Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody on the pre op liver shrinking diet???

My rny surgery is scheduled for surgery 10/25 and I am supposed to start my liquid diet on 10/4, but I've decided to start it today because I had a few cheat meals last week and figured I couldn't hurt anything. Anyways.... is anyone else on a 3-4 week 800 calorie diet consisting of Protein Shakes, broth, sf Jello and popsicles?? I'm finding it really difficult to feel satiated but I've stayed strong today. I did have some broccoli which I deemed was ok for now since technically I'm not supposed to start until 10/4 anyways.... how are you all keeping your sanity? Any advice? Also- I've noticed throughout the day my weight has fluctuated up 5 pounds which usually doesn't happen and I weigh myself constantly. It's obviously Water weight but I'm hoping it doesn't stick around??

I did the Bariatric Fusion liver reduction diet. I had a few roasted chick and broccoli cheat days mixed in. Lots of broth, Jello and tropical popsicles, black coffee. I struggled some but after a few days I did fine, I think mind and body just got used to it. I think it’s a good idea to prepare ourselves mentally for what is to come.

I am on day 4 of the Pre Op liquid diet. It is tough at times. Your mind starts wondering for certain. I can only have broths, Protein Shakes, sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. I hope I am not so sick of the shakes by the time my surgery comes on October 10th, because I will have a two week liquid diet after the surgery. I do not start pureed foods until week 3 after surgery I believe. It is a challenge to say the least. Has certainly made me rethink wanting to get the surgery!

This is the Liver Shrink Diet that my doc uses. I have to start it on 10/24/2017, for surgery on 11/07/2017. :)

LIVER SHRINK DIET
Follow this 2 weeks prior to surgery
Remember: Non-Starchy Vegetables are UNLIMITED on this diet
(Except potatoes, corn, Beans, peas-see attached sheet)
Breakfast
Protein Shake or Protein Bar
(You may use any shake or bar as long as it has 220 or less calories, 1 Og or less fat, and 15-30 g
protein/serving)
Mid Morning Snack
1 small piece of fruit (tennis ball or 1/2 cup) (if you have Diabetes add 4oz low-fat yogurt)
Lunch
Mid Afternoon Snack
1 small piece of fruit (tennis ball or 1/2 cup) (if you have Diabetes add 4oz low-fat yogurt)
Dinner
• 3oz lean meat (the size of a deck of cards)
• Steamed vegetables or salad with fat-free Salad Dressing (2 Tbsp)
• 6 unsalted crackers or 2 slices low-calorie bread or 1 small baked potato (computer mouse)
• Y2 c fruit or 1 small piece of fruit (tennis ball)
Evening Snack
• 1 small piece of fruit (tennis ball or 1/2 cup) (if you have Diabetes add 4oz low-fat yogurt)
Beverages
• You may only have CALORIE-FREE beverages
• NO ALCOHOL!
• Examples: Decaf. Tea, Crystal Light, sugar-free Kool-Aid, Powerade Zero, Water
CLEAR

WOW you are so lucky. lol I am having gastric bypass too and my two week before and two week after is full liquids only! 3-5 Protein Shakes, broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles, you can have crystal light, but honestly is is about it and let me tell you it is TOUGH. I am on day four only and my surgery is the 10th.

I've seen others that said they were on liquid only as well. Ouch!!! This is basically the same diet I had to follow before my lapband a couple of years ago, and I lost 16-18 lbs before my surgery date doing it. I can't imagine doing liquids only!!! My husband did this one before his gastric bypass last year, and did great.

I know, it seems so extreme. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is because we have to do the same thing for two weeks after the surgery? I don't know. I know I did Quick Weight Loss one time, had a special diet for three days of two eggs, veggies and chicken and an orange and in three days I lost 11 lbs, some people lost 16 or more. I doubt I will lose 11 lbs or so from these two weeks of no eating, but I am sure they have their reasons and as much as I am having to pay, I will follow the directions as I don't want to fail! lol

I did 25 days of 2 shakes and then half a chicken breast with broccoli and now I am doing 4 shakes (no broth no jell-o no popsicles) I am really having a hard time. I have been getting headaches and I have very little energy, Dr says all normal and to stick with it for the surgery I am good to go with a weigh in of 298 but her would like to see me down another 5-10 pounds by the 9th

Starting weight 307 weigh in on 9-25 298 weight today 291

That must be nice. I am on Day 8 of liquids and I can tell you I am sick of it! And then two more weeks of it after surgery. Don't know if I can stomach all of that. Already sick of Protein Shakes for sure. What type of surgery are you having? It seems funny to me that many surgeons don't do much of a pre op diet but some do a full 14 days. Don't see how they could be so far apart?

Who knows what the reasoning is starting weight, medical issues, Dr. preference

I've been on it for 13 days tomorrow is my last day before surgery. I've lost 15 lb, and once I figured out the headache only came when I was a little dehydrated and I drink Water it was highly doable. I've had lots of unsweetened tea mostly hot, and Crystal Light Lemonade. But really have felt pretty good. grateful my liver will be as small as it can be.

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is the Liver Shrink Diet that my doc uses. I have to start it on 10/24/2017, for surgery on 11/07/2017. [emoji4]
LIVER SHRINK DIET
Follow this 2 weeks prior to surgery
Remember: Non-Starchy Vegetables are UNLIMITED on this diet
(Except potatoes, corn, Beans, peas-see attached sheet)
Breakfast
(You may use any shake or bar as long as it has 220 or less calories, 1 Og or less fat, and 15-30 g
protein/serving)
Mid Morning Snack
Lunch
Mid Afternoon Snack
Dinner
• 3oz lean meat (the size of a deck of cards)
• Steamed vegetables or salad with fat-free Salad Dressing (2 Tbsp)
• 6 unsalted crackers or 2 slices low-calorie bread or 1 small baked potato (computer mouse)
• Y2 c fruit or 1 small piece of fruit (tennis ball)
Evening Snack
• 1 small piece of fruit (tennis ball or 1/2 cup) (if you have Diabetes add 4oz low-fat yogurt)
Beverages
• You may only have CALORIE-FREE beverages
• NO ALCOHOL!
• Examples: Decaf. Tea, Crystal Light, sugar-free Kool-Aid, Powerade Zero, Water
CLEAR

Wow!! I wish I could eat off that list on my pre op diet lol. Tomorrow is my official start date but I’ve been easing myself into my 21 day 3 week liquid diet. Just Protein Shakes, popsicles, sf Jello and broth for me... oh and Water. Here’s to a long 3 weeks.... but sooo worth it. I’m excited to see what I lose but my surgeon said it may not be much it varies. Crazy to see how different surgeons have different pre op requirements