physician? What kind?

You don't seem very tolerant of those that are having a bit of a hard time mentally right now. It may be easier for u to deal with since it appears u have been in the WLS game for awhile, are down a significant amount of weight (from 402 to 249), and have had time to mentally adjust to how quickly, or slowly, YOUR body loses weight. It's easy to forget that u too were once first out of WLS and eventually stalling in ur weight loss and wondering if u were doing the right or wrong things. You used to weigh 402lbs, those feelings must have come up. So why are u so judgemental of others that have them now?

Folks are here for support, not to be shamed or told to get over it and 'stop whining'. So, of course she would get defensive if someone tells her that! It's inappropriate, and since when has that ever been a proper way to empathize and encourage? Is it really necessary to vocalize your annoyance, for no reason, or is it more appropriate to just move on to a different thread, one where u can offer support, suggestions, and inspiration based on your experiences?

Curious, are u a physician? What kind?

You don't seem very tolerant of those that are having a bit of a hard time mentally right now. It may be easier for u to deal with since it appears u have been in the WLS game for awhile, are down a significant amount of weight (from 402 to 249), and have had time to mentally adjust to how quickly, or slowly, YOUR body loses weight. It's easy to forget that u too were once first out of WLS and eventually stalling in ur weight loss and wondering if u were doing the right or wrong things. You used to weigh 402lbs, those feelings must have come up. So why are u so judgemental of others that have them now?

Folks are here for support, not to be shamed or told to get over it and 'stop whining'. So, of course she would get defensive if someone tells her that! It's inappropriate, and since when has that ever been a proper way to empathize and encourage? Is it really necessary to vocalize your annoyance, for no reason, or is it more appropriate to just move on to a different thread, one where u can offer support, suggestions, and inspiration based on your experiences?

No, I’m not a physician, however I am a doctor. I’m a psychologist. You can chastise me if it pleases you, but it won’t change anything about me. I am not here to coddle. Coddling does not help anyone. It only encourages this type of self sabotaging behavior.

This poster isn’t interested in any suggestions that don’t immediately fit what she wants to hear. She has already proven that by jumping down the throat of others. I will call that type of behavior out every single time I see it.

I’m sorry you don’t seem to approve of how I deal with things. That’s your right. However, I’m certain there are things you may do or believe that I wouldn’t approve of. That’s the beauty of human beings. Believe what you will. Think what you will. Do what you will. And so will I.

On 10/11/2017 at 0:58 PM, Alex Brecher said:

Reminder: Please everyone read the forum rules you agreed to abide by when signing up for an account here https://www.bariatricpal.com/guidelines/. The cursing and calling each other names need to stop, immediately! If this behavior continues, we will suspend accounts permanently and without any warning.

Can I block users? I'm sickened by the abusive behavior of two commenters in particular. I'm new and I won't be sticking around if posts like the ones by Abielle and Johnny Cakes are tolerated. It's very poor forum management to allow people like this to prey on new users. They're essentially trolls.

Edited by stroral
Incomplete

1 hour ago, Abeille213 said:

No, I’m not a physician, however I am a doctor. I’m a psychologist. You can chastise me if it pleases you, but it won’t change anything about me. I am not here to coddle. Coddling does not help anyone. It only encourages this type of self sabotaging behavior.

This poster isn’t interested in any suggestions that don’t immediately fit what she wants to hear. She has already proven that by jumping down the throat of others. I will call that type of behavior out every single time I see it.

I’m sorry you don’t seem to approve of how I deal with things. That’s your right. However, I’m certain there are things you may do or believe that I wouldn’t approve of. That’s the beauty of human beings. Believe what you will. Think what you will. Do what you will. And so will I.

I wouldn’t come to you EVEN IF I NEEDED help. You seem like a horrible person. Besides that I already had my psych evaluation and was cleared for surgery. If you had any sense you’d know that after a major surgery it’s okay to be fearful of if I’m doing the right thing or not. So why don’t you bounce off my post and worry about fixing yourself. Obviously as a doctor that didn’t prevent you from tipping the scale at 400 pounds. So why should I listen to anything you have to say, you couldn’t even listen to yourself.

STOP POSTING ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY.

Thank you to those you kindly approached me with solutions and your wisdom. I appreciate the help.

If anyone knows how to delete this post, please reply to this. Thank you