Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone: What was your turning point in your life that made you decide the wls route?

I had many reasons, but the only one that mattered was that I needed to do it for me. You see I had a lot of insecurities. An ex husband that said he did not want to be married to a fat person. Seeing family at a funeral and they all said I look like my grandma. She was short and obese as well. Couldn't walk without being out of breath, constant back aches, Pre diabetic and geez the most embarrassing was constantly wearing out the crotch of my jeans, because ya know them thick thighs... etc. Finally I decided that I am only in my early 40's. With both my children grown, I can do better than this. Its time for a change. This has been the single most important and best decision I have ever made. I am making progress, working toward being the best me I can be.

Aysia, so glad you are "losing" :)

xoxo, how are you doing? Did you have surgery already (forgive me if you have posted this somewhere else on the bariatricpal website).

I looked into WLS about 2 years ago but insurance wouldn't cover it because my BMI was just under 35 and my only co-morbidity was sleep apnea. My BMI has crept up and is now over 35 but more importantly, I had a heart attack in December of last year. Of course, NOW I qualify for insurance coverage.

I'm glad to be getting the surgery but in hind sight, wish I would have gone the self-pay route when I had the chance before having the heart attack. Btw, I had even gotten a stress test earlier in the year and everything looked good, so I was more than a little surprised when I went into the ER and found out I was actually having a heart attack. I expected them to tell me I had indigestion or something trivial.

After the surgery, I am hoping to be able to get off of at least a couple of medications my cardiologist has me on.

I used to be against wls until I ended up in the hospital with a huge kidney stone. I remember layin there feeling like a fat ass in the huge hospital gown talking to my mom and she confessed that 4 years prior when I had gall bladder surgery, the surgeon came out and was ripping my mom a new ass because of my obesity. She didnt have the heart to tell me until last year. I decided that day I would prep for gastric sleeve. 6 months prep and had the sleeve done dec 6th 2016. Starting weight 388 now i am 258. One of the smartest decisions I have made.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

For me it was two factors, my period stopped because I was overweight and I developed Metabolic Syndrome. And the second, my dad was diagnosed with Diabetes last year, and I was heading that way, my grandpa died from complications with Diabetes. So I decided to talk with my doctor and she agreed that wls was my best choice, so here I am 2 months post-op and about 20 kg away from my goal weight.

4 hours ago, Numbergurl37 said:

I used to be against wls

I think 85% of more of obese people feel that way initially. I'm not sure when or why the reality of past failed efforts bites into a person's psyche.

Ten years ago, I gave enough thought to WLS to go to a couple of information nights and do a lot of 'net research. Of course, back then, the mortality rate was 2x to 3x higher. And I thought the gym sign-up would work.

The beacon for me was 2015-now when my 1.9 metre tall (6'3") son-in-law went from 208kg (458.6 pounds) to 99kg (218.3 pounds).

It worked so well for him, I thought that the retired me could do it too.