Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need surgery still? A reality check

Let me be agressive agressive, then. If someone had commented on my post that my weight would make them run to a surgeon I would be hurt. I think while your intentions may have been good, and that you were merely offering your opinion, it did not come off kind.

My main goal was to lift @wjgoup with support and I wanted to address that comment. I don't want to sabotage this post going back and forth, so feel free to reach me privately if you have any more to say .

1 hour ago, hap314ness said:

Let me be agressive agressive, then. If someone had commented on my post that my weight would make them run to a surgeon I would be hurt. I think while your intentions may have been good, and that you were merely offering your opinion, it did not come off kind.

My main goal was to lift @wjgoup with support and I wanted to address that comment. I don't want to sabotage this post going back and forth, so feel free to reach me privately if you have any more to say .

You can be any form of aggresive you like. It makes no difference to me,I do not take back anything I said, this post is not about you, I would run into the surgery room like I did at 244lbs so keep your feelings out of it.I made it clear it was because my health would not make that weight, nothng hurtful about anyone. I spoke the truth. Go ahead and be aggressive aggressive and make the post about you. I stick by what I say, you already said you have a superiority complex so I can understand why you make the post about you. I said what I said with kindness truth and honesty about what I WOULD DO. End of, I did not comment on YOUR post , this is not your post lol.

I can make it clear that I have no intention to 'reach you privately' on the account of this post is not about you if you do not like what someone has said scroll past. You missed the part were I said I have seen people 300+ healthy and so on and if they can do it on their own they should. You just wanted to find something to bring the post to you , weldone. I will not respond to you seen as the post was not about you. But I wanted to make it clear that we are not all like you feeling superior because we are under a cetain weight. Because you are that way its understandable thats were you think others are coming from.

Lets keep the post about the original poster now. Bye.

Edited by dreamingsmall

At this point, I think the OP's picture has the right expression.

I can definitely relate to ur question for the need to have surgery. The baractric program I was in required meeting with a nutritionist, writing down everything u ate and drank, when how etc. I started the program June 2016 290 lbs. I lost 40 lbs by just slowly changing my eating habits, I questioned whether to go ahead with the surgery or keep eating right, people said ur doing great u don't need the surgery etc. I chose to get the surgery which was fine April 2017, 6 months later I now weigh 178 lbs , I'm so happy I did the surgery, I feel great, and just wish i had done it years ago, I confess I had doubts all the way to the actual surgery but I did it for me. Just remember it's about you and we're here to listen and be encouraging. Good luck to you .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, hap314ness said:

@wjgo You are the only one who can truly answer the question of whether you should move forward with the surgery or continue making strides without it. Once upon a time I was a lot like @dreamingsmall. I thought of a number that I would "never" be and somehow felt superior for it. For me it was "well I'm fat but at least I'm not 200 lbs." And then I hit 200. But "at least I wasn't 250." And then I hit 300. Do NOT let a number on a scale determine your level of readiness for surgery OR your worth. If I were you I would direct this question to your surgeon/dr/therapist whoever is a professional and has experience with the emotions that go along with this surgery. They may be able to help you come to a decision. My other suggestion is to flip a coin. I've heard that if you leave a choice up to "fate" by the time the coin is in the air you already know in your heart which side you hope faces up.

Best wishes as you find your way, and hope you are getting support from friends and loved ones.

You just reminded me of something that I said at a younger age. I never got to 200#'s even when I was prego with both of my kids. So I said something that was really dumb. I told everyone that if I got to 200#'s you might as well take me out and shoot me. Lo and behold I got to 200. Then I told everyone if I EVER get to the weight of 300 take me out and shoot me. Both times it just kept on creeping up!! At each of those weights, I told myself well being 200 isn't that bad RIGHT how about thinking seriously that I NEVER EVER wanted to weigh 300!! I did get to 285#'s. Gladly, no one took me out and shot me!! It isn't funny how things get pushed aside. I didn't believe I would ever weigh those weights. We all have things that we do horribly to ourselves.

you may want to check out dr. Weiner on you tube. He has some good videos on why bariatric surgery works and dietary changes alone tends to not. being obese changes our metabolisms. Bariatric surgery is a metabolic surgery. His videos indicate that long term it is not about restriction...the reason it works is the metabolic changes that happen when they surgically remove or interrupt your hormones produced in the stomach.

I was a healthy eating fat person...because of my years of yoyo dieting I tanked my metabolism. when I was young, i would fight to get to a normal weight, when i was in my 30's i was fighting to get to overweight.. in my 40's the fight was to stay at a lower level of obesity...

the stats do say 5% will be able to maintain weight loss. they also say that for the most part those people in the 5% tend to work in the fitness/weight loss industry. They are people who are 100% all in because their livelihood depends on continued success with maintenance.