Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Required weight loss.. concerned

Ok - I've been trying to lose weight for 1/2 my life and it hasn't worked. I've tried all the diets, and nothing. Now I have to lose 17lbs before surgery. If I haven't been able to lose anything in 25 years, how can I lose it now?? I know many before me have made that goal, but i'm really worried about this part. I'm on the diet they recommend but i'm also on insulin which can make weight loss a real pain in the rump roast. I've trimmed my food intake as much as I can and my BG numbers are under control. I'm going to step up the frequency of exercise (was exercising every other day) but I ache a lot after working out, so that can be a stumbling block.

I'd love to hear any tips from those who have gone before me!

How many calories are you eating? What does a day look like?

My FIL is on a lot of insulin, and as soon as we consistently limit his diet (small, regular meals), his insulin needs and weight go down.

So it's possible!

Exercise is nice, but not necessary at this stage in the game. Do what you can, but don't worry about killing yourself.

Ok - I've been trying to lose weight for 1/2 my life and it hasn't worked. I've tried all the diets, and nothing. Now I have to lose 17lbs before surgery. If I haven't been able to lose anything in 25 years, how can I lose it now?? I know many before me have made that goal, but i'm really worried about this part. I'm on the diet they recommend but i'm also on insulin which can make weight loss a real pain in the rump roast. I've trimmed my food intake as much as I can and my BG numbers are under control. I'm going to step up the frequency of exercise (was exercising every other day) but I ache a lot after working out, so that can be a stumbling block.
I'd love to hear any tips from those who have gone before me!

I know where you are coming from with having to lose weight before your surgery. I thought the same thing you did. If I haven't been able to successfully lose weight myself for the past 25 years, what makes now any different?
The difference is that you really aren't dieting this time. You are making a total lifestyle change that you will need to follow from now on. I lost about 12 pounds in 3 months with my doctor supervised diet and that was before I made any diet changes that I will follow from now on. I met my surgeon after my 3 month supervised diet and he gave me some tips and so did the NUT. I was told to cut out all soda and sweetened beverages. Also no carbonated drinks. Increase my Water or non caloric beverage intake to at least 64 oz a day. Try to cut as much sugar intake as I could and lower my carb intake too. Doing all of that made a huge difference for me and I lost some weight as I changed over. Finally, I started walking everyday. I just walked around my neighborhood and worked my way up to 4 miles a day-2 miles in the morning and 2 in the evening. Walking made a huge difference and it is important to your healing process after surgery. I decreased my pain immensely by getting up and walking as much as possible after the surgery.
And lastly, I tried out my liquid diet about 2 months prior to my surgery date. I did it for 2 weeks and lost 18 pounds prior to surgery.
You can do this! This is a life changing experience and is so worth it.
Good luck to you! [emoji3]

Replying to Calories and Exercise... right now it varies - my nutritionist said not to count cals. ooook. , the Physical Therapist put me on an exercise regimen, so I cant ignore that. I do hope my insulin intake can be reduced, but the Endo will have to make that decision. So much of this feels completely out of my control.

Well, if you don't count calories, then your natural appetite is gonna rule the roost, and you won't lose much.

Plus, when you count, you become aquainted with what is IN food.

This is your decision, you can count if you want to.

Here is what my hubby eats (without surgery) and has lost a bunch of weight.

Breakfast: 1 cup 1% cottage cheese and a piece of fruit.

Lunch: 2 eggs and a cup of pinto Beans with salsa.

Snack: 1oz nuts or seeds and sliced veggies (or 1oz Peanut Butter on 3-4 ribs of celery)

Dinner: 4oz of meat or fish, 1/2 sweet or white potato and green vegetable. No more than a teaspoon of fat added to your potato and veg.

Before bed snack: glass of reduced fat milk, graham cracker with 1 tablespoon peanut butter. (That's one of the big crackers that can be split into 4 pieces).

My hubby doesn't get the bedtime snack, but diabetics should have it.

It's about 1400 calories, and is nice and balanced.

LOL I don't just count calories, I have a spread sheet lol. you're right that if you don't keep track, it can get out of control before you know it. I lost 3 lbs since last week. yay me!