Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Play A Round Of: How I Get My Protein Post WLS!

This is a typical day for me. I don't have any food volume/weight/type restrictions from my surgeon, but I am vegan. They request we get 30g of Protein a day and I get that without even thinking about it. I'm working on having more whole foods, but I've been kind of lazy. But hey, it seems to be working for me!

59d78aa609fb8_ScreenShot2017-10-06at9_48_29AM.thumb.png.78cae05e591e172b434ea3cba3e6035d.png

Right on! I'm a 6', 200-pound vegan man who had RNY in March 2016 and weighed 410 lbs (my peak was 432 lbs) before starting my pre-op diet. I weighed 387 lbs the day of surgery. Now I take in around 130-150 grams of protein and roughly 2700-2900 calories per day, but I do use Protein Shakes before and after my weight training workouts to help with muscle growth and repair, which has nothing to do with my WLS because it's a common practice for bodybuilding. Yesterday I had kidney Beans, meatless crumbles, granola bars, a couple of vegan protein shakes and a Protein Bar, vegan deli slices, a tofu scramble, mixed nuts, plus a ton of veggies and some fruit. It's too labor intensive to list every single item, but my macro breakdown was 33g carbs, 111g fat, and 143 g protein. I consumed 2793 calories yesterday.

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow everyone! This is such a fun game. It really helps add perspective doesn't it? Can we play more rounds coming up? I think having everyone tell at what stage they are then give a glimpse of their food/cals/protein intake is really enlightening! Thank you so much for all of you taking the time to play!!!

@dreamingsmall IKR?! I've just absolutely no real idea how much I will be actually be able to take in--and I anticipate it will vary from day to day according to my pouches will, LOL. My nut said that I should aim for 1/4c food per meal at 6 weeks. (We're having my 3rd visit on Tuesday, so will know a little more about the post op food schedule.)

Here's a fun egg fact from the USDA and The Kitchen:

1 small egg: 1.5 ounces per egg (about 3 tbsp)

1 medium egg: 1.75 ounces per egg (about 3 1/2 tbsp)

1 large egg: 2 ounces per egg (about 4 tbsp = 1/4 cup)

1 xlarge egg: 2.25 ounces per egg (about 4 1/2 tbsp)

1 jumbo egg: 2.5 ounces per egg (about 5 tbsp)

So maybe you're gonna be right and I'll only be barely able to get 1 large egg down at 6 weeks? I know I will be on liquids for 2 weeks post-op minimum, then will go through a puree stage, soft foods stage, solid food stage where I begin including cooked veggies, different Proteins, nuts/seeds, raw veggies, etc. The nut thinks it's gonna take at least 6 months to a year before I can get all my Protein in via food rather than Protein Shakes. Some of her patients use a shake for Breakfast or in their coffee for the rest of their life cuz it allows them to have meals that include more veggies and fruits rather than consisting solely on protein.

All of your menus sound really wholesome and delicious, btw!!!

Thanks for this topic! I am about 4 years out. As of last year I have fallen off the wagon and it shows and I'm really struggling to know/remember how to eat right. So I'm not. I started seeing a food therapist but she doesn't "get it" on how we are supposed to eat -- I think she is just good with behavior. My surgeon's NUT started out fantastic but then he turned into a robot that just said "you're doing great" even when I said I was struggling.

Anyway, I'm not going to post what I eat because I know I'm doing it wrong these days but will be looking at what you all are doing and use that to get back on track!!

Oh, and you would be surprised at how often my stomach does NOT tell me when I am full anymore. Sometimes it does and I'm so grateful but other times, I can eat and I have really intense hunger pains with growling.

Thanks to all who are responding as well!!

Edited by esskay77

1 minute ago, fogie said:

Where do i find this chart to track everything. calories fat Protein carbs in one place is great.

Sent from my LG-H830 using BariatricPal mobile app

I registered at MyFitnessPal(dot)com to use their database and logs. It's free and after about a week or so, you kinda "populate" your own food history. Food planning and logging is so quick each day--maybe 5 minutes.

Protein20 drinks really help me out. 0-4 carbs, 60-70 calories, and 15 grams of Protein in drink not too different from Propel in style and taste. I also love FairLife skim milk, which has twice the protein of regular milk. 8 ounces of that mid day helps with hunger, too.

I've stopped tracking for the most part except for spot checks a couple times per month so I will check today! I'm four years out and maintaining at goal, for reference.

Where do i find this chart to track everything. calories fat Protein carbs in one place is great.

Sent from my LG-H830 using BariatricPal mobile app

I use my fitness pal.

13 hours ago, robin125 said:

Right on! I'm a 6', 200-pound vegan man who had RNY in March 2016 and weighed 410 lbs (my peak was 432 lbs) before starting my pre-op diet. I weighed 387 lbs the day of surgery. Now I take in around 130-150 grams of Protein and roughly 2700-2900 calories per day, but I do use Protein Shakes before and after my weight training workouts to help with muscle growth and repair, which has nothing to do with my WLS because it's a common practice for bodybuilding. Yesterday I had kidney Beans, meatless crumbles, granola bars, a couple of vegan protein shakes and a protein bar, vegan deli slices, a tofu scramble, mixed nuts, plus a ton of veggies and some fruit. It's too labor intensive to list every single item, but my macro breakdown was 33g carbs, 111g fat, and 143 g protein. I consumed 2793 calories yesterday.

Awesome! So glad to see a guy vegan bodybuilder on here! My hubby is just starting to get into bodybuilding and eats similarly as you, though he's a few inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter. He's never been a big guy, so it's a change for him to eat all that food!

That's super low carbs! What Protein Bars and shakes do you use? He's doing no added sugar, so I'm trying to find a good healthy protein bar for him. Not sure if that exists without sugar though!

But for me, I'm a small-framed 5'5" woman so I will just dream about being able to eat 2700 calories a day! :lol:

Hello I'll play too:
Bkft : sometimes a 16 oz C of Rocket Fuel( Protein Powder, Decaf coffee, tsp of coconut oil. Or i might have 1 large scrambled egg & 1 microwaved bacon. Or 12 oz of Isopure whey Protein isolate with flavored water.< br>Lunch: left over dinner. Usually chicken & some veggies
Dinner: chicken breast either grilled or boiled, cauliflower rice, broc or spinach
Snack: Quest protein bar
I get 50-74g of protein, 575 cal, 48g of carbs or less, & 20g of fat.
Ill log a more exact of what ill eat for tomorrow on this page!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

17 hours ago, jess9395 said:

I use my fitness pal.

Ditto to MFP!

Another easy one to track your cals and macros is Lose It app. It saves to your devices and you can scan products or it knows them already. They constantly ask you to upgrade to pay but I was told the free part is good enough and so I never upgrade, and it's keeping great track of everything. It's fast and always with me on the phone.

Awesome! So glad to see a guy vegan bodybuilder on here! My hubby is just starting to get into bodybuilding and eats similarly as you, though he's a few inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter. He's never been a big guy, so it's a change for him to eat all that food!
That's super low carbs! What Protein bars and shakes do you use? He's doing no added sugar, so I'm trying to find a good healthy protein bar for him. Not sure if that exists without sugar though!
But for me, I'm a small-framed 5'5" woman so I will just dream about being able to eat 2700 calories a day! [emoji38]

I use Now Sports pea protein and also their Soy Protein. I switch off betwen them and do use equal to sweeten my shakes. I get the unflavored and add my own fruit, greens, chocolate, vanilla, etc. The pea protein has 24 grams of protein with zero sugar and 1g carb. The soy powder has 20g protein, zero sugar, and 1g carb. Both are in the $16 - $20 range with 23 - 27 servings. I've ordered Pegan protein bars online, but they are pricey, so I'm going to start making my own. There are several recipes online. Usually it's some variation of mixing a vegan protein powder, nut butter, Cereal, and agave or maple Syrup (I plan to use sugar-free syrup and sweetener to taste) and letting the bars firm up in the refrigerator. [emoji4]

I'm a 6', 200-pound, 50-year-old male with RNY in March, 2017. Starting weight - 410 lbs; current weight - 200 lbs.