Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fighting Sugar Cravings

Do any of you have ideas to fight off sugar cravings? I used to never crave sugar until a couple of years ago and then it was mainly fruity candy and such, now after surgery, I seem to crave chocolate all the time. I do give in to these cravings with my Fiber One Cookies that I make (melted chocolate chips with Peanut Butter, a scoop of Protein Powder and a sleeve of Fiber One) instead of straight up chocolate bars and stuff, but even with these cookies, I feel like I'm losing a little control with them. I haven't gained any weight, but I also haven't lost any since the cravings got worse. I'd love to not have to give up chocolate, but that probably makes the most sense.

Protein Bars. They taste okay but not great and you will get sick of them fast.

chocolate Protein Shake

EatMeGuiltFree Brownies

Halo Top Ice Cream ( a proper portion not a pint)

There are lots of options that can fit your macros. I think it is easier to work with your cravings and find good replacements than to try and deprive yourself. There are plenty of Protein based low calorie options if you love chocolate.

Even at one year post-op, I still have 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon of sugar free strawberry preserves stirred in once a day. 120 calories, 13 grams of Protein, 6 carbs. It doesn't give me the same protein that I get from the meat I eat most of the day, but it does give a little sweet that keeps some variety in my day.

OutsideMatch.....What do you mean Halo Top Ice Cream ( a proper portion not a pint). Don't you know...a pint is a proper portion? J/K.

I love that ice cream. I haven't had any since before pre-op, but I will definitely indulge in it at some point in the future. As far as sweets go, I'm with you monalyssa33....I loved fruity candy. Any flavor of Skittles and Mike and Ikes used to be my favorites. I won't eat them now though, because they are straight sugar. At least there is Protein in Halo Top.

My wife's birthday was last weekend. I had a bite (just one) of double chocolate cake, and didn't really like it. It was too sweet, and the chocolate actually had a fake chocolate taste even though the frosting was made from real whipped milk chocolate. I guess my sense of taste has changed. That is a good thing though, because I didn't even want another bite of it.

Blizair09, that is a good idea. I have had cottage cheese with peaches, but never with preserves. I have some Smuckers sugar free strawberry preserves in the fridge. I think that I am going to have that for snack (or a meal) tonight to try it out.

20 hours ago, blizair09 said:

Even at one year post-op, I still have 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon of sugar free strawberry preserves stirred in once a day. 120 calories, 13 grams of Protein, 6 carbs. It doesn't give me the same Protein that I get from the meat I eat most of the day, but it does give a little sweet that keeps some variety in my day.

I love cottage cheese with strawberry jam, mmmm Reminds me of strawberry cheesecake. I have told others about this and they just can't wrap their minds around it. I love it!!

20 hours ago, blizair09 said:

Even at one year post-op, I still have 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon of sugar free strawberry preserves stirred in once a day. 120 calories, 13 grams of Protein, 6 carbs. It doesn't give me the same Protein that I get from the meat I eat most of the day, but it does give a little sweet that keeps some variety in my day.

I think you posted about this in another thread, I tried it and now I eat it almost every day! I take it a step further and put a few fresh blue berries, raspberries, or strawberries and switch out the flavor of sugar free preserves to blackberry or raspberry. It gives you the satisfaction of having a dessert type of treat, and it's pretty filling.

I eat an Oikos lemon meringue yougurt for my morning snack. Yummy! There are tons of different yogurt flavors out there.

I have lost my sweet tooth! These things still SOUND good to me, but now at 10 weeks out, if I put a tiny fingernail sized piece of a sweet thing like a homemade cookie into my mouth, it sindisgustingly sweet and I spit it out. I am so happy about that! So I don't eat sweets. If I crave carbs, I will have 2 oz of my homemade granola with hardly any sugar in it (made with a bit of maple syrup).

and if I crave chocolate, I eat 85% or 90% dark chocolate. One square is really satisfying. I love it and I lose weight every day. Maybe 9/10 days the scale goes down a couple oz or more.

This Procarenow.com sells a dark chocolate Calcium candy bar 500mg. (Half of needed daily supplement). It is very good, and usually save if you buy 3 bags. A little pricey but excellent.....you get your chocolate and calcium.

Just out of curiosity have you checked if you're low in magnesium. Craving chocolate is sometimes a signal that you may need added magnesium.

I supplement magnesium in a good quantity every night. It’s great for sleep too.

i don’t crave chocolate but I know 85-90% dark chocolate in small quantities is a great antioxidant and for someone who doesn’t tolerate coffee or tea, even a little square can “pick me up” if I am tired.

And eating it that low in sugar isn’t part of a sugar craving. I am thrilled that I don’t have sugar cravings, which used to run my life. To do it I had to go no sugar, no fake sugar, no fruit, no juice, no bread, when I started eating after surgery and focus on Protein and fat and veggies and resistant starches (for the gut bacteria and to be able to poop!)

After a couple of months I can make exceptions like one bite of fruit (like if berries are in a salad) here and there. Because now the craving is gone.

It’s upsetting to me that some surgeons’ nutritionists suggest or ok Protein Drinks that are sweet tasting, and jellos, and other things that DO act on the pancreas as well as affect which bacteria make up your personal gut bacteria population. Since the gut bugs create cravings in your brain, by starting anew with surgery, it is the PERFECT TIME to starve the old bugs who live off sugar, let them die out, and grow a new population in the following weeks who will crave good starches, seeds, nuts, resistant starches, fibrous veggies (eventually when you can digest them). I wish every sleever understood how important our gut bugs are to our immune system and our moods and our CRAVINGS. I’m so glad I don’t crave sugar and won’t even feel tempted by Halloween candy etc!