Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux/GERD - will this go away?

Had my sleeve gastrectomy end of April, 2017, so it's been 5+ months. Before the surgery I would rarely have acid reflux, now it's constant and without omeprazole, it really sucks. Omeprazole keeps it in check though what I am wondering is, does it get better down the line so one can get off it? My weight is near my goal weight, I feel better than ever.. just this stupid acid showed up and I want to rid myself of it sans PPI medications. Anyone tried any surgical anti GERD procedures like Linx or stretta? What's your experience with those as a sleever?

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Edited by Hope Assassin

I think Linx with the sleeve is still in the clinical trials phase. Dr Michael(?) here in Charleston is part of it through August 2018, but it's a nationwide trial. It's on my list to check into if I get reflux. I'm afraid to stop the Ppi, but it would be so nice to be off it!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the heads up Gurl, saw the study is in progress on ClinicalTrials.gov (ID: NCT02429830). Man I wish they'd speed it up :).

I'm about 3.5 years past sleeve surgery and I still have to take protantazole and Zantac. Went back to doctor and I have developed a hiatal hernia. I'm going to have it surgically repaired. Bring on the PPIs for so long has caused me to experience side effects. There are studies that show prolong usage can cause drug induced lupus https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4914530/

Mine is really bad, affecting my vocal cords. It is what it is and I'm farther out than you are.

I'm about 3.5 years past sleeve surgery and I still have to take protantazole and Zantac. Went back to doctor and I have developed a hiatal hernia. I'm going to have it surgically repaired. Bring on the PPIs for so long has caused me to experience side effects. There are studies that show prolong usage can cause drug induced lupus https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4914530/

When did you get acid reflux? Directly after surgery?

I couldn't handle eating much of anything for a long time. When I could, that's when it appeared.

I'm having a Ph test done in December to diagnose it, and then looking at options to alleviate it, currently for VSG's the best options are stretta or Linx.

If you haven't gotten it 5-6 months after VSG surgery, consider yourself lucky/blessed. Usually it shows up fairly quickly and I have only heard of one or so cases resolving on their own...

Chances are you're stuck with it for good if you are like me, I had episodes of it before the surgery but never really took PPIs and now after surgery without the PPIs it was like a constant burn.... fortunately 40 mg of omeprazole does the trick for me, however I'd much rather not take PPIs for life.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I had gastroparesis for years before the surgery. I suspect that is a function of that more so than anything.

I have GERD and I (think) im getting a sleeve next week. But from what ive read the reflux "should" get better around the 2 year mark. This has to do with the stomach expanding decreasing lower esophageal pressure as well as restoration of the angle of HIS.

How much of a difference it makes, well that I have no idea