Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this my new normal?

I'm 18 days post-op, still on a full liquid diet. I have noticed that when I eat yogurt (the heaviest thing I currently eat) I am in the bathroom exactly 6 hours later, even if that is 1 am. I'm wondering about when I start eating solid food, will I always have a middle of the night bathroom run?

Also, when my intestines get active they are really noisy...like rumbling across the room noisy. Is all this just part of healing or am I going to have to get used to having an alien reside in my belly?

I have that same [emoji89] in my body as well. You hear it all hours of the day and night

Sent from my LG-LS993 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have that same [emoji89] in my body as well. You hear it all hours of the day and night

How far out are you?

22 days.

Before I had my surgery, I never had to get up to use the bathroom unless it was to go #1. Now, it's pretty normal that I'm woken up for more serious bathroom business (last night, for example). I think it will always be this way, and I'm four months out. My stomach used to growl really loud when I ate, but now it hardly ever does that. Occasionally, I'll have to burp after my first bite for some reason. One thing I thought was weird is that I only lost 8 pounds this past month, but I lost a full two inches off my stomach and thighs, and I haven't exercised as much as I did last month.

16 minutes ago, CJ Sunshine said:

I'm 18 days post-op, still on a full liquid diet. I have noticed that when I eat yogurt (the heaviest thing I currently eat) I am in the bathroom exactly 6 hours later, even if that is 1 am. I'm wondering about when I start eating solid food, will I always have a middle of the night bathroom run?

Also, when my intestines get active they are really noisy...like rumbling across the room noisy. Is all this just part of healing or am I going to have to get used to having an alien reside in my belly?

Nothing that is happening to your body right now will be a new normal for you. It may have some similarities.

You maywant ant to steer clear of dairy for a few weeks. Loose stool is not uncommon but won't be a daily happening.

Rumbling stomachs are totally normal. I named my stomach George of the Jungle. It gets better. Hang in there

You won't know what is normal for you until 1 year post-op at least.

Nothing that is happening to your body right now will be a new normal for you. It may have some similarities.

You maywant ant to steer clear of dairy for a few weeks. Loose stool is not uncommon but won't be a daily happening.
Rumbling stomachs are totally normal. I named my stomach George of the Jungle. It gets better. Hang in there

I love that...george of the jungle!! I may have to name mine too!!

You won't know what is normal for you until 1 year post-op at least.

Thanks! I thought that might be the case.

I am over a year out and I definitely have the rumblies in my stomach all the time. Doesn't matter what I eat. It's just that things aren't digesting fully so there's a lot more gas than usual. Also, I would get wet wipes for the bathroom. There's a lot of pooping going on and those help to calm down a little bit.

No runs for me but you would think there is a drumbeat contest in my belly at times with no regard for time of the day. I was so embarrassed in a meeting recently when the chairperson was talking and my stomach was competing on who gets loudest. I just kept a straight face and the stomach noise became the elephant in the room. Nobody said a thing but I am sure everyone heard it loud and clear. I am about 9 weeks post op.

58 minutes ago, KelleyM said:

get wet wipes for the bathroom

Reminder to Australian readers: wet wipes, even the one's marked "flushable" are not to be used in 97% of Australia's public sewage and waste-water systems.

If you do choose to use wet wipes, bag them properly and get rid of them in your appropriate council bin ... or bury them well under the soil if you have a big back yard and a non-inquisitive dog (or NO dog).

this has been great education for me lol
we are ds oct. 17 wife & I both

If it's a choice between getting up in the night to take a #2 and staying twice my ideal weight, I am happy to get up every night for as long as I live and as long as I have the strength to do so.

Q. Would you rather be obese 23 hours and 50 minutes a day or would you rather be slimmer until you die and give up ten minutes for a night visit to the household toilet?

A. Mmm ... let me see. Yeah ten minutes out of my life every night is too steep a price to pay. I'll stay fat and depressed, thanks, Earl.

As if!

My tummy rumbled for a few weeks post op. 1 year out and it is just normal sounds now.