Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hole in lap band

This is my first time on here. So I apologize if this has gone around before. I need some guidance and help.

I had my lap band put in about 6 years ago. The surgeon that did put in has moved out of state, so I went to another doctor for a fill.

The first visit he poked around with out an ultra sound, said he put 2 in, but felt no restriction. Went back 2 weeks later, he had a hard time finding the port again. So this time he did an ultra sound to find the port. He told me he thinks he missed it last time, because there was hardly any Fluid in there. So he put 2 more in. Still no restriction. Went back again, he said he thinks there must be a hole. It was fine until I went to see him. He was very nice and knew he put a hole in it.

I paid him $300. And now I just got another bill for $200.00!

I am so sad, now I have a port in that does not work. To make it worse I paid $16,000 self pay for the original surgery.

Any advise!!

Hi there,

I know exactly how u feel.my band worked well about 7 years.i went recently for additional fill after 6 years of being happy...started 2 gain weight so i i thought i'll do with a wee fill 2 get me back on truck.i had no restriction after so i went 2 same nurse 2 do a refill but I suggested 2 check how much Fluid is in the band...supposed 2 b 5.5ml...she could hardly get any fluid..retried fills but she wasnt getting any fluid back.diagnosis:band leak.i was devastated with the news but because otherwise i feel fine band will stay in.surprisingly i started 2 feel restriction on unfilled band if i dont chew properly.so plan 4 me live with it in...pay attention when eating,exercise willpower...i'll need plenty of that.

Welcome. You are not alone. Found my leak in February, repaired 4/9.

I was very fortunate my Surgeon Office had developed a new technique for injecting a contrast through the port while doing imaging. I also did the Dr ink the Pink Stuff and they watched it as it went down into the stomach to make sure nothing thru was blocked.

I am still fighting Insurance, so be very careful on the IDC Code, and Procedure Code you use. It is my understanding with my insurance, that if you have a malfunctioning medical device, inside your body, regardless of what it was put there for, Surgery should be covered. Do not let put any other codes, like Morbid Obesity Code or BMI Code on the Insurance authorization form they submit. Make sure you call and get a per-authorization. Also, they should be able to deny you based on a pre-exsiting condition. You won't believe how many people don't Insurance Coding.

Your diagnostic code would be:

ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code K95.09

My Procedure code was:

CPT 43888 - Remove and replacement of Lap-Band Port

Also, every time you talk to the Surgeon's Office about Insurance, get Name, Date, and Time, and summary of the conversation. Do this any you speak to your Health Insurance. You might need it. I've been messed with the hole way.

My two cents are as follows. If your Surgeon didn't discuss the leak the first visit, I'd say you don't have an Expert. I don't want anyone cutting on me that is still learning.

Any questions, let me know.