Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is off limits after post-op diet

I am 17 days from my Gastric sleeve procedure and I am trying a little mental prep work, after the pre/post-op dieting is behind me, what can I never have again or what should I avoid? I complete understand that I need to steer clear of the " bad stuff" like pop, sugar, carbs and stuff like that, but can I drink beer and eat a big 4oz. steak when I am a skinny little guy again?

I eat a 4oz steak all the time.. after the first 2 months and I was cleared. Might not finish it, but that's a different story.

Beer is carbonated and has alcohol, so should be off menu for at least 6 months to a year. After that it's a question of whether you still like it, or whether it likes you.

I eat sweets on special occasions, but mostly they don't taste as good. In general you'll be able to eat anything.. but whether you can tolerate it, like it, or should eat it.. those are different questions.

21 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

I eat a 4oz steak all the time.. after the first 2 months and I was cleared. Might not finish it, but that's a different story.

Beer is carbonated and has alcohol, so should be off menu for at least 6 months to a year. After that it's a question of whether you still like it, or whether it likes you.

I eat sweets on special occasions, but mostly they don't taste as good. In general you'll be able to eat anything.. but whether you can tolerate it, like it, or should eat it.. those are different questions.

Berry!! Did you just say no beer for a YEAR! What else am I going have for Breakfast now? Damn it!! guess it will be those egg things I hear all the kids talking about..

Thank you for your input Berry78, that is good news.. It is all going to be worth it..

Berry!! Did you just say no beer for a YEAR! What else am I going have for breakfast now? Damn it!! guess it will be those egg things I hear all the kids talking about..

Hahahahaha good one!

2 hours ago, Bary said:

I am 17 days from my Gastric sleeve procedure and I am trying a little mental prep work, after the pre/post-op dieting is behind me, what can I never have again or what should I avoid? I complete understand that I need to steer clear of the " bad stuff" like pop, sugar, carbs and stuff like that, but can I drink beer and eat a big 4oz. steak when I am a skinny little guy again?

I love your exuberance about your coming WLS. Wish I didn't have so long to wait for mine!

But I just have a question cuz we're all SO very different! No judgement here, just curiosity. I'm using this time while I wait for surgery to research all the things. All. The. Things. Trying to figure out and get my head in the game so I don't act like the movie Groundhog Day and repeat the weight gain after surgery. I do not want to ever have to lose weight a second time. So from the things I used to eat that are now sitting strapped to my ass (and have been for about 47 years), to the knowledge that once a food junkie always a food junkie...I know I have to stay away from certain things. One of those things would be beer (other than a once in a blue moon thing, or maybe only a pull off someone's bottle of beer).

Why would you work so hard, go through so much pain, money and endure so much upheaval, just to look forward to going back to eating and drinking the same stuff that got you to the dance in the first place? I've no problem with the idea of eating 4oz of a steak in the future. I don't believe that's what made you or I fluffy. But the beer? Um, yeah...not to mention that even after 6mos to a year, alcohol is really pretty hard on the liver. The surgery isn't magic. Things that made you fat before will still make you fat for future you once you start ingesting them again. You will be able to figure out how to eat around your restriction...

In my unsolicited pre-surg opinion, it seems to me, that a really good activity would be to look at the things that contributed to your present health situation. Catalogue them. Write them in red on your mirror so you read them every day--and often. Then steer your new anatomy and path so very far around those previous things that you cut a very wide berth from them!? Don't you agree?

I'm pretty sure you know that a 4oz of steak and big bowl of sauteed greens and garlic didn't make you husky. Right?

Sorry to offend you and not trying to kill your joy. Just seriously curious about what's going on in your mind right now as you process what's about to happen to you?

Edited by FluffyChix

LOL, you probably should have posted this in the Guys' Forum so I wouldn't fluffy in here and be a buzzkill! The dudes are much more mellow and realistic about stuff like steak and beer! :)

50 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

LOL, you probably should have posted this in the Guys' Forum so I wouldn't fluffy in here and be a buzzkill! The dudes are much more mellow and realistic about stuff like steak and beer! :)

I didn't thing this site was segregated and split into genders I am new on here, I can't even see a place to look for the men's forum, I am a little embarrassed I think all my questions I've asked are in the woman's forum, I will keep my questions to myself till I find the right forum... At any rate, I am very sorry to have offended you.. I sure didn't intend to strike a nerve or offend anyone with what was intended to be very innocent question.. I merely asked a question that was on my mind. I am not and I don't think any of us are taking this lightly in the slightest, We are all putting our lives in the hands of someone else. I was only looking for support and guidance, just wanted someone to say "don't eat fatty beef " or " I had to give up mustard because it upset my stomach.

Edited by Bary

Don't keep any questions to yourself, this is what the forum is for!! You didn't strike a nerve with me -- I get that you are just getting things together. Fluffy is exploring the same stuff we all are and asking a legit question -- I thing many women are more inclined to research things to death! :-)

All the best,

8 minutes ago, Bary said:

I did

I didn't thing this site was segregated and split into genders I am new on here, I can't even see a place to look for the men's forum, I am a little embarrassed I think all my questions I've asked are in the woman's forum, I will keep my questions to myself till I find the right forum... At any rate, I am very sorry to have offended you.. I sure didn't intend to strike a nerve or offend anyone with what was intended to be very innocent question.. I merely asked a question that was on my mind. I am not and I don't think any of us are taking this lightly in the slightest, We are all putting our lives in the hands of someone else. I was only looking for support and guidance, just wanted someone to say "don't eat fatty beef " or " I had to give up mustard because it upset my stomach.

Noooo! This is the General Forum :) There's just a lot of us women here. And I'm probably responding from a very female place. My apologies to you. I truly am not judging you. I really was curious to hear where you are in your head with processing this and what the picture of "life after WLS" looks like to you. "A pint and a steak" just sounds like a perfect guy meal. Which is why I said and meant what I said. The Guys' Forum seems much more relaxed and laid back about life after surgery--although it isn't very active right now, but there are some super guys there!

I'm not much on "off limits" stuff, but some things will be off limits to me and some things will definitely be on a once-in-a-very-blue-moon rotation. I hope steak isn't on that list. Beer, wine and alcohol, and "bad" fats such as transfats will certainly top that list because of their effects on the post WLS livers. I wouldn't want to have a surgery that is supposed to help reduce my fatty liver, while then going and drinking and it makes me develop cirrhosis because of how hard this surgery/and quick weight loss is on the liver. Big irony, yes?

Whoa...

Ok both of you's is good people. No one has stepped on anyone's toes.... at least not on purpose.

Bary.. it isn't split into genders, there just happens to be many more vocal women than men. You posted just fine.

Fluffy, you have gotten poor feedback in the past, so you're a bit defensive right now.. but you were trying to make a valid point, and I'm happy you did.

When we head to Mexico we miss out on all the months of nutritional counseling, so we do have to educate ourselves.

Bary was just trying to be funny about the beer/year thing. Sometimes nuances can be lost through text.

BUT, in case beer IS more than just the occasional indulgence, this is an area that SHOULD be addressed prior to surgery.

Jeez.. my typing with one finger on the phone, so I was late to the party.. glad everything is cleared up.

*shew*

It's all good.. I am just super nervous about everything so I am trying to keep my head in the game from today till I am back in a Speedo (I've never been in a Speedo). I have 7 year old twins that are with me half the time, so I have to treat them from time to time without tempting me at the same. I am really concerned about the do nots.. If there is something a Doctor tells people they can NEVER have again,, I guess I am collecting tidbits from everyone's experience on here..

I wish that I could say that I would never drink again, but that just won't be realistic for me. However, I hope to limit myself to 1 or 2 every once in a while. As far as the steak goes, it is harsh on my stomach. A grilled Cauliflower steak, marinated in Teriyaki sauce sounds good though!

I'm racking my brain for "nevers" and the only thing I can think of is soda (plenty if patients are out there drinking soda, so it's more like a personal "never") ...and maybe NSAIDs. Bypass patients really need to make NSAIDs "never". Sleeves may be more forgiving.

LOTS of patients become lactose intolerant. That's a "never" that is found out after the fact.

I couldn't do Protein Shakes postop so I made do with milk. Weird thing, right?

Spicy stuff and tomatoes bothered me for the healing period.. fine now.