Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Hunger.....it's real!!!

I am happy with the results but the brain hunger is really messing with me........I even had a dream about a large Italian sandwich with the works🍔 ugh I want everything in sight it's awful......I conferred witha coworker who was also sleved but shes a year out already and I asked have she as able to eat "real" good she said about 3 months out😱😱 she did howver not to go into old bad habits cause you will find yourself eating throughout the day and the lbs will start to creep up......I just need to hold out atleats till thanksgiving but oooooh it's Hard!!!!!!

It IS real!!! I'm currently laying in bed with full knowledge that I have no room for another bite but am still oddly 'hungry'. I've just told myself that the devil like my hunger is a liar and I will not pass anything through my lips that isn't Water. To me it's beginning to feel like the period pre surgery when I gained the most weight because I very often gave in to head hunger. It's a battle and it's on!

Head hunger is seriously real. I have to practice serious mindfulness. I take Prilosec 2x a day to help reduce stomach acid, which reduces my stomach acid so I don’t feel hungry as often. It’s amazing that stomach acid can make me “hungry” even when I’m not.

That’s so true, I love cheese and when I saw some in the fridge my mind was telling me I needed to eat some. I shut the door and the feeling went away. My mind tells me I want something but when I ask myself if I am hungry it always comes back nope.

2 hours ago, KateBruin said:

Head hunger is seriously real. I have to practice serious mindfulness. I take Prilosec 2x a day to help reduce stomach acid, which reduces my stomach acid so I don’t feel hungry as often. It’s amazing that stomach acid can make me “hungry” even when I’m not.

KateBruin, I was taking Prilosec 1X daily for my stomach acid. I started taking a TBSP of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother 2X daily about 4 weeks ago, and it really helped with controlling my stomach acid. My mom actually told me to try it as she used to suffer from acid reflux.

I stopped taking the Prilosec about 3 weeks ago, and haven't needed it since. Maybe it could work for you. It might be at least worth a try as long term use of PPIs can come with lots of nasty side effects.

Head hunger leads me to look in the fridge at least daily. Luckily for me, I have some very low calorie Snacks to chomp on when it happens. Laughing Cow cheese with raw celery, broccoli or carrots normally gets me through and normally gives me some good nourishment at the same time.

I don't look in the pantry, because that is where the Processed food Monster lives. LOL

KateBruin, I was taking Prilosec 1X daily for my stomach acid. I started taking a TBSP of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother 2X daily about 4 weeks ago, and it really helped with controlling my stomach acid. My mom actually told me to try it as she used to suffer from acid reflux.
I stopped taking the Prilosec about 3 weeks ago, and haven't needed it since. Maybe it could work for you. It might be at least worth a try as long term use of PPIs can come with lots of nasty side effects.

Thank you, I’ll give it a try. My doctor requires a PPI for 90 days so once that is up I’ll try apple cider vinegar. How is the taste?

Head hunger leads me to look in the fridge at least daily. Luckily for me, I have some very low calorie Snacks to chomp on when it happens. Laughing Cow cheese with raw celery, broccoli or carrots normally gets me through and normally gives me some good nourishment at the same time.
I don't look in the pantry, because that is where the Processed food Monster lives. LOL

Hahahahaha so true! Love it!!

Thank you, I’ll give it a try. My doctor requires a PPI for 90 days so once that is up I’ll try apple cider vinegar. How is the taste?

Not great, but you get used to it. ACV also has a host of health benefits. Google it sometime.

I'm almost 6mos out and the head hunger is so bad for me. I have found myself in a plateau for the past 4-6wks but as I'm reading through these forums I'm realizing my plateau is probably my fault...giving in to the head hunger. I'm thrilled with the weight I've lost so far...77lbs...but I think I can do better with controlling my intake. Originally I came out to the site to look up ACV experiences post-op. Thanks for the reminders everyone. I've really needed this! And I'm gonna try the ACV and see how it goes.

I get head hungry but when it comes to actually eating something, one bite and I don’t like the taste or it fills me straight up! I can’t cheat even if I want to? I struggle all day to find something to eat that I will like, food is no longer the same to me, I miss it but its the price I have to pay!

Yes.....eating now is not enjoyable it's now just cause we don't wanna get sick or pass out but that GREAT full feeling after eating .......hmmmmmmmm. Is no longer

Everybody complains about head hunger but nobody says it’s connected to food addiction, which drives the obesity, hence the surgery. Moans and groans instead of owning and taking responsibility people rather complain. People with serious head hunger issues ought to get their ass into OA or seek therapy and take control of their mind and thoughts in it. It’s that simple.

Everybody complains about head hunger but nobody says it’s connected to food addiction, which drives the obesity, hence the surgery. Moans and groans instead of owning and taking responsibility people rather complain. People with serious head hunger issues ought to get their ass into OA or seek therapy and take control of their mind and thoughts in it. It’s that simple.

Holy crap judgmental much? I was never an overeater and have had on and off bad head hunger. I gained weight because of various psych meds and autoimmune disease. Sounds like you need to get your judgmental ass into therapy more than the rest of us.

Moans and groans instead of owning and taking responsibility people rather complain. People with serious head hunger issues ought to get their ass into OA or seek therapy and take control of their mind and thoughts in it. It’s that simple.

Uhh...nothing about this process is 'that simple'. That's quite unfair and insensitive of u to say. People are complex and rarely are their issues 'black and white'. I don't think it's ever easy to 'take control of ur mind and the thoughts in it', when ur dealing with an addiction. And I'm going to venture a guess that most people on these message boards, including u, are dealing with/have dealt with an addiction to food, in one way or another, or we wouldn't be on here talking about and having WLS.

A little more empathy and/or words of encouragement out of u would've been nice, instead of shame, judgement, and ego. Besides, we come here for the community of it all, as most of already have people in our lives who think everything dealing with weightloss is 'easy if u just put ur mind to it'. [emoji20]