Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first official R&R...Bandsters who dont know a damn thing about banding

And on the same vein, that's the beauty of a talk forum. People are allowed to ask all sorts of questions and if you don't feel like answering them you are more than welcome to ignore them. :)

... even if the EXACT same question has been asked (and answered) no fewer than 5 times the week before? AND the answer is posted in the FAQ.

it gets old, that's all. and yes, I do ignore a lot, but when you click 'new posts' and all that comes up is What is a PB?? or I ate this on day 3, is it ok?? it gets frustrating.

Thank you for your responce. I fully expected my comment to just start another round of flaming. I understand how you feel, it does get frustrating. Those questions will always continue popping up. There will always be people that come on and start posting without looking around. It's a given. One can either ignore them or point them in the right direction. I choose to ignore (but then I feel guilty, cuz I'm Catholic, LOL).

You know for the life of me, I can not figure out why people would get annoyed over the same questions over and over. Just because an answer was posted 2 weeks ago, doesn't mean that it is easily accessible to the person doing the questioning. If it is a question you don't want to answer, just don't.

When I started posting over 2 years ago on another board, I was totally new to internet communicating and message boards. Never had a desire to communicate with strangers. But when I was contemplating the band I could see that I was in a whole different world. There is no figuring this stuff out on your own. So I needed to ask questions. I asked on the board and I did research. I was amazed at how helpful and understanding people were. It made me feel good about being part of a lap band support board.

I am a person who likes to figure things out by themselves and I really didn't ask questions that I thought would make me seem dumb. Well I figured out that LOL meant lots of love. I would answer very serious posts that were no laughing matter and sign them off LOL. No one ever said anything but I thought that sometimes my nice supportive posts were not going off so well.....Only later did I learn that it means Lots of Laughs!

And Yes this is harder for some folks than others. Some people lose weight with the band better than others through no special effort of their own. Some struggle for reasons they have no control over and they just plain struggle because they are addicts and are sick of dieting. It is a rather rude awakening when you find out that the weight is not pouring off the way it does for some. Now I realize that there are people who diet and exercise there asses off after they are banded. I wish I could do that. I am taking the scenic route. I don't complain about being a slow loser much because I realize that I am not doing everything that I could. Does it make me a bad undeserving banster. No. I don't do dangerous stuff like force myself to puke or eat until I hurt. I followed my Drs. post op orders and then some. I make the wrong choices, lots. I am a food addict. I don't apologize for it, nor do I want sympathy. I am what I am. I am working on it, but I am a very stubborn case.

I just wish people wouldn't justify being snide, cruel and condescending in the name of being "right". It sometimes seems like they just like making others feel stupid.

What good is ones exerience if they are giving it out with a holier than thou attitude? Yes sometimes people need a kick and some honest assessment, but it can be done with grace and class.

I just wish people wouldn't justify being snide, cruel and condescending in the name of being "right". It sometimes seems like they just like making others feel stupid.

What good is ones exerience if they are giving it out with a holier than thou attitude? Yes sometimes people need a kick and some honest assessment, but it can be done with grace and class.

Amen to that - and also to Chica, Nana and coffee!! :whoo:

Linda

I guess that is the beauty of RnR, pretty much anything goes and if you dont like what you are reading, dont visit. :)

Yet no one is telling the folks on RnR not to post (at least not on this thread so it' s not a relevant comment). The folks on RnR however, are making fun of and trying to intimidate people with lots of questions, anxiety and eagerness into thinking they're morons and shouldn't post.

If you're that burnt out on newbies then stick to RnR only or step away from the boards for awhile. Getting a life is really underrated.

WASA, this is one we'll have to agree to disagree on.

In 2002, I did Weight Watchers for several months and lost 49 lbs. Got a little cocky, feeling good, all new clothes and half the meds.....let my mometum slip and spent the next 5 years battling to keep from putting it all back on....I lost, of course, and that's why I'm now banded, BUT....I digress.

I have my card where I weighed in as well as my journals where I recorded everything I ate. My Points range was about 31 points per day. If you look at the weeks were I was really working it and eating 25 pts or less 4 or more days....my weight loss would be .5 to 1.0 lb.

But, if you look at weeks where I ate 33-35 pts per day 4 or more days, I would lose 1.5 to 2 lbs. This was consistent across the span.

Now I don't have your medical training, but I have had my diabetes explained to me enough to understand that this has to do with being resistant to insulin and is not some inexplicable phenomenon or just a myth.

It DOES happen. I've been on here pouting for WEEKS because I was stuck. I'd lose two lbs and sit there for three weeks before I'd lose another pound or two and sit at the new number a month. SO - I increased my carb intake and I've lost two lbs each of the last two weeks.

I'm sure that the logic of what you are saying would kick in....if I consistently held myself to 1000 calories for many months, of course, I would eventually lose. BUT, my body will fight it by killing all of my appetite and switching off my metabolism. So, if you're only taking in 1000 and your metabolism 'thermostat' gets dialed back to 800 calories burned per day. Then you're still STORING 200 calories a day, right?

As we have discussed before, you are in a different boat with diabetes, insulin resistance, etc.

But the reality is such, you are not going to lose faster by having double the calories to burn. It just isn't going to happen.

Thank you for your responce. I fully expected my comment to just start another round of flaming. I understand how you feel, it does get frustrating. Those questions will always continue popping up. There will always be people that come on and start posting without looking around. It's a given. One can either ignore them or point them in the right direction. I choose to ignore (but then I feel guilty, cuz I'm Catholic, LOL).

Flaming? Who is flaming you? Disagreeing with your point of view is not flaming, it's communication.

Does everyone who disagrees with you flame you?

As other have posted, there is a pretty clear warning notice on this forum. If you don't want to heed the warnings we can't help you. If this thread offends you I'd urge you not to read it. If you believe anyone who disagrees with you is flaming you, we can't help you with that one either.

I was Catholic too at one time. :)

Yet no one is telling the folks on RnR not to post (at least not on this thread so it' s not a relevant comment). The folks on RnR however, are making fun of and trying to intimidate people with lots of questions, anxiety and eagerness into thinking they're morons and shouldn't post.

If you're that burnt out on newbies then stick to RnR only or step away from the boards for awhile. Getting a life is really underrated.

The Monday after Thanksgiving I received no less than 50 PMs from people. Most of them had the usual T-Day depression. Either they wanted to eat and couldn't, or they wanted to eat and did. Mind you, 50 PMs. Not from 50 different people, but people that were in need and PMing back and forth especially throughout the morning.

I did not ignore a single PM. I responded to ALL of them. I typed until my fingers were numb. If I objected I wouldn't have done that. If we are all such raving bitches around here why are we all getting PMs from people in need?

Amazingly, I didn't tell a single person they were repeating what is already posted, I didn't provide links to where it was already posted. I didn't refer them to anyone else. I didn't do any of that, I wrote everything out for each person according to what their questions were to the best of my ability.

If I want one place to come and kick back without little annoying Poodles attached to my ankle screaming, "MEANIE!!" then so be it. That place is here.

Some people whine about the way others help, some people critique the way others do it. Some stomp their feeties and play holier than thou. Some people appoint themselves as the "nice" police.

The rest of us get out there and do it.

As I have not been on forums for very long I guess I missunderstood the meaning of "flaming". I assumed that was when you post a message, people don't like what you said and they start responding with snide or sarcastic remarks. That's what I was expecting. So my apologies for using that word, didn't realize what it meant. Actually I still don't! And I hadn't asked for fear of ending up on the dreaded newbie questions list. And no I don't mind if people disagree with me, but no one was disagreeing. All I was doing was pointing out that just like someone can ignore the RnR section others can ignore stupid questions.

There is nothing wrong with venting. We all do it. And from what I've seen from all of these people venting, they all have been here a long time and they have all been helpful. I think of R&R as the "Employee Lounge" where they get away and talk about their problem customers. I work in Customer Service, and I give GREAT service while I'm working. But let me get around co-workers, and we will laugh and snort about a question we got that was soooooo ridiculous. I think it's healthy to vent. I for one appreciate the humor, and I don't feel that it's mean-spirited. If you were offended, then clearly you took it personally...and that would be your issue.

There is nothing wrong with venting. We all do it. And from what I've seen from all of these people venting, they all have been here a long time and they have all been helpful. I think of R&R as the "Employee Lounge" where they get away and talk about their problem customers. I work in Customer Service, and I give GREAT service while I'm working. But let me get around co-workers, and we will laugh and snort about a question we got that was soooooo ridiculous. I think it's healthy to vent. I for one appreciate the humor, and I don't feel that it's mean-spirited. If you were offended, then clearly you took it personally...and that would be your issue.

I think you are my new favorite poster. :)

I tend to agree with you. If people were flaming the newbies when they ask these questions I'd agree with the nice police. But we aren't. I think most anyone here would do just about anything they could for anyone posting.