Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Tastebuds Changes: tell me yours

I read that scrambled eggs are the last ones to try and hardest on the stomach. They say try poached and fried before scrambled.

Dangit! I wish I would have read that before trying them. Scrambled eggs felt like rocks! My tastebuds haven't really changed. Im craving veggies though. I still like the same things. I know a lot of people are different though.

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

Dangit! I wish I would have read that before trying them. Scrambled eggs felt like rocks! My tastebuds haven't really changed. Im craving veggies though. I still like the same things. I know a lot of people are different though.

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I know. It seems like some docs even tell people to try them first.

I can’t handle dairy at all. I have to make my Protein Shakes with Water. I hated any artificial sweetener before, even Splenda. I was worried about what I was going to eat/drink once I couldn’t have sugar. Now it doesn’t bother me at all. I took a very small sip of my daughters sprite this evening and it tasted terrible. Way too sweet!

I, too have experienced a lactose intolerance. My bypass was on 9.1.17. I wonder if this will last long. My nutritionist said it may be temporary, but yikes is it inconvenient!

9 minutes ago, suzieM said:

I, too have experienced a lactose intolerance. My bypass was on 9.1.17. I wonder if this will last long. My nutritionist said it may be temporary, but yikes is it inconvenient!

I had rny 10/17/17 & had it the whole first month but then it got better. I still have a little but nothing like the first month. I can handle cheese & milk fine but ice cream & Protein Shakes give me gas :( (but not the awful, AWFULLLL smell like right after surgery. TMI?!😂

I hope yours is temporary too, everyone’s body changes with this and it’s typical to have lactose intolerance post op that does last, however. 😬 If so can you take a gas pill every morning? That helped me. Hugs and keep your chin up! Jen

Edited by RNY-Fall-2017

The sensitive nose thing for sure, one week post-op and the seafood department at Kroger nearly knocked me flat.

I'm at 2 weeks out now, and I still can't stomach the premier shakes, I have to use the "clear" Protein Drinks. Crystal light is way too sweet, and I don't even want to think about SF Jello or popsicles.

I have a lot of "head hunger" cravings, but who knows what those foods would even taste like to me now.

My favorite yogurt tasted weird and bitter, but now I LOVE a flavor I used to be ambivalent about. So weird.

Sweet things! I used to eat so much sugar. I bought some of that low calorie Gatorade, which before I would have said was too bland but it’s SO SWEET now. I can’t eat it. I definitely am preferring sour or salty tastes now.

Nestle Splash Acai Grape; always thought it was mildly grape taste. now it is slightly sweet and the fruit flavor is. intensified. But alas most of the shakes are thick, sweet and too intense in flavor. So I thin them down to half strenght with skim or 1% milk. That way I still get my Protein, just takes longer to get it all down.

My tastes seemed to be heightened for things that are sweet, salty, spicy, sour, etc. As in, if something is sweet, I feel like it is REALLY sweet. I pick up a "chemical" taste in things that I never did before. My pouch cannot seem to deal with any hot spices. I have not found aversions to any foods yet, but I do not have craving for anything either.

I don't know what it is about regular Water, but it is a struggle. I do much better with tea, crystal light, coffee, or anything with flavor than I do with plain water.

I think some of this has to do with my pouch, but also, not eating anything for about 6 weeks between preop and purees. I remember crying in the first couple of weeks because I did not think I could stomach one more Protein Shake. I think having only liquids for so long kinda reset my tasters, just like when I used to go without soda for a long time and then be turned off when I tried it again.

I agree with everyone on the scrambled eggs being tough to stomach!

I never used to turn down any food even if it was not quite to my tastes, I just ate it. Now, I am extremely picky about flavor, consistency, freshness, etc. I only get so many calories a day and I fill up fast, so it better be good :-).

And you know eating isn’t satisfying anymore. It’s so weird. But it’s a good change not to use food as an emotional crutch anymore. I made this great dinner tonight skinless chicken breast with a homemade shake and bake and steamed green bean and mashed potatoes and a chicken gravy. So good right and then 3-4 bites and I was done. Tasted good the first bite then ehh. Has anyone experienced this too?

I'm 11 months out now so things I didn't like post op I like again, but I remember early on I really LOVED spicy things and put hot salsa on anything I could. Previously I didn't like spicy food very much.

And you know eating isn’t satisfying anymore. It’s so weird. But it’s a good change not to use food as an emotional crutch anymore. I made this great dinner tonight skinless chicken breast with a homemade shake and bake and steamed green bean and mashed potatoes and a chicken gravy. So good right and then 3-4 bites and I was done. Tasted good the first bite then ehh. Has anyone experienced this too?
Yep! Same here! Had surgery about 3 weeks ago. I have not really enjoyed the taste of food since. Everything (even things I enjoyed before surgery) has just kind of tasted meh. It's a weird feeling but definitely helps with mental cravings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yea Team. We are on our way losers bench Here we are!!