Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 on this pre-op diet

I dont know if anyone has experienced what I have been experiencing restless nights?? For the past few days since I started the liver shrinking diet, I have been having the hardest time falling asleep!

My headaches are bad as well OMG! I keep reminding myself that I can do this!

Surgery date: OCT. 3

Carb withdrawal. ((hugs)) Drink lots of Water. Maybe take a calcium/magnesium supplement before sleep and that might help you relax. At least that's what I do...

Oh my! my headaches disappeared by morning of day 4. I hope you are feeling better. I take 5 mg of melatonin about 30 minutes before bed. But you have to be laid down in the 30 minutes, or it kind of wears off, IMHO.

I have 8 days to go

Oh my! my headaches disappeared by morning of day 4. I hope you are feeling better. I take 5 mg of melatonin about 30 minutes before bed. But you have to be laid down in the 30 minutes, or it kind of wears off, IMHO.
I have 8 days to go

Thank you for that! Yes they are BAD! I will try that thanks a million! We got this!

Carb withdrawal. ((hugs)) Drink lots of Water. Maybe take a calcium/magnesium supplement before sleep and that might help you relax. At least that's what I do...

Thank you!! My friend also said caffeine withdrawals, quite frankly I believe my body is having all types of withdrawals lol! Thank you so much! I will try every tip given to me

11 hours ago, jessim78 said:

restless nights?

For my first two nights, I had a couple of unexpected middle-of-the-night trips to the toilet to urinate. And I probably took longer to get back to sleep.

That was probably major extra Water loss in losing a few pounds quickly and processing three Protein Shakes and extra drinking water. It might have also been the adjustment to the higher-protein/lower-carbohydrate regimen.

I'm now at day 14 and the 10 of the 11 nights since the first two have been superb. 7:35 to 9:15 sleep according to my Vivofit and 45% to 55% of that in the deep sleep zone. The only night that was different was after my day at the day surgery centre where I slept or was under anaesthetic for nearly five hours between 11am and 7pm.

You may improve after another night or two. Do you wear a fitness band that measures your sleep and movement?

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

17 hours ago, jessim78 said:

I dont know if anyone has experienced what I have been experiencing restless nights?? For the past few days since I started the liver shrinking diet, I have been having the hardest time falling asleep!

My headaches are bad as well OMG! I keep reminding myself that I can do this!

Surgery date: OCT. 3

My headaches stopped about day 5, I'm on day 16 of the pre op diet, it's intense. I'm not sure if you all are on the same diet I'm on.

I'm not allowed to have protein/meal replacement shakes until post surgery during the liquid diet.

The biggest thing that I've had to get used to is meal prepping. I meal prep like 4 chicken breast that I cut into strips every Sunday and portion them out for the 9oz of Protein I'm allowed a day, it's obnoxious but I've already lost the 5% of my body weight so I would say it's working.

You too will get passed the headaches!

I'm just short of a year out and remembering very well about how the pre-op diet felt. It was hard! The headaches (and super crankiness!) were from a withdrawal of all the crap I had been used to "medicating" myself with. (Carbs, sugar, caffeine).

The happy news is that 1) it gets a tad easier after a week and 2) you can think of it as your body "cleaning house". Getting rid of the bad stuff and prepping you for a lifetime of health.

Hang in there, you'll be at your surgery date before you know it! :)

PS: edited to add: I also had DREAMS about food! I clearly recall a dream where I was hiding with a huge burger in hand, trying to hide it from my hubby. lol!!

Edited by The New Kel

3 hours ago, StephersSweet said:

My headaches stopped about day 5, I'm on day 16 of the pre op diet, it's intense. I'm not sure if you all are on the same diet I'm on.

I'm not allowed to have protein/meal replacement shakes until post surgery during the liquid diet.

The biggest thing that I've had to get used to is meal prepping. I meal prep like 4 chicken breast that I cut into strips every Sunday and portion them out for the 9oz of Protein I'm allowed a day, it's obnoxious but I've already lost the 5% of my body weight so I would say it's working.

I don't get to have any foods, just liquids for 14 days for pre op. It is very hard.

OH you guys mean the pre op diet directly before the surgery, I think we have to fast the day before, but other than that yeah we're on what my best friend calls a starvation diet. lol

1 hour ago, KH1958 said:

I don't get to have any foods, just liquids for 14 days for pre op. It is very hard.

For my first two nights, I had a couple of unexpected middle-of-the-night trips to the toilet to urinate. And I probably took longer to get back to sleep.< br> That was probably major extra Water loss in losing a few pounds quickly and processing three Protein Shakes and extra drinking water. It might have also been the adjustment to the higher-protein/lower-carbohydrate regimen.
I'm now at day 14 and the 10 of the 11 nights since the first two have been superb. 7:35 to 9:15 sleep according to my Vivofit and 45% to 55% of that in the deep sleep zone. The only night that was different was after my day at the day surgery centre where I slept or was under anaesthetic for nearly five hours between 11am and 7pm.
You may improve after another night or two. Do you wear a fitness band that measures your sleep and movement?

No i dont but last night was the first night i actually had a good sleep.. so hopefully tonight i will too! Crossing fingers🤞🏽🤞🏽
Going on day 5 in liquid diet
5 more days till surgery day!

I'm not allowed to have protein/meal replacement shakes until post surgery during the liquid diet.< br> The biggest thing that I've had to get used to is meal prepping. I meal prep like 4 chicken breast that I cut into strips every Sunday and portion them out for the 9oz of Protein I'm allowed a day, it's obnoxious but I've already lost the 5% of my body weight so I would say it's working.

Omg you poor thing that is intense! I am allowed to eat sugar free foods like Jello, pudding, etc and of course the broths, Protein Shakes which i drink twice a day, decaff coffee with skim milk, 1 cup serving of non starchy veggies like, broccoli, carrots, etc. for 7-14 days.. my biggest thing too was the meal prep! I always relied on fast foods or anything made, easy fix, but now thats all I do lol.
So far the headaches have gotten better! Wishing you the best!