Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Senior Citizen ESG

I am a 62 year old female who has been a yo-yo dieter all of my life. As part of the preparation for tomorrow's procedure, I had to recount all of my efforts to lose weight. I told the therapists that I have lost enough weight over the years to create a whole other person. Unfortunately, every time I've lost a person, I've found a fatter one to replace her with.

When I made the decision, both emotional and financial, to go ahead with the ESG procedure, I was excited and hopeful. Now less than 24 hours away from the procedure, I'm nervous and worried. I'm happy to see all the positive reports on this forum, but I worry that my age will be a factor. I'm healthy and strong, but I fear that menopause has slowed down my metabolism and put fat in places I didn't have fat before (around my middle, specifically).

I plan on continuing to follow the progress of my fellow ESG'ers and if there's anyone out there who has already been through the procedure and is a around my age, I'd really appreciate their input. Thanks, Judy

Good luck on your sleeve surgery tomorrow. I am 69 years old and I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. It was like getting a new lease on life.

Hello and welcome

you're a few years older than I. I'm 58 and had the Sleeve on July 26th. I started this new journey on April 28th. This is the day I decided to change my eating habits to prepare myself for the big day (surgery). Since than I've lost a total of 64lbs and feel better than I have in 20+ years. I wouldn't change a single moment. I have not gone back to the old me. I wish you the best in this new and exciting lifestyle journey.

I'm 61 and today is the one-month anniversary of my surgery. Including pre-op losses, I've lost 43 pounds. My total for the first month post-op is 17 pounds, so not as fast as many others, but I'm fine with it--can't remember losing 43 pounds before in my life EVER. Very little pain from the surgery, no problem eating and drinking other than getting enough Water in. I'm never hungry and wouldn't eat at all, probably, if not for the ever-constant need to get the Protein counts up. Had no energy for the first three weeks; feeling more normal now if not perky.

I'm also on half the diabetes medication I was beforehand. My blood pressure is "perfect" according to my doctor; if it gets any lower I'll be cutting my medication (that I've been on for decades).

I have a long way to go and it hasn't been easy (the first couple of weeks after surgery kind of suck), but I have not regretted it for a single instance. I'm anticipating a better and healthier future.

You can do this! Good luck.

9 hours ago, Speedmommy said:

Now less than 24 hours away from the procedure, I'm nervous and worried.

It's safer than ever before.

The surgeons are more experienced.

Time has meant an evolution of new knowledge.

I can't diminish that nervousness or anxiety you feel but you can.

Rest assured, you've made the best decision with regard to your track record.

19 hours ago, Speedmommy said:

I am a 62 year old female who has been a yo-yo dieter all of my life. As part of the preparation for tomorrow's procedure, I had to recount all of my efforts to lose weight. I told the therapists that I have lost enough weight over the years to create a whole other person. Unfortunately, every time I've lost a person, I've found a fatter one to replace her with.

When I made the decision, both emotional and financial, to go ahead with the ESG procedure, I was excited and hopeful. Now less than 24 hours away from the procedure, I'm nervous and worried. I'm happy to see all the positive reports on this forum, but I worry that my age will be a factor. I'm healthy and strong, but I fear that menopause has slowed down my metabolism and put fat in places I didn't have fat before (around my middle, specifically).

I plan on continuing to follow the progress of my fellow ESG'ers and if there's anyone out there who has already been through the procedure and is a around my age, I'd really appreciate their input. Thanks, Judy

I'm having surgery 10/5, at 65. I went through menopause early (surgical), and yep, did have a little (I mean little) bit in the middle. However, I ballooned up due to other health issues.

We cannot second guess what may lie ahead for us. But I have a lot of "ologists" who think this is the best way to get control of my health and to enjoy it.

Prayers for a wonderful outcome for you!

18 hours ago, James Marusek said:

Good luck on your sleeve surgery tomorrow. I am 69 years old and I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. It was like getting a new lease on life.

That's what I needed to hear today! Thanks for your generous sharing

So how are you doing Speedmommy? I hope you are happy with your procedure and doing well. I had my WLS at 64. Best thing I ever did for myself. I am not super thin (which I wouldn't want) but am so happy. I feel healthier, have more energy and move with less aches and pains.