Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and Gastric Bypass

Good morning all!

I am new around here and I've just started the process for Bariatric Surgery - my initial consult is October 10th. I have lots of questions for my surgeon but I was wondering what the experience has been for anyone on antidepressants... was there any obstacles as far as being approved for the surgery?

Thank you

Welcome! I would think you will be fine, as long as you can pass the psychiatric evaluation. Personally, I know that losing weight before helped my bouts of depression. But I've never been really diagnosed as "clinically depressed". Doc just gave me meds to take when anxiety got the best of me.

Welcome! I would think you will be fine, as long as you can pass the psychiatric evaluation. Personally, I know that losing weight before helped my bouts of depression. But I've never been really diagnosed as "clinically depressed". Doc just gave me meds to take when anxiety got the best of me.

Thank you for your response ... mine is mild and well controlled with minimum doses of meds... I think I'm just anxious about the whole "approval" process lol. It's like "passing" a test at school.

I am bipolar and was approved for my sleeve surgery in 2014 and then again for my bypass revision this year. I think they mainly care that you are stable and medication compliant, and that you aren't in crisis or neglecting treatment for mental health issues that would derail your success with WLS. I was able to use my own psychiatrist to do my insurance approval, and I believe he just wrote a letter explaining that I am in treatment and that he didn't have any concerns with me having the surgery. It's up to the insurance company what kind of clearance they will accept, so maybe call them directly to get the requirements. I also discussed potential malabsorption issues with my psychiatrist and came up with a plan for liquid medication immediately following surgery. My biggest obstacle was having a hard time with the liquid lithium that I was prescribed. It made me queasy and sometimes vomit, and so for a few weeks I wasn't getting enough medication. Luckily, it didn't seem to adversely affect my mood but I would recommend talking to your doctor about these sorts of things and having a plan for getting your medications to work.

I am bipolar and was approved for my sleeve surgery in 2014 and then again for my bypass revision this year. I think they mainly care that you are stable and medication compliant, and that you aren't in crisis or neglecting treatment for mental health issues that would derail your success with WLS. I was able to use my own psychiatrist to do my insurance approval, and I believe he just wrote a letter explaining that I am in treatment and that he didn't have any concerns with me having the surgery. It's up to the insurance company what kind of clearance they will accept, so maybe call them directly to get the requirements. I also discussed potential malabsorption issues with my psychiatrist and came up with a plan for liquid medication immediately following surgery. My biggest obstacle was having a hard time with the liquid lithium that I was prescribed. It made me queasy and sometimes vomit, and so for a few weeks I wasn't getting enough medication. Luckily, it didn't seem to adversely affect my mood but I would recommend talking to your doctor about these sorts of things and having a plan for getting your medications to work.

Thank you so much for the reply & information!

Hello

I will be 2 years post op this December. I started taking antidepressants like 2 month ago and do not have any issues. I been find and actually mentally happy. Best of luck.

I passed my evaluation yesterday. As long as you are making an attempt and keeping on meds, I think you'll be fine.

I passed my evaluation yesterday. As long as you are making an attempt and keeping on meds, I think you'll be fine.

Thank you for your response ... mine is mild and well controlled with minimum doses of meds... I think I'm just anxious about the whole "approval" process lol. It's like "passing" a test at school.

Hello
I will be 2 years post op this December. I started taking antidepressants like 2 month ago and do not have any issues. I been find and actually mentally happy. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for the reply & information!

I take antidepressants for clinical depression. I am just over eight weeks post op. Had a bad down day yesterday and when I saw my Dr she said we will have to increase it a little bit because you may not be absorbing it all. We will monitor and readjust if needed. Same with the blood pressure meds they were too strong so they have been adjusted down as well and next step will be without them. Diabetes medication I had to stop the night before the surgery and never went back on it. I hope all goes well for you and you get your surgery

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

I take antidepressants for clinical depression. I am just over eight weeks post op. Had a bad down day yesterday and when I saw my Dr she said we will have to increase it a little bit because you may not be absorbing it all. We will monitor and readjust if needed. Same with the blood pressure meds they were too strong so they have been adjusted down as well and next step will be without them. Diabetes medication I had to stop the night before the surgery and never went back on it. I hope all goes well for you and you get your surgery

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for your response... I’m looking forward to going off my diabetes & blood pressure meds!

The only day I didn’t take my Effexor was the day of surgery. I only took my lisinopril (BP.) the next day the nurse in the hospital brought it to me, and I’ve taken it since with no worries. Good luck!

Hello

I started taking antidepressants a few month ago and been 2 years post op and I been find. I think you will also be fine. Take it day by day. Things will get better. We are all here to help one anothe.