Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nerves or just really changing my mind?

My surgery is coming up fast (10/2). I have been doing my liquid diet since 9/18. That overall has been alright, not too bad. I am starting to wonder if I am making the right decision to have gastric bypass. I do not know if it is just my nerves kicking in since I am nervous about surgery, or if I am really doubting my decision to have the surgery. Did anyone else feel this way before surgery?

My surgery is coming up fast (10/2). I have been doing my liquid diet since 9/18. That overall has been alright, not too bad. I am starting to wonder if I am making the right decision to have gastric bypass. I do not know if it is just my nerves kicking in since I am nervous about surgery, or if I am really doubting my decision to have the surgery. Did anyone else feel this way before surgery?

I felt like that the week before my surgery. I was a bundle of nerves and anxiety. I had to look back at all I had to do to get to the surgery stage and that opened my eyes. I also had to evaluate my life for the last ten years. I tried so many times to lose weight on my own and it never lasted. I'd get sick of the diet and gain more weight. I finally realized I really needed this WLS tool to get me healthy again. I wanted to be around to see my daughter graduate from college, get married, and have grad babies! I always put everyone before myself and now I had to put me first and be a bit selfish. I had RNY 6/21/17 and I wouldn't change a thing. I am now the lightest I've been in over 8 years. That sense of accomplishment is awesome. My back and knees no longer hurt and I have energy to spare.
This is a big decision to make and you've done that already. You chose to change yourself and get healthy. You can do this! Keep your chin up! Feel free to PM me if I can help you I will. Good luck in your decision. Keep us posted!

I don't think you'd be normal if you didn't question this decision. Its a life changing decision. Instead of chosing day to day and meal to meal whether or not you will be working to get healthy, you are making that decision for the rest of your life! Surgery is no small thing. But you're changing your life for the better and sometimes we have to make tough decisions for a brighter future.

Sent from my LGL64VL using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a huge life change, and I'm finding the pre op has made me clear that while nervous, this is the best health decision I could make. And having struggled with WL for a long time, my successes didn't stay very long. I do realise it's a tool, not the end game.

Try writing down why you wanted it. Then right down your concerns. Compare them, think about them, and maybe talk to a close friend. You'll know what's right for you..

Thank you. I also am doing this because I want to watch my kids grow up and be there when they have kids someday. I have been overweight since I was a child. Lose weight put it back on, and then some. I know this is a tool, and I am ready to make the necessary changes. I really think the actual surgery part is just freaking me out.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:38 PM, bams said:

Thank you. I also am doing this because I want to watch my kids grow up and be there when they have kids someday. I have been overweight since I was a child. Lose weight put it back on, and then some. I know this is a tool, and I am ready to make the necessary changes. I really think the actual surgery part is just freaking me out.

That is an excellent reason to have the surgery. At your stage I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Honestly it's not that life changing. For the first year you'll lose a lot of weight and have to eat a special diet then your weight will level off and you'll have to work to maintain your weight loss. You will be able to eat most if not all the crappy food that made u fat in the first place after 2 years. And u can gain it all back if you resort to your old eating habits. The first year is the most change but in the course of a life it's not much time. It's an opportunity to heal yourself from obesity and create an improved healthy lifestyle. It is not a curse but an opportunity to people who have had a hard time losing weight.

And taking some Vitamins for rest of life is not really a big deal! I take 4 vitamins a day. 2 Breakfast 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner.

It is a tool I plan to use wisely. If you do not make lifestyle changes you will definitely gain it all back. Thanks for the advice.