Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Portion sizes

Okay this might be a stupid question, but I am confused about the portion sizes when you finally are able to eat solids again.

First of all what size portion did ur doctors tell you to eat whenever u have a meal?

4oz? That's what I was told .

Does this mean every time u have a meal you should measure 4oz in weight or 4oz in volume (1/2 cup)??

So confused !! Someone help

My guidance was ounces by volume, not by weight, which is a little confusing since most people use scales to measure out their food.

4 ozs is pretty much what I eat each meal. I use a scale. except when I'm out in public. at this point I know what 4 ozs of grilled chicken looks like so I'm pretty good to go in those situations.

I'm so glad you asked this. I am far away from surgery but have not been clear on whether the measurements were by weight or volume. Was volume what makes st were told to use?

46 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

use a scale. except when I'm out in public.

How do you use a scale in public to measure 4oz of volume of food ? Not weight, volume

1 hour ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

4 ozs is pretty much what I eat each meal. I use a scale. except when I'm out in public. at this point I know what 4 ozs of grilled chicken looks like so I'm pretty good to go in those situations.

Like I'm so so confused. How do u use a scale to measure ur 4oz of food. Ur supposed to eat 4oz in volume, not weight, yet the scale measures weight. Can you please explain this to me !?!?:$:$

Volume and weight are the same thing for different substances.

liquids are measured by volume - 4 liquid ounces of milk or yogurt (or a 1/2 cup liquid measure which is 4 oz.)

chicken or beef is measured by weight - 4 ounces is 4 ounces (which is slightly larger than a deck of cards or about the size of the palm of your hand if you don't have a scale or are out.)

Most scales will measure Fluid ounces and weight. But a good set of liquid meauring cups (the glass kind with the handle) are worthwhile to have around.

Weight has been far more accurate than volume for me. I use a scale for everything and I weigh everything in grams/ML because that is more accurate and makes more sense

Once you are allowed solids, it is unlikely you can eat 4 ounces of it at once. It took me months to work up to it. The exception was soft baked fish, but that is really a soft food, not a solid.

Even at 2 years, 4 ounces of solid food will still vary for me based on moisture content and the mood of my sleeve that day.

You don't have a book that tells you what you should be eating? I was allowed 2 ounces at first and even that was a stretch.

Also, this really isn't a question you should have to ask online or be confused about. You paid a team of people for this surgery, they should be telling you explicitly what you should and should not be doing. Make them.

Weighing your food long term is going to save you a lot of calories over measuring. In the beginning a WLS patient that is healing can't eat much, so it doesn't seem like this matters much. Long term, when you are stalled or can't seem to lose and you think your calories X they might be Y. These small calorie differene over the course of a day, week, month and year add up. Better to create strong good habits in the beginning and carry them on long term.

Volume-vs-Weight-1024x962.jpg

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

2 hours ago, ErinL said:

How do you use a scale in public to measure 4oz of volume of food ? Not weight, volume

I don't use a scale in public. I do weight, not volume. I've never been told to measure by volume but by weight. Volume changes, like 1/2 cup of popcorn is not 4 oz. 1/2 cup of chicken is WAY more than 4oz.

I was told 3 ozs not 4, and I use a mini scale that I can carry in my purse, it fits in the palm of my hand.

I'm struggling with eating 3 oz, I've had lots of issues since my surgery, I can't even keep most of my food down, and I suffer from diarrhea on a daily basis at least 3 to 4 times a day.

This very issue (weight vs. volume) confused the heck out of me preop, and the source of the confusion was the general idea that your stomach can hold 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup, etc.

Now that I'm postop, I realize that the stomach doesn't work that way. liquids go pretty much right through. I can eat 8oz of Soup, but only 3 oz dense steak. So ultimately volume doesn't mean a thing.

Weigh your food, and start out with 2oz of anything that is thick enough you need a spoon for. Eat slowly and stop at the first sign of fullness. You might only get down 1oz at first.

Once you are easily eating 4oz of cottage cheese or yogurt, it's time to pay attention to Protein and calorie goals, and make a plan for how to meet those goals. I'm 6 months out, and still stop at 4oz cottage cheese because ........ drumroll please....

4oz is a serving!

For the first time in my life, the recommended serving sizes of foods actually mean something....

I am a little over a year post op. Most of my meals are 3-4 oz in weight. I use a scale when I want to measure. I can push as much as 5-6 oz when drinking with a meal, so ne cautious and follow guidelines for drinking. Depending on the food, I may be unable to finish a 4 oz portion. Also, I stay full for several hours so choosing nutrient-rich foods is imperative.