Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have spent the past three days throwing up anything solid I have tried to introduce to my stomach. The first day I had broccoli and today grilled chicken. I eventually end up throwing up the food I eat. The food feels lodged on my chest and it feels tight and uncomfortable. I am frustrated being able to only drink Soup and liquids. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I thought we shouldn't even be trying solids for at least 3 weeks. We need to try smooshie stuff first. Oat meal, potatoes, etc stuff like that because our stomach is not used to digesting solids yet. Can someone who is post surgery offer some insight.

Sent from my LG-H901 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have tried snippets of stuff I did an egg salad today and got sick to the stomach, I ended up throwing up some and the rest just sat there like a weight. My doctor says sometimes we have to be hard headed to find out there are certain things we cannot eat right now. So I go and find the yogurt I'm allowed to eat in various flavors. You have to be creative to think of something that you might like

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I wasn't eating any solid Proteins until 4 weeks post-op. It could be your stomach just isn't ready for meat. Go back to what was working well for now. Are you following your plan? I know everyone's plan is different.

Stop eating solid food, period. By your body's reaction, you're obviously not healed enough to eat it yet. Like Apple1 said, everyone's plan is different - I didn't get solid food until 35 days post-op. No matter what my plan says or your plan says, they all say to roll it back if you vomit after "staging" up. Take it slow. That chicken will still be at the grocery store in a couple of weeks.

My plan had me drinking Water and broth days 1-7. Milk and Protein Shakes days 8-14. Days 15-21 were more like yogurt and pudding. Creamy and smooth, and just thick enough to need a spoon instead of a straw.

chicken and broccoli? I couldn't have imagined it.

My plan has from day 15 grilled fish, chicken, eggs fruits vegetables all well chewed that’s why I tried eating them. I guess I’ll scale it back until my stomach can handle it. I did my surgery in Costa Rica and the post op recovery plan is a bit different from what I have read online.

Even though it's in your plan doesn't mean you have to eat it now. Your body just probably isn't ready yet. Stick to what's working then try again with the meat in a week or so and see what happens.

6 hours ago, HappinessTheMeasureofSuccess said:

My plan has from day 15 grilled fish, chicken, eggs fruits vegetables all well chewed that’s why I tried eating them. I guess I’ll scale it back until my stomach can handle it. I did my surgery in Costa Rica and the post op recovery plan is a bit different from what I have read online.

Yes scale it back. We all heal at different rates and your stomach doesn't seem ready for denser food.

I'm at day 16 or 17, so we should be similar. My doctor's plan lists the foods you did, but follows by stating they need to be mashed or pureed. The nutritionist told us to think the consistency of applesauce. And that we should be able to mash with our tongues (you know, pressing against the roof of our mouth) any remaining bits.

I've successfully had, in 1/4 cup servings, the following after blending with a hand immersion blender. Or you could use a regular blender or a small food processor.

1) oatmeal with 1/2 tbsp Peanut Butter melted into it--when blending, I had to add a good bit of milk bit by bit because I cooked it too much

2) Hormel turkey chili with beans--but some turkey bits were too hard and I had to spit out (don't eat in front of anyone :-))

3) Chef Boyardee beef-a-roni--like with turkey, some beef bits were too hard

4) chicken noodle Soup with 1/2 noodles removed to save carbs and then blended. This stays liquid but is more substantial than the strained stuff

Things that I DID NOT have the BLEND:

1) Grits cooked really liquid with cheese. I added about 1/4 scoop of unflavored Protein Powder to add Protein. I use Isopure. You can order online.

2) Plain yogurt. Either plain Greek or Kroger Carbmasters (don't scoop up any fruit pieces)

3) sugar free pudding

For some good suggestions from someone who has gone through this, check out www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

I hope this helps you out. Your terrible reaction IS NOT common. I think if you go for softer, but high protein foods, you will feel better.

Yes, that is in my plan too. Technically, the only things my plan says i CANNOT eat yet are raw veggies, fruits with skins (gotta peel the skins 1st), beef and pork, grains (ie Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, popcorn, etc) and nuts. Everything else is game. I'm about 15 days post op and i was cleared to eat real food (chewed very thoroughly) after 1 week post op. My surgeon said after 1-2 weeks, our internals are healed. However, the re-routing of it all is not yet 'efficiently' working and our bodies need time to understand the new setup, if u will.

That said, chicken is one of the hardest for our new stomachs because its fiberous and can be dry before chewing, dry after chewing if chewed too much, or just simply hard to digest. I like what was said above: just because ur plan says it's ok, doesn't mean your body personally is ready. Just scale back to easier to break apart foods.

I've found canned tuna mixed with lite mayo, chewed generously, goes down wonderfully. Eggs, cottage cheese, morningstar spicy bean burger...those all chew up to mush and have no hangups in my pouch. But lemme tell u, I tried deli sliced turkey and holy crap...got stuck for over 6 hours! So even though I'm cleared to eat that stuff, i won't be for quite awhile!!

Bottom line, u won't hurt ur pouch by eating real foods at this point, as long as u can chew it up to mostly mush before swallowing. But also, listen to ur body and stop eating things it doesn't like right now. Try those things again in a month or so. We're works in progress! Good luck! [emoji4]

PS. Vomiting every time u eat solid foods (even when eating dime sized pieces and chewing thoroughly) is NOT normal. Scale back to liquids for a week, then try easing in again (like with eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt). If ur vomiting again, i highly recommend seeking medical assistance.

Your stomach can heal at about the same rate as your external incisions. So watch your outside incisions to gauge just how "healed" your stomach is.

The idea that the stomach has healed in 2 weeks (in my humble opinion) is malarkey. The swelling doesn't even go down until about the 5th week.

Everything I have read indicates a healing time of 6-8 weeks for the first layer of scar tissue to form over the staple line. Until this process is completed, leaks at the staple line are possible.

That first layer of scar tissue gradually is replaced by more permanent stuff. It takes 6 months to a year for the permanent scar tissue to be in place.

It's the same process on your skin. At first your scar is lumpy and dark, but over the first year it changes to smoother, lighter tissue.

51 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

The idea that the stomach has healed in 2 weeks (in my humble opinion) is malarkey. The swelling doesn't even go down until about the 5th week.

I agree. I don't know why some plans have people eating solids as soon as 1 week? Why would you even risk this? Crazy.

My plan won’t even allow me near solids until week 9!