Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery didn’t work?

2 hours ago, Aleathia said:

I had gastric sleeve almost a yr ago. I didn't lose any weight for 7 months! AndMy NUT had me eating Pasta and all brown of course. She had me eating 1500 cals a day.

Once I cut out the breads, it was like I did a reset. I lost 16 lbs in the 6wks with my new NUT.

Yours is a very interesting story. There are people for whom surgery fails, but I hadn't run into any on the board. I'd love a bit more info.

Stats.. height, starting weight, current weight.

During the first weeks postop, before you could eat all those calories and bread, did you lose weight? What were you consuming at that time?

What happened on the preop diet? (What did your preop diet look like?)

On a personal note: the last diet I tried before deciding to get surgery was a gluten free/sugar free one. I stayed on it for 6 weeks and lost 15lbs. I didn't count calories (but they were assuredly lower than normal).

I appreciate your help!

I used to feel the same way as you! I think it was my excitement for the weight to be gone after going through something like surgery. I watched people that started around the same weight as me post about their success and their weight wad dropping so fast while I had stall after stall after STALL. Once I healed more and was able to eat more food aka Protein, that's when my faster weight loss started. I just had to be patient, trust me I know it's hard. I had my surgery July of 16 and now I'm going between 188 -184. I notice though my weight slowly goes down. For a month or so I'm 197-194... then 195-189... so it's very slowly going down. I know I should weigh around 145, but honestly I'm so happy with my current weight if I don't lose more I'll still be thankful for what I have lost! Keep going and keep positive!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I also wanted to second it sounds like you're not eating enough Protein. Check in with your NUT. You're working out a lot and putting no fuel in your body.

15 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Yours is a very interesting story. There are people for whom surgery fails, but I hadn't run into any on the board. I'd love a bit more info.

Stats.. height, starting weight, current weight.

During the first weeks postop, before you could eat all those calories and bread, did you lose weight? What were you consuming at that time?

What happened on the preop diet? (What did your preop diet look like?)

On a personal note: the last diet I tried before deciding to get surgery was a gluten free/sugar free one. I stayed on it for 6 weeks and lost 15lbs. I didn't count calories (but they were assuredly lower than normal).

I appreciate your help!

HW: 276 at the start of my 6mon req program

SW: 244

CW: 199

HT: 5ft1

GW: 125-135 whatever looks good on me, lol

My 1st pre-op diet was 2wks long. I had 2 shakes a day, broth w/very little egg noodles, sugar-free pudding and sugar-free pops. My 1st attempt at surgery failed. They couldn't get the tube down my throat. Blood started to come up, so they aborted the surgery. I was so depressed. Had to go for testing and started to eat my feelings. After not being able to eat for 2wks and know I have to do it all over again was terrible. I'm glad they stopped though, found out later they could've punctured a lung. Gained 9lbs back, but was able to lose it during my 2nd pre-op diet. My surgeon cut me a break since I had lost 30 lbs during my 6mon program and only made me do this pre-op diet for 1wk instead of 2. I had lost 28 lbs in the 1st 3mons. That's when my NUT gave me my plan. Before that, I was eating very little. I would have oatmeal with Protein mixed in, shakes, yogurt w/protein mixed in, eggs. I kept a log of my weight from the time I started my program when I went back, I noticed the weight loss stopped after she gave me that plan. I didn't realize this until I was meeting with my new NUT. My new NUT asked what I had been eating when I told her she couldn't believe it. When I cut out bread, Pasta, and rice I lost 8lbs in a week. Good luck on your journey and don't be afraid to question your doctors, they have a lot on their plate.

Ahh.. I see.

First off, you are very petite. 1500 calories is appropriate for a 6'4 male bariatric patient (and most of THEM don't eat that much during weight loss).

Your new nut sounds much more knowledgeable. Did she recommend a calorie count? 900-1000 is probably a good level for you. (If she recommended less, that is ok too.. time is of the essence at this point).

You will need to stay away from grains for the entire weight loss period, and possibly forever. Starchy veggies (beans and potatoes) can take their place when appropriate. (Some people have problems with potatoes, but I suspect it isn't the potato that's the problem.. its the butter, sour cream, bacon, and cheese they load onto said potato.)

When we tried gluten free, we were starving All. The. Time. This time we aren't hungry. I'm not because of the surgery, but my hubby isn't hungry, and he didn't have it.

The only difference I can tell is Beans. We now eat black, kidney, or pinto beans every day. (He eats 7oz, I eat 3.5oz, drained). We eat them with eggs (me 1, him 2) and salsa, no added fat other than what is in the eggs. We were pleasantly surprised to find that when eaten every day, gas isn't an issue.

Yes, that's what made my new NUT mouth drop to the floor. She also had me eating 112g of Protein. My new NUT said to aim between 800-1000cals and 60-80grms of protein.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am so glad you posted this -- I've been meaning to watch it for weeks, and WOW!!! The surgeon is laying out some really provocative ideas that make perfect sense! My surgeon pushes us into physical therapy both before and after surgery , so I have that covered, But what really grabbed me, and may be why you posted it on this thread -- you gotta get your head straight and your eating straight, top priorities post-surgery. I'll be watching this again, and his other videos. :-)

Just be careful with the doctor in this video. His ideas have been repeatedly debunked by a multitude of bariatric surgeons. There’s a ton of research that goes against everything he says. I think a lot of WLS patients listen to him because they want to believe he’s right. Don’t exercise after surgery?? Awesome! It sounds great, right? But there is zero scientific research to support his claims and a ton of scientific research that debunks his claims. So, just keep that in mind.

Bariatric surgeon Duc Vuong, MD has a YouTube video titled, “Why You Should NOT Exercise After Weight Loss Surgery.” It is 27 mins long and very interesting. I also enjoy his other videos on YouTube.

Just be careful with the doctor in this video. His ideas have been repeatedly debunked by a multitude of bariatric surgeons. There’s a ton of research that goes against everything he says. I think a lot of WLS patients listen to him because they want to believe he’s right. Don’t exercise after surgery?? Awesome! It sounds great, right? But there is zero scientific research to support his claims and a ton of scientific research that debunks his claims. So, just keep that in mind.

On June 12, 2017 I had my gallbladder removed, my lapband removed and revised to an RNY.

HW: 402, SW 306, CW 249, GW 185

now see... pain and throat problems is something to complain about. losing 16lbs a month is not.
fact remains that lately there has been a rash of b*tch sessions (mostly from women... conclude from that what you will) about not losing weight fast enough even though they are losing at the rate of 15-20lbs per month. likely because they cruise these forums and see 400+lb men who lose 25-30lbs in their first few months and greedily want the same.

Yes! I am soooo freaking tired of the whining, “omg I’m ONLY losing 15-20 lbs a month it’s so unfairrrrrrrr!!!” Like, seriously?

i'm a runner with a resting BPM of 44 and blood pressure of 115/70. but thanks for the recommendation.
let me ask you... if you are "doing what your doctor and nutritionist want you to do", and aren't going to take any advice from anyone on here... then what is the purpose of this thread? just to b*tch? :lol:

God I love you

On June 12, 2017 I had my gallbladder removed, my lapband removed and revised to an RNY.

I am new to this game, but i am reading blog and vlog. Dr. V says exercising too early in the game is sabotage. The nurse in me says this makes sense. Exercising causes your body to want more calories. But with surgery we have smaller stomachs in order to consume smaller meals. Your body sounds like its craving morein order to meat physical demands. I haven't been sleeved yet but my twin sister was sleeved on 7/26/17 and shelter started immediately exercising and hunger grew in intensity and in turn she wanted to eat more. She would eat more and get sick. Li ke guys said earlier, she increased her Proteins and it helped lessen hunger. Thanks go sharing definitely will keep these things in mind when i a m sleeved 11/30/17. Stalls r inevitable but the weight didn't arrive overnight so give it more time. Keep everything in journal the good, bad and the ugly. It helps me in the know as far as intake. Good luck u can do it.

Exercise has its time and place. But, when taken to excess, is more harmful than good. Excess depends on the individual circumstance, and can be a surprisingly small amount. (For example, doing toe touches the day after surgery).

Bariatric patients tend to get super excited about their journey to health, and like to overdo too soon.

My personal thinking is the human body isn't designed to carry so much weight. I love rules of thumb. So, a fit person of normal weight can carry a 50 to 80 pound pack on a hike without hurting themselves too much.

So, smaller women shouldn't start doing super intense exercise until they are about 50lbs from goal, and larger men ..80lbs. Now, what is super intense? Multi-mile runs, heavy weights, HIIT, and bootcamp type stuff.

Walking, yoga, swimming, bike riding, light to moderate weight lifting... all these things can be done as they are comfortable and doctor approved.

I am new to this game, but i am reading blog and vlog. Dr. V says exercising too early in the game is sabotage. The nurse in me says this makes sense. Exercising causes your body to want more calories. But with surgery we have smaller stomachs in order to consume smaller meals. Your body sounds like its craving morein order to meat physical demands. I haven't been sleeved yet but my twin sister was sleeved on 7/26/17 and shelter started immediately exercising and hunger grew in intensity and in turn she wanted to eat more. She would eat more and get sick. Li ke guys said earlier, she increased her Proteins and it helped lessen hunger. Thanks go sharing definitely will keep these things in mind when i a m sleeved 11/30/17. Stalls r inevitable but the weight didn't arrive overnight so give it more time. Keep everything in journal the good, bad and the ugly. It helps me in the know as far as intake. Good luck u can do it.

Just be careful about Dr. V’s “no exercise is good” claims. There is no research to back up his claims and tons of research that say he is wrong. Many bariatric surgeons have come out fiercely against what he says. There are also some really shady things about Dr. V in terms of the money he makes on his vlogs and how he has been accused of saying these things only to make money. Meaning, he puts out a video that everyone wants to believe is true. Because of course we want to be told exercise is bad, right? So, because of that, the video spreads like wildfire and he’s making bank. I’ve read a lot about this and the money wall that is behind us Facebook page. I really don’t trust him, especially considering he very plainly stated that he’s not a bariatric surgeon (he’s a general surgeon) but he chose to learn how to do the sleeve operation because there are so many fat people he knew he’d get rich. He actually said this. I don’t trust him at all.

Exercise has its time and place. But, when taken to excess, is more harmful than good. Excess depends on the individual circumstance, and can be a surprisingly small amount. (For example, doing toe touches the day after surgery).
Bariatric patients tend to get super excited about their journey to health, and like to overdo too soon.
My personal thinking is the human body isn't designed to carry so much weight. I love rules of thumb. So, a fit person of normal weight can carry a 50 to 80 pound pack on a hike without hurting themselves too much.
So, smaller women shouldn't start doing super intense exercise until they are about 50lbs from goal, and larger men ..80lbs. Now, what is super intense? Multi-mile runs, heavy weights, HIIT, and bootcamp type stuff.
Walking, yoga, swimming, bike riding, light to moderate weight lifting... all these things can be done as they are comfortable and doctor approved.

What are you basing this on? Just what makes sense to you or do you have some peer reviewed studies? I would love to read articles that address this based on science.

I did plenty of intense exercise when I was far from goal and continue and it didn't hurt my weight loss, helped me build muscle to increase my resting metabolic rate and it didn't increase my appetite until after I got to goal. I would caution against applying my own personal experience across the board to everyone, but just saying it didn't hurt me any. So I would love to read some science that addresses the matter.