Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone: What was your turning point in your life that made you decide the wls route?

I'm so looking forward to everyone's answers.

What made you decide to finally take your life back and have weight loss surgery? Was it for health reasons or for more emotional reasons? Was it one major incident or was a combination of things?

I will share my own turning point in the comments section.

There’s a great thread titled “what was your final straw that broke the camels back” . Check it out!

I have been overweight for as long as I could remember. Like most of us here, I would go on crazy diets, or severely restricting diets and lose some weight, but I would get sick and then fall back into old habits. Every time I would work out and get into a good pattern, I would end up sick as well. I had an extremely hard time giving birth with my son and had Hellp syndrome. Finally, I lost all the weight from that and was under 200 pounds for the first time in 10 years. I started to get chest pains and was told to stop exercising until they figured it out. The weight crept back on even though I was eating in moderation. Finally, they determined nothing was wrong with my heart. The past time, I joined the Y and I ended up in the hospital with pleurisy. They gave me dilaudid for the pain and it caused a vasovagal reaction and I went into cardiac arrest and died for 3 minutes. I found out through this experience that I have lupus, hashimotos thyroiditis, and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Pretty much a syndrome of autoimmune diseases. I was told that I would never be able to lose the amount of weight that I needed to naturally. So weight loss surgery was suggested and I got into a great program that takes it very seriously and considers it a lifelong lifestyle change. I read a lot of books and blogs and vlogs and posts on here. Finally, while I know due to my thyroid I may never hit my goal weight, I will be a lot healthier and my joints will feel a lot better. Surgery is tomorrow and I am so excited to start this new journey.

I want to live long enough to see grandkids, I was tired of being sick and tired all the time. I was missing out on my own life.

I have to have two hips replaced and they won't do it until I lose weight and I am sick of being able to anything with my grandkids.

2 hours ago, xoxococojay said:

What made you decide to finally take your life back and have weight loss surgery? Was it for health reasons or for more emotional reasons? Was it one major incident or was a combination of things?

Firstly, this ...

weight_narrow_1981-Sep2017.jpeg.ce31d401a8fe1d55fac6c92b1b88739c.jpeg

My ideal mass for my height is about 74kg (the red line on the graph). The graph charts about 25 years.

There's the yo-yo effect over and over (the thick blue line). Lose a lot; gain it and some extra; repeat; repeat; repeat.

I ate when happy, when sad, whenever ... but I would peter out eventually from work stress, change of role, new worksite ... whatever.

I tried 11 months of a supervising dietitian and a 26 days per month swimming program.

In the end, joint pain ... knees and ankles from carrying around more than twice my ideal mass.

Then, the very last consideration ... I turned 61 and the cut-off for bariatric surgery is 65. It was now or an early death.

Seven grandchildren need me around. I'm well insured. I can afford the 'gap' payment and the extras required.

I'm trading cash for a chance to enjoy a slimmer, longer future.

I tried all the fad diets, would lose 20 pounds, then hit a plateau. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, drink lots of Water, but continue to put on the pounds. Of course, my discouragement led me to eat unhealthy foods to "comfort" me. In February of this year, my PCP suggested I consider WLS, but I didn't think it was an option because I didn't think my insurance would cover it. I suppose I should have read my benefits better. I have high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and GERD. I am in higher education and have more than enough degrees to advance my career, but seem to get passed up for those promotions. So to answer your question, the turning point was a combination of gaining an additional 25 pounds in a few short weeks, feeling miserable all the time, embarrassed about the way my body looks (I'm attractive from the first chin up), and the co-morbidities that hold me back from living the life I deserve. I started my liquid diet today and look forward to 3 months from now when I have healed from the surgery and created some sort of normalcy for myself. I'm tired of the appointments, prep, and worry of what to experience immediately after surgery.

Yes, the pain! Sometimes I feel like crying by the end of the night because I've been on the go all day with my job. My sciatic nerve is compromised almost monthly, too. I'm looking forward to losing this weight and never finding it again!

25 minutes ago, CrissCriss said:

this weight makes my joints hurt.

Absolutely.

Big DITTO!

I'd been thinking for years about doing this. Last spring my blood pressure went through the roof. I didn't want to go on BP meds. I didn't want to be obese any more. I havelittle kids who need me as a single mom. I HAVE to stay healthy. So I did it in July. Best thing I've done for myself ever.

I had a stroke at 35 that took me down for 9 weeks. I've had another at 50 in addition to 3 TIA's. Was forced to close my restaurant business due to stress and no tolerance for heat. This was my dream and 35 years of my life, 23 of owning my own 200 seater steak/seafood restaurant. Started college and will graduate in Dec. with office degree, (hate it but, I started and I will finish) Weight went from 160-238--considered morbidly obese for my small 5'3 frame which was always small until all the meds. Drs couldn't control the blood pressure pushing 300, and suddenly diabetic pushing 300. Told me I would have to begin Insulin. I said HELL NO!!!!!! I refuse! Meds were only making health worse, and body was beginning to hurt,,,joints, muscles, leg cramps. Now granted, I didn't eat perfect but, I did and do eat fairly healthy. Recent pictures didn't help either but......INSULIN was the last straw. My insurance won't cover anything bariatric so I was a self-pay at $10,000. That hurt the pocketbook but, no Mexico chances for me.(Although I have read of great results....a friend did that and has nothing but bad health issues and no Dr. wants to do anything for her in the states. She's miserable and can't even work anymore and she's only 40. Since my day of surgery, no meds except thyroid,low dose heart, and anti-depression (1/2 pill) because they started me on those at 35 and they at a b***h to get off of. In my case I became suicidal (for no reason...happy life and young family at the time) BP and Blood Sugar has been fine since day after surgery. Aug 1 was surgery date, down 25lbs first month, only 8 since Sept 1--hit a 3 week stall, and in another from 7-9 weeks. Lost 1.2 today(won't count it until it lasts for 2 days.......I lack 2-3 lbs until I hit wonderland. My first goal...I plan a manicure (2nd in my life for a treat. Overall health with no INSULIN was my main cause, but now, I'm looking towards the weight loss. I'm still waiting for that ENERGY I'm supposed to feel but, maybe it will hit soon. At my age, I'm estimated to only losing to 175, but I'm going to hold out hope for about 150 since I was always 110-125 before all the meds took control. This has caused a complete life change, and large drain on finances (with lifetime bariatric supplements and probable gallbladder surgery) Gonna shoot for the best and take good care too prevent additional problems. I like my bones, and my teeth! :) SHORT ANSWER---Better quality health and future with my family and someday grandbabies. Best of luck to all of us!!!!!!

The moment that I started down this road was after I started having several health issues some of which my doctors could not even explain. I currently work as a Medic/Firefighter and was struggling with maintaining my weight as well as having to get new uniforms and was outgrowing those way to fast. I needed to get this under control, I lost my father due to problems that were related to his weight as well as issues acquired in Vietnam. I had to do better and had already tried quite a few diets and I actually was OVER the yo-yo weight loss/gain and trying the newest diet fads. I was sick and tired of being ashamed of my weight, or taking pictures with my shirt off, I was tired of barely fitting in a airplane seat, I was tired of not being able to get on amusement park rides due to my size. I was tired of sitting out on life and missing out on fun things with the family because I am ashamed of my weight. At one time I was down over 100 pounds and running a 5k in less than 27 minutes so I knew what it was like to be fit, I desired to go back to that point and get healthier. After trying another diet and gaining the weight back I decided to try this route and even though I am only a little over one month out from my surgery date I know that I have made the right decision and know that I am on the right track. I know I have this and am giving it everything that I have so I can live a longer happier life without the health issues that the excess weight brings with it!

It all started with my first trip out of the country. My best friend was getting married at a Mexican destination. Being a single parent (uh... hate saying that) I had limited funds but all my good friends were going. So to save some money I roomed with the grooms friend I had never met. Heard lots of wonderful things about him. Turns out he wasn’t so wonderful. Weather I came up with this in my head, or it’s true. I felt like he didn’t want to get to know me, be seen with me, or admit to rooming with me because of the weight I was. It ruined my whole vacation. We fought, I cried, and normally I’m just a easy to get along fun joking person. But I have never felt soo judge in my life. In that moment I knew this wasn’t the life for me. So 5 months later I am returning to Mexico to start a whole new journey, the one I should of lived from the start! In 10 days I am going for surgery!!! Can’t wait!